Dead Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jordankreutzer

Reaction score
My 02 Yukon, has a bad habit of being dead after it sits for more than two days. i have replaced the battery thinking it was bad one, and this was not the case. I have installed an new radio(Pioneer) and in order to get the system to work correctly i had to jump two pins on the extra connector that does not have a place on my aftermarket radio. I believe it is the cable coming from the onstar unit. After jumping the correct wires, i found the the light next to the onstar button stayed on constantly, so i unhooked the connector from the back of the onstar, thinking I solved the problem. I get in my car tonight, after it has sat for two days and all i have is click. Can anyone direct me to what my battery drain might be? thanks guys.

jordankreutzer

Reaction score
That is correct. The radio was in a previous vehicle, and I never had any problems with it then, but that probably, doesn't matter. Also is it possible that a bad ground to the radio is causing the battery to go dead?

Last edited:

Polecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
double check all connections...if it recently started with new HU install, there's your culprit.

JDWX

Reaction score
I'd disconnect it all, and see if that solves it. Then go from there when you're sure THAT is the problem.

"I believe it is the cable coming from the onstar unit." That is something you want to "be sure" of. May be backfeeding something or whatever.

I'm no car electronics genuis, this is just where I'd go with it.

jordankreutzer

Reaction score
so i tried to switch the pins which i jumped and i just discovered today that that was not the culprit. It has to be something with my the h/u but i cannot put my finger on it, im almost ready to just go buy a onstar box, that would integrate my onstar into my new h/u even though i have no use for the onstar. With out the two pins being jumped, i get not sound through the speakers.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should use a voltmeter to check for a parasitic draw. Voltmeters are pretty cheap if you already don't own one, and checking for a draw shouldn't take more than an hour.