Headliner is soaking wet! Where's the leak?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mighty Hd

Reaction score
08 Tahoe Z71 3LT 4x4. 600 miles on the clock.

I washed the vehicle today, used the aircompressor with a tip on the hose to blow the excess water off the paint. As I was wiping down the door jambs I noticed in the rear the headliner was soaked.

It's on the right side, between the right liftgate hinge and the edge. I can't tell where it came from---I pulled down the rear headliner trim & weather strips.

Has anyone else had this problem?????????

Thanks guys.

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine leaks from the exact same spot...I ran it for a few months with the interior trim panels removed so I could trace it. The water is entering around the rubber grommet where all the electrical wiring runs from the truck body to the hatch...on the truck side. It is just a really poor grommet design and really does not seal well at all.

PatrykKoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check your sunroof. My girl left my sunroof open in my old denali, but she had the shade slider shut. I was going up a hill one day and a crap load of water spilt out all my rear vents in the headliner. I was like WTF, opened the sunroof shade slider, and the sunroof was barely cracked. I was pretty mad. My car smelt like wet dog and mold forever, nasty.

Mighty Hd

Reaction score
No sunroof on this vehicle.

I removed the grommet and put a tad bit of silicone on the grommet and reinstalled. We'll see how it turns out.