General Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpmccr

Reaction score
We have a 2011 Tahoe LT. We were talking and I was wondering what is the most we can tow with our truck weight wise? It has the factory tow package. Thanks...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 pounds...
You need more details...
What Engine, What Gearing, 4wd or 2wd, etc..
I have a 2009 with a 3.08 rear end, 2wd, 5.3l engine and it is rated at 5000 pounds.
You can look in the back of your owners manual it should be listed there.
Your gearing can be found in your glove box RPO code list (a 3 digit code starting with G) you can google them to find out what they are.

jpmccr

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. My wife's dad wants us to help tow his project truck that is on a trailer from Missouri to South Carolina. I am not sure the trailer it is on even has brakes.
I'll look in the manual and see what it says when she gets back. Thanks, jpm

jpmccr

Reaction score
Update: our Tahoe is a 4WD with a 5.3L engine. So with that and your code hint, ours is a 3.08 (GU4) as well. The book says we have a 5,200 pound weight limit. I also found out that we have a Positract Rear End too I think (G80). Thanks for the clues. I learned something new about our Tahoe...

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I always love to learn new things about my rigs, sometimes I learn the hard way… Towing with the 3.08 wont be as fun, make sure you get one with trailer brakes, or rent a uhaul with the surge brakes. Go slower and keep an eye on your temps if you tow with it, its not a race. Make sure the weight of the trailer + the weight of the car wont exceed your tow limit....

jpmccr

Reaction score
Ok, one more question. Would it be advisable to tow a project car (no longer the truck on trailer) with a dolly for 8 hours (Charleston, MO to Belton, SC) or would it be better to put it on a U-Haul trailer. I’m pretty sure our Tahoe could stomach that. Trying to decide if I want to reserve a car trailer before the 25th when this adventure begins...
Thanks in advance...