Electrical? Fuel? Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95nstyln

Reaction score
Hello all.
To start i would like to say I've been dealing with this issue for about a month now with a 95 tahoe 5.7 TBI.

The issue:
Vehicle stalls and has issues starting back up.

To give some background info, ive had the truck for some time now and had occasional issues that were addressed and no longer became issues (radiator, brakes and suspension work).

One day after driving for about a hour, as i was making a left hand turn my vehicle shut off mid turn. I attempted to start it and failed. Power was good so i let it sit for about 10 min, held the gas pedal down and it fired right up. I cautiously drove home and inspected the vehicle. I could hear the fuel pump kick on everytime and the truck seemed to work when cold. The issue seemed to only happen when warm.
Confused, i took it into a local shop. They advised me that it was the injecters being clogged and flooding the engine. Alright as i am not a ASE mechaninc i said ok and had it replaced. 300$ later i pick up the truck and am advised that the cap/rotor/wires/and plugs needed to be changed as well. Able to do this myself i said no problem. Getting it home and sure enough..same problem car dies and coincidently or not on the same spot as last time...that left hand turn again.
I grab a new tune up kit (plugs/rotor and cap/ wires and air filter). Install everything with the correct firing order and try again...Thr car drives good sounds good... warms up and dies..after letting it cool and holding down the gas it starts up and i inch home.
Defeated, i talk to the local parts shop and am told this is comon and it could be the fuel filter being clogged.
Ok easy enough..I decide to replace both the pump and filter.
After replacing both and trying again...sure enough it dies again. I hold the pedal down and it starts up...100 ft later dies again...

At this point im confused yet again..

New parts:
Injecters
Distributer cap and rotor
Spark plugs and wires
Air filter
Fuel filter
Fuel pump

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

adam74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the same year 2 door. have you checked your iac? if you get a repair manual you can check alot of the sensors with a volt meter. its pretty self explanitory in the book. you could of easily changed the injectors yourself if you did the tune up and fuel pump. get a book and look into how much work it is to replace them. you'll be pretty pissed about spending 300 bucks for it. not trying to bust your balls on this but it was something you could have easily done yourself within 30 minutes. and as far as I know an injector is either good or bad. it won't make a difference from hot to cold on how the injector works. sounds more like a sensor that reads or is controlled by engine temperature. coolant temperature sensor would be another one. and the egr system can give our trucks fits. ive replaced almost everything under the hood on mine lol. done alot of work to it but she runs pretty good now.

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it just do it when turning one direction?

BrokenGQ

Reaction score
If it really is only happening while hot I would start with the ICM and ignition coil. Easy replacements, both of them. Depending on brand/quality it'll be around $80 in parts. They're right next to each other and come off with the same bolts. The coil is riveted in, but the rivets are cheap junk and can be broken off with a hammer/screwdriver combo. I think the replacement for both took me 15 minutes.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with BrokenGQ if it is only hot... been there done that on both.....