double din radio install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevy_boy87

Reaction score
heyy tahoe people i need some help im tryin to install a double din tv raido in my 97 tahoe sport but just lil problem it dont fit n im not sure wat bracket kit to buy to make sure stay in place because the older tahoes wernt made for that big a raido i just dont feel like paying for something i can do...iv had a differnt tahoe before n had my sounds all hooked up n hidden so any help with that i will appreciate thxxx

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, spellcheck

2nd, the opening on the late 90's model burbs and tahoes is a din and a half, you can find adapters to use standard DIN decks or search out a din and a half deck, but they are few and far between for a good one.

The only way to install a double din deck would be to modify the dash, relocating the temperature controls and likely modifying the opening to fit depth-wise

Return it, and get a single-din pop-up receiver if you must have video

chevy_boy87

Reaction score
ok thx thats what i keep hearing n sorry bout the spelling i was half out of it other night but ya i have a pioneer avh-p3300bt im trying to put in the tahoe just looking for some help i like to do my self n looking for pointers thx for the help thoo

Ice98

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really isn't much to be said, you will have to do some pretty 1-off modifying to get it to fit, you really will have a much easier time getting a fold-out single din, but I wish you the best of luck anyways

I went for a single-din deck, and replaced the stock CD player with a pocket, extra storage and it was easy to install since crutchfield offers 1.5din to single din adapters

chevy_boy87

Reaction score
Thx il try looking into it more to where to cut n lower heat n ac unit lower...i already have the raido n think will look better then flip out...but thx for the help man i appreciate it

chevy_boy87

Reaction score
got it in

well heres lil what i did with only cutting the bezel a bit n useing stock radio bracket n a lil 03 mounting kit

Attachments

• received_1586739684903517.jpeg
    received_1586739684903517.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 24

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, near $500, I spent nothing on my DD install....
Heres my install, still need to fill in the side pieces, but bigger fish to fry for now....

Attachments

• CKDoubleDinDash1.jpg
    CKDoubleDinDash1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 36

chevy_boy87

Reaction score
oo dat looks good too like how bottom not cut like i did but mine ok for now lol

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I did was take the bottom off the stock radio (had a steel plate with the clips on it, I gently removed the plastic clips, tack welded a couple pieces of steel in to secure the radio to the steel frame in key locaitons and placed the original plastic clips back on, trimmed the dash bezel top slightly, and then cut the top of the radio box in the dash out with a sawzall (one big square on top and a small upper side piece).....

chevy_boy87

Reaction score
ya i see i got the stock radio brackets on too but cut top an bottom of bezal but its ok with me tho was a test i have a new bezal also but imma keep this way thxx tho

rushtk

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but there is a company that will send you a modded dash for a double and all you have to do is a little cutting. exact instructions. I'm ordering one in july.

getonerd

Reaction score
Metra just came out with two double din kits
Metra 95-3003G and DP-3003

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made mine fit with just a few simple cuts to the inside of the dash (I used a Pioneer AVH-x2600bt receiver in mine and a stock radio bottom, cut the plastic support in the back and the very top of the dash front.)