Fuel Pump Died:(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j.bever

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am new to this forum. I have never used a forum to receive help on my vehicle but I have used them a lot to work on my mx bike. So within the last couple of weeks I have walked out to my truck and turned the key and it turns over but seems to not be receiving enough fuel. I am pretty good with working with my cars, therefore i knew that sometimes if you kick the gas tank it will knock the fuel pump free and begin to work again. So I crawled under it and gave her a kick and she started right up. This happened twice. However, it has now quit for good. The tahoe has 120k on her and she is a 99. I have never messed with a fuel system except changing the fuel filter from the motor back. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions or steps on how to do this. I plan on digging in this afternoon. Thanks guys!

NicoJones

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, the fuel pump on these years have been known to fail. I replaced mine right around 110k miles. It's not difficult to do if you have some mechanical skills. Do a little research on the fuel pump because one is better than the other (I forgot the parts). Basically if you have fuel in the tank, you'll have to be careful lowering the tank from the body. Disconnect the battery! The tank is held in by 2 straps and then will come down (maybe use a jack with block to support it). Once you have the tank down, you'll see how to disconnect the fuel pump and the new one will require you to splice/solder the wires (careful if you're soldering!). It will make life easier if you empty the tank of the fuel when you are going to reinstall it. I also raised the tahoe on the driver side to give access to the tank and make it easier. Hope this helps.

Spar

Reaction score
I feel your pain

I had to replace the pump on my '99 just a week ago (189,000 miles, and pretty sure it was the original pump :Whoa:.) I was stuck at work, so my son-in-law did it for me. I went with a Bosch pump for the quality, and the lifetime replacement on it, though I don't expect to have to do this again. The only issue he reported was trouble getting the new pump to "compress" down into the tank. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward. Good luck !

VOLZ1207

Reaction score
I had to have a 'burb towed in for one years ago. I wasnt something that $625 counldnt fix!!! Argh!!! I cut the access hole in the rear floorboard in my 99 tahoe about a year ago due the the pump really whining loudly. I did mine with a 4" grinder after many measurements!! Well, mine finally went out two weeks ago, luckily at work in a garage. (vs. Instead of at the lake with the boat in the water in the middle of nowhere). I bought a delphi for $195 included everything along with the wiring harness. You may need the special tool to remove the gas lines from the existing pump. Do not force (you could break the plastic lines off in the connectors!!) i used a tiny screwdriver to remove and then re-shaped them once i got them off. Easy job if you are mechanically inclined. Good luck.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went recently as well at just 200,008K was original AC Delco pump and Replaced with Airtex pump. 98 Tahoe LT 4x4