Factory Roof Rack for Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hybridrack

Reaction score
OK, we're going against the grain here... we own a 2008 Tahoe Hybrid. Great car, and would be better if we had a roof rack! The factory did not install (and will not install) a roof rack rail system. Anyone have a solution to this? I've already tried buying the factory rails, without any luck.

aaron72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they don't offer one as they want to keep it as aerodynamic as possible. You'd have to look for a 3rd party one like they have for cars.

Gruson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to add one to mine as well....let me know what you find out.

:)

I might add the spare tire option too they just announced.

riverst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 07 LTZ OEM roof rack and cross bars for sale if you want it.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could probably do it w/ well-nuts. Not sure how the factory mounts it. Might ask riverst.

convoyduel

Reaction score
The factory roof racks are mounted with 5 well nuts per side. As long as you bought a set of factory rails, you can drill the holes yourself and install well nuts or something similar.

hybridrack

Reaction score
Where do I buy factory roof rack rails?

Thanks for the info. Know where I can buy the factory roof rack rails? The dealer tells me they don't sell them.

convoyduel

Reaction score
You have a bad dealer then. GM sells EVERYTHING they put on those vehicles, you just have to have the part number or be able to look it up. I'll see if I can find some part numbers on my set in the garage tonight.

hybridrack

Reaction score
Part numbers?!?

Great - Let me know what you find.

Anyone know if the Hybrid has the framework in the roof to accept the rack rails, or will the headliner have to come down in order to get it installed?

convoyduel

Reaction score
Looking at my set, the rails consist of 4+ pieces per side plus crossbows. Each side has a metal frame and three attached plastic feet. Those feet are comprised of a top and a bottom that are assembled together and then snap onto the metal frame.

The metal frame has the following two numbers stamped into it:

The rear foot has the following number stamped into it:

I didn't pull the other rail out, but with those numbers, a GM parts counterman should be able to pull up the entire assembly.

hybridrack

Reaction score
Convoy duel - rules!

Thanks for the part number info. I'll try the dealer and hopefully this does the trick!

Could you tell how the unit was mounted to your roof? I presume there is a female thread embedded in the roof of the tahoe that accepts the bolts which hold the rails down?

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're called Wellnuts. It's a rubber sleeve w/ a metal, threaded insert. As you tighten the screw, the insert compresses the rubber behind the roof metal. Not unlike a Mollybolt.

convoyduel

Reaction score
A rubber well nut should work, although they tend to tear when they are subjected to a strong load. The factory installation features a riveted nut assembly with lips on the outside and inside of the roof skin. I was surprised at the lack of waterproof sealant on the factory installation. It appears that they pin their hopes primarily on the seal of the plastic feet against the roof.

convoyduel

Reaction score
Not on the exterior surface on my Tahoe. It's just metal to metal and the bottom edge of the rivnut is serated, leaving small gaps between the surfaces. I sealed mine with several coats of paint. the other thing that surprised me was that the Rivnuts were installed after the body was painted, leaving them bare metal. They looked like they were galvanized, not aluminum, leading me to believe that longterm, they are a potential source of corrosion.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's interesting that they were put in after painting. How did you seal the threaded hole?