Go Buy an intake!! You will not be let down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Last-Call

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just installed a K&N intake, with a thotlebody spacer. I am so pissed I waited this long to buy on. It is night a day with response, and you do not need to get into the gas when trying to pass. It feels so much smoother when takinging off from a stop light. The sheets say that the intake will give you 15-18 WHP and the spacer the same. I will be putting the truck on a dyno soon to get the real #'s.

It took a little time and messing around but man is it worth it. I took a few pics fot you guys as well.

Here is the stock mess of intake.....
143-4383_IMG.jpg

This is what it look's like when it's all done
143-4379_IMG.jpg

These are the holes it sucks air from in the air box
143-4384_IMG.jpg

This is where the air has to get though before it makes it into you motor
143-4385_IMG.jpg

Now it has so much more area to suck air
143-4382_IMG.jpg

This is the TB spacer
143-4376_IMG.jpg

These are the little PITA screws you have to remove and replace
143-4378_IMG.jpg

Here is the TB spacer in it's new home.
143-4380_IMG.jpg

Note, you have to trim the fan shroud and the tip of the fan blades if you run the intake and spacer...Yeah they don't tell you that.
143-4381_IMG.jpg

So get off your wallet and buy this stuff, it was the best 265 bucks I have spent on the truck.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What series intake is advisory for the 4.8? Im lookin for one but not sure what to choose.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, my aem brute force intake was a similar install and I love my synthetic oil free filter. You can buy some used ls1 fbody electric fans off ebay or craigslist for around $100, add an efan harness from www.nelsonperformance.com, and reap the benefits of almost 2mpg and 20hp :thumbsup: I'll be adding a throttle body spacer of another form around christmas
product_image.php

These trucks love a little n2o.

Last-Call

Reaction score
How hard was it to wire the new fans?

Last edited:

thdrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the TBS really make a big difference. I just installed a TrueFlow AIT and really haven't noticed a big shift in the mpg, maybe b/c I just do mostly city driving (~85-90%) vs hwy. But last I heard in the 2003 Tahoe the TBS really didn't make a big difference other than adding a "whine" to the engine.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No the only throttle body spacer that helps these trucks have solenoids attached, may help mileage slightly but I don't think they do anything but provide a good location for nitrous.

Last-Call

Reaction score
You can read about them all day, but you have to try one to see the difference. See my 25 MPG thread.

zach

bchapman16

Reaction score
Air Intake Questions

When trimming the shroud and fan blades, does that have any negative effects on cooling, mpg's, etc?

I'm getting ready to do a lot of work to my Yukon this weekend, and I was unsure of the impact of trimming the fan blades... Also, what did you use to trim them?

Thanks for the help. Before/After pics coming soon!

-Brad

Last-Call

Reaction score
Hey brad, no there is no difference in cooling. You are only going to trim the fan if you install a intake and TB spacer. On top of that you only tril about 3/8of an inch anyways. I used a tin snips, I hope you have strong hands.

Good luck
Zach

bchapman16

Reaction score
I'm putting them both on this weekend, so I really appreciate the tips.

Hand cramps, here we come!

I'll post pics when I'm finished...

Thanks!!

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not cut the length of the intake tube instead of chopping the blades and the shroud? It seems to me that you could take the length out there easier.

Last-Call

Reaction score
Because the end of the intake is "barbed" to hold the cupler in place, plus the mounting for the heat sheild will not reach then. You really have to put one on to understand.

zach

Design

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that it has a larger diameter at the TB end in oder to upsize to the coupler. It also has ridges on it to increase clamping. I still think that you could have shaved the 3/8" off the end of it versus clipping the blades. I would worry about even slightly unbalancing the fan with the hack job I would do.

bunkleman21

Reaction score
it burns more of the fuel that usually is just pushed out the tailpipe w/o being burned. This gives more power per engine revolution, w/o adding more gas.

TravisH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that it has a larger diameter at the TB end in oder to upsize to the coupler. It also has ridges on it to increase clamping. I still think that you could have shaved the 3/8" off the end of it versus clipping the blades. I would worry about even slightly unbalancing the fan with the hack job I would do.

How bad would it be if the fan was unbalanced?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How bad would it be if the fan was unbalanced?

I would just take the time to tape a piece of poster board on a blade. Mark the contour on the poster board. Cut that out and trace it to each blade. Use a dowel sander or grinding burr to make them all the same. It would be more professional in a sense.

I know its not a turbine engine but if our blades are unbalanced it causes a world of hurt...lol

????