Got a strange question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I was posting to ask which 6" lift kit to get... or or something of that nature. Alas, I have a far less exciting question for all you Dad & Mom Tahoe owners out there.

How many of you have purchased Convertible Baby Seats that fit in your Tahoes? I have the "quad-seats" in mine, and I am having a hell of a time finding a seat that will fit and recline back enough in the rear-facing position.
Right now I am sporting the Ultra-Cool Chicco "Key-Fit" base and seat, and the kiddo's about to outgrow that thing. He'll have to be in a rear facing seat until he's 12 months old, so I have to find something!!

For all of you that know what the crap I'm talking about please help!!:umn:

BH

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We kept our son in the Graco Heirloom (the one with the base) until he was about 10 months old. He crossed the 22lb mark at that time and was about 24" if I remember correctly.

He was also crawling like a champ, pulling himself up on anything, and standing on his own. For some reason, he doesn't care to walk. Lazy, I suppose (likes being carried better?).

Anyway, he's now in the Eddie Bauer carseat facing forward. If you do enough research, you'll find that statistically speaking, the child is only safer in the rear seat, properly strapped to the seat.

It doesn't really matter which way they're facing. Good luck convincing your wife of that, though.

Fortunately for me, I have a Libertarian-minded wife that geeks on John Stossel. :)

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right about that. (the good luck.. convincing part) We adopted our son this past summer, and we've followed the rules set by the State of Texas to the letter. I am going to research into this and find out what I can. I just don't see how any of these convertible seats would ever fit, if they have to incline so far back. I would literally have to fold one of the 2nd row seats down, and then put his seat on the 3rd row bench behind it.

Our son's 6 months old, and is about to need to move up to a bigger chair already. Now you see why I got the Hoe.

Thanks for the reply. IT TOOK GUTS around here!! :)

BH

Last edited:

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're right about that. (the good luck.. convincing part) We adopted our son this past summer, and we've followed the rules set by the State of Texas to the letter. I am going to research into this and find out what I can. I just don't see how any of these convertible seats would ever fit, if they have to incline so far back. I would literally have to fold one of the 2nd row seats down, and then put his seat on the 3rd row bench behind it.

Our son's 6 months old, and is about to need to move up to a bigger chair already. Now you see why I got the Hoe.

Thanks for the reply. IT TOOK GUTS around here!! :)

BH

Wow, 6 months and already out of that first seat? Yowch.

I suggest either:

1. Go to Babies R Us and grabbing one of the parent-aged people in there to help you out. In addition, they have an outstanding return policy.

2. Go to one of those church-sponsored consignment days. Here in Atlanta, a different church has one every other week it seems. I'm talking you can pick up a car seat for $30.

As far as guts, nah. My 11-month old can kick most of these guys' asses :D

Plus, he already has his own Ducati.

Attachments

• DSC01892.jpg
    DSC01892.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1

bzbatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this for any lurkers out there who have the same concerns, or maybe for the future.

http://www.carseat.org/Technical/tech_update.htm#angleFF

BH

Yeah, these types of studies are pretty inconclusive by my reading. That's why I go off statistical reports rather than scientifically-controlled studies that don't account for real world incidents.

Statistically speaking, it's unlikely that, when properly restrained, your baby is presented with any higher risk while facing forward in a crash. The research I found was simply that the rear seat was a safer location.

That being said, the statistics obviously do not account for the age of the infant, either.

In your case, I'd be more concerned with his ability to keep his head up during normal use. Better to stick with the rear facing for a few more months :cool:

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly my thoughts. Your kiddo is a little older, and probably has more control over the noggin.

I was just happy to see that the recommended 45 degree angle was for infant infants, not 6 month olds weighing 20lbs. It's actually better to have him sit more upright at his size. And more upright means the seat will actually fit in my Hoe.

BH

Mervinreurn

Reaction score
Wow, 6 months and already out of that first seat? Yowch.

I suggest either:

1. Go to Babies R Us and grabbing one of the parent-aged people in there to help you out. In addition, they have an outstanding return policy.

2. Go to one of those church-sponsored consignment days. Here in Atlanta, a different church has one every other week it seems. I'm talking you can pick up a car seat for $30.

As far as guts, nah. My 11-month old can kick most of these guys' asses :D

Plus, he already has his own Ducati.

@bzbatl are second had car seats safe? I've been reading a lot about car seats and most people don't recommend them because you can't verify if they have been in a crash or not. Typically you have to change the seat after a crash.

I've been doing a lot of research on car seats. I can see some people don't understand them when i've read a few reviews then I went and checked out blog reviews. Jeez it's just hype. You never get anything negative about the seats. Finally I've found a decent website which talks about chicco myfit vs britax frontier seats and they actually mention the negatives. Do you have any advice which would help me.

They are both expensive ones. Maybe you have came across them? Any tip is welcomed.