Does Automatic Lights affect HID Conversion Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

simsrd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 2007 LTZ Tahoe and I'm wanting to put a HID Conversion Kit on it but theres one problem... I've researched this forum to see how the ballast held up to Chevy Tahoe Automatic headlight scheme and i havent found anything. I stopped by a local aftermarket shop yesterday to order a kit but the guy told me that it would be a waist of my money due to how Chevy headlight scheme works now... As you know, Whenever you unlock your doors during a period of the evening the headlights cut on and etc. For those who have the kit installed on their trucks, does the ballast flicker the lights at all, if so would a relay harness prevent the flickering of the lights. Could anyone confirm that this does work and if so explain how. Trying to get all the answers I can before I purchase a kit. I know Cadillac has HID's on their escalades so what prevents me from converting my 07 Tahoe. They are damn near the same truck.

Thanks

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an HID kit on my 06 and my lights come on when i unlock it and they "flicker" or anything everything works great

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pull your DRL fuses. The issue is the remote unlock at night, it turns your headlights on and restarts them when you crank the truck. I believe you can turn this feature off using your truck's DIC.

It isn't good for the lights to cycle on and off, but I don't believe the number of times this instance will happen will negatively effect the ignitor or balast, provided you buy a quality kit and use it with a harness. This is my fourth set of HIDs and I've never had an issue of any kind.

simsrd

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the help.... Its not a complicated task to install the kit myself is it????? What kits do you all recommend...

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, McCulloch kits are good stuff -- link in my sig. Not so sure you need to spend that much money tho. Ollo makes a decent kit that you can get online here from mikemjohnson. There are TONS of opportunities to buy junk from eBay, and I'd be cautious about most of those as you're dealing with a China / Hong Kong seller in most cases. Find a decent online seller, and match it up with your price point, and make sure you get a relay harness with it.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the DRL only matters on gmt 400's (across the board) and gmt 900 gmc yukons, the gmt 800's(across the board) and GMT 900 tahoe/burban, use a seperate bulb for drls so it does not matter. :thumbsup:

also, we have a buick enclave and gmc acadia both with stock hids, and when you unlock the car the lights are on and their fine, but their stock. the hids in my yukon were fine and only flikered because of how i installed them after i turned the car off when the lights went off in 1 minuite.