Edge Evolution or Volant Intake?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everybody? I would like some input in a little issued that I'm having. I want to ad a Volant Air Intake and also an Edge Evolution; the problem is that I can only do one of the two, you know I'm on a tight budget and a lor of trouble if my wife finds out jaja...:D Can any body guive their opinnion as to which one shoul I get first? Is the Edge going to give better peformance than the Volant intake. Which one is the best bang for the buck by itself? Any input is well appreciate it I've been dealing with this for two days and it's driving me :crazy: Thanks!

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the edge evolution first, most of the programmers are designed to be use with a stock engine.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also if you go with the programmer you won't even have to pop the hood open to free up some ponies. :cool2:

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both, and I'd recommend getting the Edge first for two reasons:

1) As already pointed out, you don't even have to pop the hood to install it and use it. I got about +2.5 MPG.
2) It's the more expensive of the two. Get the wife used to the idea of spending $$$, then get the Volant intake later.

I got about +2.5 MPG with the Edge and +1 MPG with the Volant.

Good luck, and happy modding!

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fco Gonzo and getwired! That is what I was thinking but I just needed a little push I guess jajaja.... I'm ging to order the Edge from Autoanything they have ot for $399.20 and free overnight shipping. If you guys know of a better deal please let me know. I guess I have to go one step at a time; next I want the Volant CAI and then the Magnaflow cat back, I think that should put some reasonable amount of ponies under the hood of my Kon. Thanks for the input! and by the way Happy New Year to All!!

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both, and I'd recommend getting the Edge first for two reasons: .... 2) It's the more expensive of the two. Get the wife used to the idea of spending $$$, then get the Volant intake later.

I got about +2.5 MPG with the Edge and +1 MPG with the Volant.

Good luck, and happy modding!

I like your thinking!:cool2: :D

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
I just ordered the EDGE for my 07 Tahoe. From the comments I have read this is the most bang for the buck. I had the K&N intake on my 04 Z71 and it did not seem to make much of a diiference except for being rather loud under full throttle. The edge will be here tomorrow and I will let everyone know how it performs By the way, I just joined the forum and I appreciate all of the great info and pics.

z71offroader

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your planning on running regular fuel then i would go with the cai first. but if your going to run premium then go with the edge first.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did your programmer arrive yet?

BtW its a tradition that you have to post a picture of your yukon on your frist couple of posts!

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
I finally installed the edge today. I had 87 in the tank so I used the economy mode this afternoon. I was immediately impressed. Of course I have no idea on fuel economy, but I could tell there was an improvement in power. I was surprised to see power gains in economy mode, but it may have to do with improved shifting. I filled up with 93 on the way home tonight and I will test the Extreme program tomorrow. I will post pics next week.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I received the programer and after battleling with mi firewall to get the software going I was able to update the unit. Just my two cents here; if you have a firewall make sure you disable it before you install the software as it may create a conflict with software connecting with the server that updates the unit. Ok! now to the better part. I will hopefully install inthe morning and since I have full tank of unleaded duel I will have to run on the fuel economy mode. After I burn that tank of gas I will fill with premiun and I will let you guys know how it does. Anyway I did found out that my programer came with the bracket for the sierra instead of the one for he yukon. does anybody know if Edge will trade my bracket for the right one or am I sh@#!t out of luck and have to buy the right one! any input is greatly appreciate it. Anyways I'm really excited!!:ura1: :ura1:

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way guys, I haven't post any pictures of my kon because it is nothing special yet. it is a basic sl2 package with BOSE and Remote Start. I have a lot of proyects for it but you know, my budget is as small as ant steps jajaja..:lol: Slowly but shurely guys! Now I'm hiding money away from my wife to get the Volant CAI and then Magnaflow Catback. After that I'll start the beatufying process...:cool2: They way figure it is first go and then show!!!:jump: Thanks for your input guys!

07TahoeNC

Reaction score
My evolution also came with the wrong bracket for mounting. I guess there are two different dashes. I called EDGE 888-360-3343 and they are shipping me the correct one at no charge. All they asked for was my name and address and the correct mount should be here next week.

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My evolution also came with the wrong bracket for mounting. I guess there are two different dashes. I called EDGE 888-360-3343 and they are shipping me the correct one at no charge. All they asked for was my name and address and the correct mount should be here next week.

Thanks!.. That's great news I' going to call right now:mob:

bshack88

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 07 Yukon XL Denali and I can't find an edge that is made for the 6.2L............ what's everyone else using?

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Edge on 6.2L / 6-Speed (2007+ Yukon Denali)

Link in my sig. Be aware that Edge has no transmission control module (TCM) control at this point, so they cannot control speed limiters, shift points, torque management, etc. There are NO custom options available when tuning with this, just the tunes (one of which is trans only and doesn't do anything).

They've been saying that they're working on this, but I see no evidence of this. They say they won't have anything until summer at the soonest.

NOW, let me again qualify this by saying they do a very nice job with the ECM (engine control module), and there is definitely more power after tuning with this. Just be aware there are no custom tuning parameters (or anything related to TCM control) available on this setup.

I have been considering a DiabloSport Predator, but won't be doing that anytime soon as I'm completely focused on paying off bills for the forseeable future. :eek:

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I finally installed the edge on my Kon and took for a trip. I had her on setup 2 fuel economy because it was full with regular gas. After 330 miles I got an avarage of 19.5 MPG, this thing is awsome!!! I have to clarify that the trip was a mix trip through city traffic, highway and hills. I used to average 17.5 MPG on that same trip without going above 70 MPH and the cruise control on. I probably could have done better but I had a hard time keeping my foot off the gas, even in the fuel economy mode you can feel the difference in power, throttle response and firmer shifting. I'm really happy with this device, it is worth every penny. I will fill up with premium gas and let you know how it does with the extreme power set up.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Link in my sig. Be aware that Edge has no transmission control module (TCM) control at this point, so they cannot control speed limiters, shift points, torque management, etc. There are NO custom options available when tuning with this, just the tunes (one of which is trans only and doesn't do anything).

They've been saying that they're working on this, but I see no evidence of this. They say they won't have anything until summer at the soonest.

NOW, let me again qualify this by saying they do a very nice job with the ECM (engine control module), and there is definitely more power after tuning with this. Just be aware there are no custom tuning parameters (or anything related to TCM control) available on this setup.

I have been considering a DiabloSport Predator, but won't be doing that anytime soon as I'm completely focused on paying off bills for the forseeable future. :eek:

Don't waste more money on a predator, there are plenty of tuners using efi live to crack open the new pcms and get you a way better trans tune and a little bit more power. I would wait a few months and get in touch with any of the bigger tuners (wheatley, nelson, blackbear) for a custom hot tune since you don't mind running the premium (better for these trucks anyway IMO).