Fixed rear end clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redhat-z

Reaction score
I just bought a 98 Yukon last week. It had the clunk in back and horrible vibration above 50mph. Over the weekend, I pulled the driveshaft and found that the rear u-joint was toasted. One of the cups had no bearings left at all. I ended turning over my engine hoist to use the bottom part of the frame for a press with a 4-ton bottle jack. I first had to cut out the center cross. This took 2 Sawz-all blades and 3 cut-off wheels. Then I put the end of the driveshaft in my makeshift press. The bearing end cups were seized so tight, I had to cut down a piece of 2.5in round bar and place in between the ears to keep them from flexing. Finally after jumping up and down on the jack handle, the cups broke free.

With the new u-joint in, the vibration and clunk are gone. I now have a smooth quiet ride for $17.00.

My advice to anyone with bad u-joints that are still original, take the driveshaft to a shop or else you risk unbalancing your driveshaft. Trust me its woth it.

On a side note, when I thought the u-joint was not going to budge, I test fit an old camaro driveshaft and it fit perfectly. All that would need to be done is swap the yoke and it would work for a 4-door. It is heavier but it might be useful if you have to temporarily improvise.

Last edited:

Slammed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so you guys meet with me in CT LOL and we will have a u-joint pow wow

botomgun

Reaction score
If you all want to come to Hawaii, I'm in....How common is this type of problem, anyway?

redhat-z

Reaction score
It can happen to any vehicle at anytime. Most factory u-joints, (GM, Ford, etc) are sealed units. Once the seals get broken, debris gets in and it cooks itself.

djtecthreat

Reaction score
Actually, what you thought was "Seized" is how they're are fixed in the shaft, if you noticed there are 2 holes right at the caps that are filled with melted plastic (injected at the manufacturer) You are supposed to aim these holes down and hit it with a torch to melt the plastic out.

Just so you are aware.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man i work in worcester mass u need to come and help a brutha out wit his tahoe lol ...**** u seem like u know whatchu talkin bout

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i also know i need a few other things to boot namely them, damn wheel sensors cuz my abs is spaztic and im getting the notorious smell of antifreeze yet cant find it thing.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just dont know exactly what im listening for i mean im hearing the clunk over bumps and stops and starts...from the rear