Exedition vs Tahoe questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here:thumbsup:

Wanted some input/advise...

I have a 99 Expedition. Had it since new. Very few problems, all minor. It currently has 128,000 miles on it, and still running strong. Thinking about getting a new truck (well I've been telling my self that for the last 3 years,) but this thing keeps running strong.

I've been reading the many Expeditions are in the 150 - 190k range and still up and running.

Ok, enough of that... Besides the whole FORDS SUCK argument, I need some help to make the switch. Never owned a Chevy, always Fords. What have you guys seen as far a reliability in the Tahoes.

I really like a lot of the feature on the new Tahoe (active fuel management, E85, cool dash/info center, overall look, HP, and maybe even the Hybrid)

But, what I love about the Expedition is the key pad on the side, I use that ALL THE TIME! And the 6 speed tranny, and the higher torque numbers...

So, anyways, this is a great form, very informative, just wanted to see about the reliablity issues mainly because my next truck will last me 8 - 10 years again.

Thank,

Lance

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ford sucks :giggling:

ok enough of that,the new key fob with the lcd screen is a lot more fun to use then the numbers on the side.

if you got a yukon which is a gmc tahoe for the most part, you could get a 6 speed with about 400 hp and 417 ft lb's of torque and probably the same if not a little better mpg than your expi.

but reliabillity is awsome, i run HARD, HARD, HARD, i tow 6000 pounds through mountains, passing with full throttle, full throttle starts while towing, i off road, beat the heck out if it and it startes every time day or night, hot or cold. i have 34k and all completly trouble free, i have owned gm all my life except for a for 99 f150 that i bought used and it ran strong but wanted to go back to chevy, and a 05 expi that through a rod at 8k miles.

i just think chevy really builds an awsome truck with awsome fit and finish and cool features.

gm is just kicken but with reviews, like the new acadia/outlook/enclave is out selling by tripple of the ford edge, and gm is a little better financialy right now, plus their out selling toyota, which is the best, i would own a ford WAY before a toyota.

this thing will last easilly to 200k, i got an 87 chevy k5 blaser to 250k running strong, but wanted somthing newer, people here have 93-08 tahoes, some with 200 miles, others with 200k miles, all running strong.

if you have more spacific questions just ask :thumbsup:

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rollin - Thanks, pretty much what I was looking for, and expected the "ford sucks" LOL

I read somewhere on here that the LCD screen/remote/fob thing was coming out. Does anyone have one yet, and what exactly does it show/do?

Lap Top - I'm with you, I see a lot of newer Tahoes on the road here too (Chicago) but also see a TON of older Expeditions out here still. I pulled up to a red light, 3 lanes wide, and we had 3 Expy's all lined up across at the red together. Was pretty cool, I thought.

Anyways, thanks guys. This forum is really informative. Not sure when I'm gonna buy. Auto show comes here in Feb, so I'm sure it'll be after that, but just checkin things out.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Rollin - Thanks, pretty much what I was looking for, and expected the "ford sucks" LOL

I read somewhere on here that the LCD screen/remote/fob thing was coming out. Does anyone have one yet, and what exactly does it show/do?

Lap Top - I'm with you, I see a lot of newer Tahoes on the road here too (Chicago) but also see a TON of older Expeditions out here still. I pulled up to a red light, 3 lanes wide, and we had 3 Expy's all lined up across at the red together. Was pretty cool, I thought.

Anyways, thanks guys. This forum is really informative. Not sure when I'm gonna buy. Auto show comes here in Feb, so I'm sure it'll be after that, but just checkin things out.

I'm not saying the Ford is bad, I just think the Tahoe and Yukon are better looking and We bought in 06 when the body style just came out and it had Flex fuel and Onstar to big selling points for me, Ford doesn't have anything like Onstar. Just please buy American what ever you buy.

T-pole

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I just noticed that I totally hacked "Expedition" Ah, who needs the "P" anyways... LOL

And yeah, the Tahoe does look sweet... A friend just picked one up in October, with the $5,000 cash back, and got it at invoice... He almost had me talked into getting one the next day, but like I said, my truck is still running strong, so I'm just doing research now...

Oh, Rollin - yeah, I looked into the Yukon, but I think if the 5.3 isn't enough, the 6.0 hybrid would fit me better because of the HP/Torque and fuel economy. But, want to wait and see what the real world numbers on it when it comes out...

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I just noticed that I totally hacked "Expedition" Ah, who needs the "P" anyways... LOL

And yeah, the Tahoe does look sweet... A friend just picked one up in October, with the $5,000 cash back, and got it at invoice... He almost had me talked into getting one the next day, but like I said, my truck is still running strong, so I'm just doing research now...

