Go Buy an intake!! You will not be let down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good, my aem brute force intake was a similar install and I love my synthetic oil free filter. You can buy some used ls1 fbody electric fans off ebay or craigslist for around $100, add an efan harness from www.nelsonperformance.com, and reap the benefits of almost 2mpg and 20hp :thumbsup: I'll be adding a throttle body spacer of another form around christmas
product_image.php

These trucks love a little n2o.

So you're saying just the efans alone will give that kind of a bump? Is that with most engines? I have the 5.3 and I'm looking at various things to help out.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have the K&N although I plan on one when I have a little extra pocket change. I have a 2000 'Ho with the 5.3. In looking at where the K&N mounts, and where the heat sheild fits I got looking at the air flow. There is a narrow flap that runs vertical along the side of the radiator. There is also a rigid panel behind the headlight assembly. It looks to me like if you removed both of these the air would have a straight shot through the grill at the filter rather than still needing to come in and around things. If you did this I would think you would need the waterproof pre-filter to cover the K&N filter since the filter element is so close to the front if you opened it up like this rain would come straight in to the filter as well.

avdoc

Reaction score
Because the end of the intake is "barbed" to hold the cupler in place, plus the mounting for the heat sheild will not reach then. You really have to put one on to understand.

zach

I have a K&N intake on one of my Z-71 trucks. I trimmed my intake tube to fit and left my fan alone. It worked fine for me, I just never thought of the fan blade trim idea. I also didnt notice much difference from the TBS, but it sounded cool. I dont drive that truck much any more, and now I think I'll drive it tomorrow so I remember what it sounded like. LOL

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ended up going the the AEM Brute Force. Easy install, no clearance issues, nice clean fit.

blenderwizard

Reaction score
You have to get the PCM retuned in order for the electric fans to work with the Nelson Performance fans to work. Don't expect any noticeable gains with them. You're probably going to need to upgrade your alternator is you use them, too.

corvette744

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just installed a K&N intake, with a thotlebody spacer. I am so pissed I waited this long to buy on. It is night a day with response, and you do not need to get into the gas when trying to pass. It feels so much smoother when takinging off from a stop light. The sheets say that the intake will give you 15-18 WHP and the spacer the same. I will be putting the truck on a dyno soon to get the real #'s.

It took a little time and messing around but man is it worth it. I took a few pics fot you guys as well.

Here is the stock mess of intake.....
143-4383_IMG.jpg

This is what it look's like when it's all done
143-4379_IMG.jpg

These are the holes it sucks air from in the air box
143-4384_IMG.jpg

This is where the air has to get though before it makes it into you motor
143-4385_IMG.jpg

Now it has so much more area to suck air
143-4382_IMG.jpg

This is the TB spacer
143-4376_IMG.jpg

These are the little PITA screws you have to remove and replace
143-4378_IMG.jpg

Here is the TB spacer in it's new home.
143-4380_IMG.jpg

Note, you have to trim the fan shroud and the tip of the fan blades if you run the intake and spacer...Yeah they don't tell you that.
143-4381_IMG.jpg

So get off your wallet and buy this stuff, it was the best 265 bucks I have spent on the truck.

Your saying you can get 30-36 whp by adding an intake and throttle spacer-i dont think so.I bet you dont get anywhere close to 20-sounds like a waste of money besides the better sound when you punch it.To much money spent for to little gain.