do u know jack about this stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbenson

Reaction score
got this stuff from my cus. for a bill and he told me it was a 1000 watt R.F. amp and 2 MTX 12"s. i know jack about systems except the basic wire job and thats only cus i've had enough help installing them. now i'm figuring that it's not a 1000watts but i have heard is system bump decent in the back of a caddy. i don't want deffing bass but do like to feel a little thump.
if anyone can tell me anything about this stuff please let me know. i've been lookin around on the web and came across this info on the amp.
2x30w @ 4ohms (12.6v-<.05%THD)
2x60w @ 2ohms (12.6v-<.1%THD)
1x120w @ 4ohms bridged (12.6v-<.1%THD)- i was told to bridge it.
requires 30amp fuse and was made in 1996.
i've found nothing on the sub except they're bout as old as the tahoe they're going in.
so if it's bridged does that mean it's only 120w max or what?
if that's all it is and sound like crap then i'll just use it to run my stock speakers and buy a bigger amp.
DSCN2923.jpg

DSCN2921.jpg

DSCN2926.jpg

DSCN2929.jpg

here's the box for them. the crappy square ports were block off and looked bad so i'm going to make new face and recarpet the hole thing.
DSCN2925.jpg

sorry bout the big pics still trying to figure this stuff out

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant read the Model number on that AMP you have the model number?

and on the Subs - your probably looking at a 500w max rating.. from what i can find

Same subs in a bandpass box : http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ele/680959003.html

Tracked the Sub down - on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Old-School-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

It is 500w

500 Watts / Single Voice Coil
12" Subwoofer for Slammin' Bass
Magnet Weight: 33 ounces
Nominal Impedance: 12 ohm
Frequency Responce:27-150Hz
Sensitivity: 87.8dB
Mounting Depth 5-11/16"
Voice Coil Diameter: 2 inches

But, now that Auction says 500w RMS... so i dunno.. i wouldn't try to put a whole lot on it

Im not getting anythin on the Punch 60 other than people like them.. but that must be good right?

Last edited:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
That amp will only handle a 2ohm stereo or 4 ohm mono load. Those subs are single 4ohm coil subs, which means if you wire the subs parallel and bridge it, you'll either fry the amp or it will go into thermal a lot (if it has a thermal protection circuit). That isn't a very well matched set. I'd sell it and spend the money on newer equipment that is better matched. You'll get better sound and performance and will be happier in the end. Not to mention those subs and amp are very old. But, you can always install it with the subs wired individually to each channel. Won't get a lot of power to the subs, but since you mentioned you don't want a lot of pounding bass, this may be just right for you. And if you want more, you can always sell the equipment and upgrade and at least your wiring will already be complete.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe if you upgrade the amp itself, you can keep the older amp if you add more, or smaler speakers somewhere else in the vehicle. Like if you slapped in some kick panel speakers, for example.

jbenson

Reaction score
model #31P2B6J027794 i think that's what it is.
i checked ebay and must not have seen those.
i missunderstood my cus when he said it was a 1000watt amp, i think he said it's no 1000watter. but yes seen there was alot of people that liked it. im gunna keep it and use it on componets but for now i'll bridge it then get a bigger amp.
thanks

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused. You say you don't know jack, but then your just "gunna" bridge the amp for now and use it for it componets down the road. Sounds like jack to me, or atleast a close relative. And you see plain as day it's a 60 watt amp. 30 x 2 @ 4ohm 60 x 1 @ 2ohm. Hence the name Punch 60. Did you post pics just to post pics? IDK. But I didn't see any fuses on the amp. I would put one in the power line. And those subs look like those old school free air subs. But hey, if it knocks it knocks right.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that amp has been painted white!!!! that gear is pretty old models.but if they
works fine good deal.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea that amp is nice but it sure as $hit ain't pushing 1000 watts. i would use that amp to push one of those subs, build a custom box for it and sell that box and the other sub. i think that would give u nice bass that fits with the music and ain't annoying to yer neighbors. plus you would have that other stuff to sell and get some $, not to mention the space savings