Hazard lights and dash lights blink

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lone ranger

Reaction score
I have a 1999 Tahoe 4x4 5.7. The other night the vehicle stopped running and it turned out to be the alternator. The night it broke down I towed it with a tow rope and hazard flashers on. The vehicle ignition was in the on position and the vehicle placed in neutral.

I removed the battery and charged it till it was fully charged. Bought a new alternator and installed it today, as it was in the 40s. The belt looked good so I didn't change it, but plan on doing it in the spring/summer and keeping this one as a spare.

After putting the car back together I started it and the hazard flashers came on and the dash lights continually blinked. The hazard flashers stayed on even if the switch on the column was pushed down.

Does something need to be reset?

Could the flasher switch have been damaged while the vehicle was in the on position, in neutral and being towed - turning the steering wheel?

Could the multi-switch be the problem for the dash lights flashing and the hazard flashers staying on?

Prior to the vehicle's alternator going bad there were no issues with the dash lights or the hazard flashers. There is no error code either. I have since disconnected the battery so it doesn't run down.

Thanks in advance.

lone ranger

Reaction score
Okay, today Sunday was sunny and temps in the high 30s and 40s so I reconnected the battery. The dash lights blinked and the hazard flashers were blinking. I had swapped out the battery before and did not run into this problem.

I have two key fobs. One came with the car and the second is the remote start. With the key in the ignition I played with the OEM fob, lock/unlock, but the blinking still continued. I then played with remote start fob, lock/unlock, but the blinking continued. I then activated the remote start, the vehicle started and the blinking stopped. I turned the vehicle off and just used the key to start the vehicle and there was no blinking of the dash lights or the flashers.

So, I'm thinking that my problem stemmed from the remotes, either one or both being in the lock/unlock position with the remote start fob holding the solution.

Again, as I said before I never ran into this problem before, removal/install of battery, but I know now to first play with the fobs, as those might be in the lock/unlock mode, if I run into this problem again.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The remote start was probably in alarm since you disconnected the battery.

2DoorMonster

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with my truck..I don't have quick start tho..I wonder why it's doing that

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2door, start a thread, list what you have and your issues....

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an aftermarket alarm issue look around under your dash area and see if you can locate foreign wiring that may be going to a little box most likely thats going to be the aftermarket alarm

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Thread button at the top of the threads list (from here click technical discussions first)