GMT900 Fog + High Beam mod, anyone?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone successfully do the diode trick on their 2007+ Yukon? Details if so, please...

Check this kit out (it's for a Yukon but they show a Hoe). Anyway, I was gonna order one unless there's an even cheaper / quicker "Radio Shack" method...

RT, I've seen yer old threads for GMT800, but I'm looking do this on my 2007 Yukon XL Denali. I'd like to retain fog light on/off functionality while the low beams are on, but want the fogs to come on & stay on when the highs are on. I'm pretty sure this kit would do the trick.

Some insight would be appreciated from the gang here!

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is A diode trick. I have a diode sitting in my garage. But the Relays are so far apart we would need to extend the diode leads somehow. Again, put the diodes in the 85 part. I would love to have this done to mine.

On the GmT900 tahoe, the low's stay on from the factory when you pop the highs on.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is A diode trick. I have a diode sitting in my garage. But the Relays are so far apart we would need to extend the diode leads somehow. Again, put the diodes in the 85 part. I would love to have this done to mine.

On the GmT900 tahoe, the low's stay on from the factory when you pop the highs on.

What exact type of diode again?

Also, don't care about "lows" as they're one and the same bulb on the Yukon (H13, albeit different filaments on a stock non-HID setup)...just care about the fogs with the highs.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exact type of diode again?

Also, don't care about "lows" as they're one and the same bulb on the Yukon (H13, albeit different filaments on a stock non-HID setup)...just care about the fogs with the highs.

LOL. I know thats why I said "tahoe". Its a 3 amp 50volt resistor diode. 2 pack from radio shack.

I tried keeping the lows on with the highs on another vehicle that used a duel filimant bulb, Got it to work, but after 15 min of running them both , my driver light blew up. I can only guess heat related. LOL

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NEED MORE INPUT! Is DIY worth the headache on GMT900's for this mod?!?!?

Well, I'd love to know if anyone here has successfully done this on their GMT900 Yukon using the DIY method. I spent the better part of the evening in the garage messing around with some 3A 400PIV diodes I picked up at Radio Shack ($1.67) earlier, but no luck. In fact, one the first "extensions" I made out of 20 gauge solid core wire broke off in the relay socket, and let's just say that WAAAAYYY too many lights were on at the same time... :eek2: Thank the Good Lord for Shop-Vac's tho, eh? I was pretty freaked out at first, and removed the negative battery lead for like 30 minutes before I realized what happened. Anyway, I figured it out and took care of it -- PHEW! :yesnod:

So, the second method I tried involved 14 gauge stranded primary wire and crimp-on U terminal connectors (with one side of the U clipped off), and it didn't go much better. It was such a tight fit in the relay socket that I seem to have nearly bent one or more of springy contacts in the socket, thereby creating an intermittently open connection (BAD). Some pin-bending on the actual relay seems to off-set the problem enough. Not my idea of a classy solution. :cuss:

Any way you slice it, I was NOT able to get the fog lights on with the high beams. I tried numerous combinations and orientations with the diode on 85/86 of the high-beam relay and 85/86 on the fog relay to no avail. I think my intermittently open connections in the relay were part of the issue, and got pretty tired of messing with it. I just put it all back to stock for now, and will maybe try again some other time.

To top things off, disconnecting the negative battery lead has reset my hard work from a week or so ago when I had to relearn my frickin TPMS sensor positions, so I have to do that all over when I'm not so PO'ed. Ironic that the disconnecting the battery reset the TPMS, when my previous problem was that trying to reset the TPMS killed the battery... :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey man, sorry I sent ya on a wild goose chase here. Didnt know all that would happen. SO putting a diode on those completly messed up your electronics??? I was just ready to go tackle this my self. But from what it sounds, it messes up the truck. RIght??

Edit--- for 13 bucks, I would go ahead and get that.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO putting a diode on those completly messed up your electronics???

No, that's not what I said -- re-read my post!

Yeah, maybe I'll try the "kit". I'll call 'em Monday first to find out exactly what the kit is comprised of, just to make sure it's not the same stuff I've already got, but for a higher price... :rolleyes2:

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have one and it cuts the fog lights when the highs go on.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, cool -- I won the prize!

We'll see how well it works, but I correctly answered the movie trivia question on www.mrtaillight.com, and won a free Yukon Hi/Fog kit as mentioned in my original post. SWEET!!!!

The kit is a relay harness that connects between the high beam headlight lead and the positive fog light lead, and my installation will be a bit tricky due to the fact that my factory wiring is already modified to accommodate the twin HID kits I've got installed... :crazy:

Anyway, I'll do the installation this weekend if I have time and if the weather isn't too nastay, and I'll post some pics of the harness and the install as long as it works out well. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We'll see how well it works, but I correctly answered the movie trivia question on www.mrtaillight.com, and won a free Yukon Hi/Fog kit as mentioned in my original post. SWEET!!!!

The kit is a relay harness that connects between the high beam headlight lead and the positive fog light lead, and my installation will be a bit tricky due to the fact that my factory wiring is already modified to accommodate the twin HID kits I've got installed... :crazy:

Anyway, I'll do the installation this weekend if I have time and if the weather isn't too nastay, and I'll post some pics of the harness and the install as long as it works out well. Wish me luck! :thumbsup:

AWSOME MAN. Good call. BTW what was the answer. I think I got it wrong.
But I wanna see a pic of what it looks like on that same road you took the pic last year with your highs on with the fogs on. Man its gunna ROCK!!!!