DJM Free travel mod DONE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just did the DJM Free travel mod that they mention on their website and the one everyine talks about here. All I have to say is it's not as easy as they say it is.
A couple of things to know:
1. on the drivers side you are so close to the gas tank that you either risk cutting it or drop the tank. Or stop short and break the rest off (thats what I did). There is no chance of you getting a cut off wheel up in there.
2. cutting the inside of the passenger side is impossible to get your head and a helmet up there. So your cut aint gonna look pretty.
3. although they recommend that you use a plasma, I think it would be almost impossible if you don't.
4. Oh and there is no mention of dropping the spare tire. A MUST!
5. I did this all on the floor and not on a lift. Which means the hole that had to be drilled, I had to use a right angle drill so that I could get it in there straight enough.

All that said, you do get a lot more clearence and in all it only took about 2 hours (with plasma cutter). I am not sure how it is going to ride yet, when I was putting my wheels back on I found a nail in one. So I have to get that fixed but I will let you know.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How does it ride? I'm doing mine after it comes back from paint next week, I have a plasma cutter and lift so it should be pretty easy esp with some help from my buddy.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will let you know how it rides, but like I said watch for the gas tank.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i did the right side when i ran out of work the other day and going to do the left side here soon as well. I ended up putting a screw jack under the diff and removed the spring to ge the cut right. I also did notice the driver side clearance with the gas tank. Not sure if im going to have a problem with it, but have to get it done

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Made a HUGE difference on mine right after I did my 3/5 drop. Once the brackets are out of the way and the axle doesn't bottom out on the frame anymore it rides a lot smoother.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I was noticing was when it does bottom out it, you will deffinatly know!

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, this is such a great mod. It did not take me too long to do it either. Remover the tires and lift the rear so the bracket is easily accessible. A plasma would have been great but a heavy duty reciprocating saw is just as productive along with a grinder. There was no need to remove the spare tire. I also put the new bumpstop on the axle instead of the frame. Since the gas tank maybe a little in the way no spark works the best for this job.

stockergt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well since I have been carpooling to work lately. (which has dissapointed a few students they always like to oogle the hoe.) But I finally drove it and it rides like it's a factory ride. I should have done this right when I did the drop.

I ended up getting two sets of bumpstops so I have one for sale $14bucks, let me know.

hdhomer

Reaction score
Yes, this is such a great mod. It did not take me too long to do it either. Remover the tires and lift the rear so the bracket is easily accessible. A plasma would have been great but a heavy duty reciprocating saw is just as productive along with a grinder. There was no need to remove the spare tire. I also put the new bumpstop on the axle instead of the frame. Since the gas tank maybe a little in the way no spark works the best for this job.
I plan on doing this this week also. I don't have access to a plasma cutter so I'll have to go the Sawzall route. How did mounting the bumpstop on the axle workout? Sounds like a more logical placement to me. No need to line up the axle with the frame. Any problems with the Sawzall? I'm concerned with generating sparks right next to the gas tank. Thx in advance.

DenaliAnyone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing this this week also. I don't have access to a plasma cutter so I'll have to go the Sawzall route. How did mounting the bumpstop on the axle workout? Sounds like a more logical placement to me. No need to line up the axle with the frame. Any problems with the Sawzall? I'm concerned with generating sparks right next to the gas tank. Thx in advance.

Using the sawzall should work out just fine. Mounting the bumpstop to the axle mount worked out just fine and it was much easier to drill a hole.

DarkTahoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to know what this mod does for the truck its the first i heard of it?

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wanting to know what this mod does for the truck its the first i heard of it?

It increases the distance from the bump stop to the axle. this is only good if your truck is lowered. with the suspension loaded, i only had about 3 inches of travel before my bumpstop would hit ( im lowered 3/5) after you cut the bump stop bracket out, you gain another 4" or so.

hdhomer

Reaction score
Using the sawzall should work out just fine. Mounting the bumpstop to the axle mount worked out just fine and it was much easier to drill a hole.
Ok. I used a Sawzall and a dozen blades. It worked out fine. After I finished cutting the bumpstop off I noticed that my exhaust is now the limiting factor. I jacked up the rear end up with the springs out and it hits my exhaust with about an inch to go. I have been driving over the weekend without ever bottoming out.
Why is DJM the only mfg. that recommends this mod with a 5" drop? I have the Mcgaughy's kit. I should have done this 5 years ago when I originally dropped my truck.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
IS this necessary if only doing a 3 inch rear and a 2 inch front drop?
If you go about 3" or less, you still have plenty of clearance, so you shouldn't need to do this as long as your springs aren't too soft. Any more than 3", I'd definitely recommend this mod.

alex29573

Reaction score
or you can trim the stock bump stops

the free travel mod eliminates the stock bump stops with the bracket and installs new bump stops...

kandywhips504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much was this kit??, my tahoe bottoms out all the time in the back and its very loud, need something to make it ride like it used to without the drop

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
how much was this kit??, my tahoe bottoms out all the time in the back and its very loud, need something to make it ride like it used to without the drop
It's not actually a kit. The rear bumpstop brackets are welded to the frame rails right above the rear axle. The brackets extend down from the frame about a couple inches, then the bumpstops are attached to this. So all you have to do is cut of the brackets and remount the bumpstops. Removing these brackets and remounting the bumpstops w/o them will give you at least another couple inches of travel between the axle and bumpstops.