Differential Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimweis

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2004 Tahoe w/ 65,000 miles. This weekend I want to change the differential oil in both ends to the $GM synthetic. This unit has an open rear differential since it is equiped with Stabilitrak. How much oil is required and is it true I'm to leave the fluid approx 1/2" below the fill plug hole in both diffs?
Thanks in advance,
Jim
Label.jpg

Last edited:

Blizzardx23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish I could help...but I dont know =/

that new grape scent is fckin funny though hahha...have you smelled it yet? lol....

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fill level to the hole, I think the front takes 2qt rear 2.5 I'd buy 5qt your rear may take more since it's an open carrier. Hopefully the rear on your truck has a drain plug because gm started using AAM axles without a drain plug mid 2000's and it's a pain in the ass to change the fluid with the sway bar and crap in the way. I'd check your glovebox for the G80 RPO designation, most 8.6" 10 bolts in the suvs came with the limited slip (G80). Get a long rubber hose to allow easier fill, it's a bitch to fill the axles in these trucks esp the front. I changed my fluids to royal purple a few months back and the limited slip engages smoother as well as a bump in fuel economy. Make sure to use auto trak II blue fluid for the tcase, only use the gm fluid for these trucks in the transfercase.

Jimweis

Reaction score
Fill level to the hole, I think the front takes 2qt rear 2.5 I'd buy 5qt your rear may take more since it's an open carrier. Hopefully the rear on your truck has a drain plug because gm started using AAM axles without a drain plug mid 2000's and it's a pain in the ass to change the fluid with the sway bar and crap in the way. I'd check your glovebox for the G80 RPO designation, most 8.6" 10 bolts in the suvs came with the limited slip (G80). Get a long rubber hose to allow easier fill, it's a bitch to fill the axles in these trucks esp the front. I changed my fluids to royal purple a few months back and the limited slip engages smoother as well as a bump in fuel economy. Make sure to use auto trak II blue fluid for the tcase, only use the gm fluid for these trucks in the transfercase.
The owners manual states use Dextron-III for the Stabilitrak transfer cases and Auto Trak II for Auto Trak transfer cases.
I will check with the parts dep. I understand they can look up the correct fluid using the Serial #

91RS

Reaction score
The rear diffs take about 2.5 quarts so you'll need 3 bottles for that. The front diff takes about 1.75 quarts so you'll need 2 bottles for that. The parts department at the dealer will be able to look up the correct fluid for the transfer case by your VIN. An 04 Tahoe will not have a drain plug for the rear diff so if you're planning on doing this yourself you better go ahead and get a cover gasket for the rear diff to avoid any leaks.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy a pre-formed gasket for the rear, use some permatex the right stuff

413482KZ5AL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I've been using it for years and never have an issue, an air orbital sander makes quick work to remove the old gasket and clean the surface.

Jimweis

Reaction score
The owners manual states use Dextron-III for the Stabilitrak transfer cases and Auto Trak II for Auto Trak transfer cases.
I will check with the parts dep. I understand they can look up the correct fluid using the Serial #
So much for the dealer finding the fluids for my Stabilitrak TC the parts guy looked up the SN and said the TC requires manual trans oil:eek:

91RS

Reaction score
So much for the dealer finding the fluids for my Stabilitrak TC the parts guy looked up the SN and said the TC requires manual trans oil:eek:

That's probably the case then. Here are the choices for GM transfer cases: ATF, Auto Trak II, GL-5, and Manual Trans Fluid. If the parts department looked up your VIN and they said you need manual trans fluid, then that's what you need. The GM manual trans fluid is red too so don't get confused. Oh, and the transfer case takes about 2.5 quarts if I remember correctly. While you're changing the fluid, you should also check your front diff and make sure the pinion seals and axle seals aren't leaking. They are pretty prone to it.

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
xTooltipElement
Service Information
2004 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | General Information | Maintenance and Lubrication | Specifications | Document ID: 899668
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Fluid Capacities
See Fluid and Lubricant Recommendations for more information. All capacities are approximate. When adding, be sure to fill to the approximate level, as recommended in this manual. Recheck fluid level after filling.

Application
Specification

Metric
English

Axle Capacities

Front Drive Axle (8.25")
1.43 liters
1.51 quarts

Front Drive Axle (9.25")
1.73 liters
1.83 quarts

Rear Drive Axle (8.6")
2.03 liters
2.15 quarts

Rear Drive Axle (9.5")
2.6 liters
2.75 quarts

Rear Drive Axle (9.75")
2.84 liters
3.00 quarts

Rear Drive Axle (10.5")
2.6 liters
2.75 quarts

Engine Cooling System

4.8L (VIN V) with Front A/C
13.6 liters
14.4 quarts

4.8L (VIN V) with Front and Rear A/C
15.0 liters
14.0 quarts

5.3L (VIN T) with Front A/C
13.0 liters
14.0 quarts

5.3L (VIN T) with Front and Rear A/C
15.0 liters
15.8 quarts

6.0L (VIN V)
15.0 liters
15.8 quarts

6.0L (VIN V) with Optional Engine Oil Cooler
14.6 liters
15.4 quarts

8.1L (VIN G) Automatic Transmission
25.0 liters
27.0 quarts

Engine Crankcase

4.8L (VIN V) with Filter
5.7 liters
6.0 quarts

5.3L (VIN T) with Filter
5.7 liters
6.0 quarts

5.3L (VIN Z) with Filter
5.7 liters
6.0 quarts

6.0L (VIN U) with Filter
5.7 liters
6.0 quarts

8.1L (VIN G) with Filter
6.1 liters
6.5 quarts

Transmission

4L60-E 4 Spd. HMD Auto Oil Pan Removal
4.7 liters
5.0 quarts

4L60-E 4 Spd. HMD Auto After Complete Overhaul
10.6 liters
11.2 quarts

4L80-E Auto Oil Pan Removal (MT1)
7.3 liters
7.7 quarts

4L80-E Auto (MT1) After Complete Overhaul
12.8 liters
13.5 quarts

Fuel Tank

Tahoe/Yukon
98.4 liters
26.0 gallons

Suburban/Yukon XL (1500 Series)
117.3 liters
31.0 gallons

Suburban/Yukon XL (2500 Series)
145.7 liters
37.0 gallons

Transfer Case

Borg Warner 4481 (NR3)
1.4 Liters
1.5 Quarts

Borg Warner 4482 (NR4)
1.4 Liters
1.5 Quarts

New Venture Gear 246 (NP8)
1.9 Liters
2.0 Quarts

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Jimweis

Reaction score
Changing the lubricant didn't eliminate the slight whine. The front drain plug had allot of metal on it. I took it back to the dealer, they said it is the rear differential that is making the noise.
It sure sounds as if it's coming from the front diff. :rolleyes2:
They said they will repair it under warranty. I found a TSB on the rear diffs about gear whine.
It goes in on Tuesday for the rear diff repair, I guess we'll find out which end it is?:confused2:

Last edited:

Jimweis

Reaction score
Update, they found the pinion bearings to be a bit loose in the rear, replaced, not it, found the side carier bearing visibly bad in the front diff, replaced that. They thought they had it, not. Now they are back looking into the rear diff as still having something bad.

lovemytaho

Reaction score
diff oil

I have 02 Tahoe rear drive I change my diff .oil but I didn't put synthetic oil I just put regular SAE 80W90 diff oil is that ok? please any advise?
thankyou