Oh, Rollin - yeah, I looked into the Yukon, but I think if the 5.3 isn't enough, the 6.0 hybrid would fit me better because of the HP/Torque and fuel economy. But, want to wait and see what the real world numbers on it when it comes out...

look in to a denali, thats a 400 hp 6.2 L v-8 and 417 ft bl of torque.

but the lcd gives you close to 1000ft o f range to start/unlock/lock. the remote start lets you view your fuel level, check your tire pressures, change your ac/heat, start the truck, open the lift gate/ lock and un lock. their not out yet, but i have sampled one and its awsome. im gunna find a way to retrofit it to my 06 yukon, and have one already ordered for my 08 denali.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Denali is 380HP stock in the 6.2L / 6-speed. The Esky uses a different tune on the same powertrain for 403HP stock. [I have a CAI and a tuner on my Denali, so I estimate my HP @ around 420. :D]

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, the Denali is 380HP stock in the 6.2L / 6-speed. The Esky uses a different tune on the same powertrain for 403HP stock. [I have a CAI and a tuner on my Denali, so I estimate my HP @ around 420. :D]

i forgot that, but i like to round to the more power, like even though my 5.3 is 295 i say 300 hp.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
i forgot that, but i like to round to the more power, like even though my 5.3 is 295 i say 300 hp.

I'm pretty happy with my 320, as I already got 1 speeding ticket in it going up a hill near my house after we just bought it, (yes it was broken in) I was qwuickly doing 50 up this hill that was posted 45.:mad2:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with my 320, as I already got 1 speeding ticket in it going up a hill near my house after we just bought it, (yes it was broken in) I was qwuickly doing 50 up this hill that was posted 45.:mad2:

the 300 in my yukon is pleanty, and i am really surprised at the low end torque that gets me moving even with 6000 pounds behind me. even at highway speed (70) there is still power there to pass, and with cruze sey at 65 i average 16.4 while towing, intown is 10.2 but i love it enough not to care. :yesnod:

i love the 403 hp in my sierra denali, i wonder why they tuned the sierra like a esclave but teh denali only has 380 and the new hummer h2 has 391, but they all have the same amount of torque:crazy:.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but the lcd gives you close to 1000ft o f range to start/unlock/lock. the remote start lets you view your fuel level, check your tire pressures, change your ac/heat, start the truck, open the lift gate/ lock and un lock. their not out yet, but i have sampled one and its awsome. im gunna find a way to retrofit it to my 06 yukon, and have one already ordered for my 08 denali.

Where did you find the LCD remote? The last I heard on another forum was they were still testing them and they might never get released. :ack:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where did you find the LCD remote? The last I heard on another forum was they were still testing them and they might never get released. :ack:

my dealer has a sample unit in, he let me test it, on an ltz tahoe no less, he said he has not been authorised to sell them yet though, but from hummer and cadillac you can buy them as options now, so i think their gunna sell them.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any price info yet? Probably one of those if you have to ask, you can't afford it deals. :eek:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any price info yet? Probably one of those if you have to ask, you can't afford it deals. :eek:

for a gm suv with remote start, he told me anyware from 200-300, and since im gunna try and retro fit it on my 06 with out remote start its probably gunna be closer to 500-600, so i might hold off for a while and see how i like it on the denali first.

CobraKai

Reaction score
I looked long and hard at the Expy before getting my new Tahoe, and when it came down to it, I liked the Tahoe in every category except for the fold-flat third row. I like the looks of the Tahoe quite a bit more, and there's no comparison for the interior - the Expy dash/interior just looks dated at this point.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
A few years ago I bought an Eddie Bauer Expedition brand new with 13 miles on the clock. It was a nice truck at first, but after about two years I got rid of it because of structural and trans problems. Even though I don't have a new body style 'hoe, I like my current Tahoe much better than the expedition and I've worked on and driven plenty of new GMT-900 trucks to know how much better they are than the Expeditions, IMO.

gmcul8r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, when it comes to SUV's Ford is at the BOTTOM when it comes to depreciation/resale. The Explorer being the worst!

HofB99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I liked the Tahoe in every category except for the fold-flat third row.

3rd row in the Expedition folds flat??? That's news to me... I knew the Navigator had fold flats, but the Expedition, too??? What's the world coming to?!! :lol:

Seriously, though. I truly believe that if Chevy would have included HIDs and 3rd row fold-flats (even as an option), the Tahoe would be complete...what say you, :Chevy: community???