Crank no start after a longer than normal start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigRoadHog02

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post so hopefully I can explain this good.
I have a 2004 Tahoe 5.3 4x4 with almost 298,000 miles. It also has an aftermarket remote start, not sure of the brand.
It has been running great for me for a very long time.
But recently I have have had a crank no start condition three times now.
When it happens, I turn the key to start the vehicle and it's like the key sticks for just a couple seconds. I quickly turned the key to the off position and try to start it again and at that time, it cranks but does not start. I did keep trying to start it for a short time then I let it sit over night and try to start it again and it will start at that time. It runs rough for a short time, in my opinion due to the added fuel when trying to start it.
I pulled the key tumbler and ignition switch out, cleaned them and put them back.
Just a couple of days ago, the third time it happened, it seemed as though the started stayed engaged, but I'm sure the key didn't stick but the starter did crank longer than it should have, and it did the crank no start again. This time, I was about to let it sit for a few hours and tried to start it with no success. I could not get back to it for 2 days, but when I did, it started right up.
Thank you in advance!

garyv

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe Z71 and experienced an identical issue last year. You turn the key and all you hear is the engine trying to turnover with no success. And after a while, at least for me a little over an hours wait, try again, the truck will start. Your issue lies with your fuel pump. There's no gas getting to your engine. With the age of your truck and the mileage, it's most likely the culprit.

BigRoadHog02

Reaction score
I have a 2007 Tahoe Z71 and experienced an identical issue last year. You turn the key and all you hear is the engine trying to turnover with no success. And after a while, at least for me a little over an hours wait, try again, the truck will start. Your issue lies with your fuel pump. There's no gas getting to your engine. With the age of your truck and the mileage, it's most likely the culprit.
Thank you garyv,
I have changed the fuel pump several years ago and at that time had the classic symptoms of a bad fuel pump. And once it starts the next day, it runs rough for a fee seconds as though it's cleaning extra fuel out.
If I have this problem again, I have a pressure gauge ready to check.