Headrest Monitor Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joecool1166

Reaction score
I've been researching for the last couple of weeks and I've decided on the Kenwood DNX8120 In Dash Navigation/DVD Player. I was leaning towards the Pioneer AVICFB900BT but I've seen way too many reviews about issues with that unit. Seen good reviews too, but seems the Kenwood 8120 doesn't have those issues (i.e., boot up times, lock ups, etc.) and it blends solid Garmin-based GPS with quality multimedia and built in Bluetooth, etc.

ANYWAY ... the 8120 plus XM adapters are about all my budget can take at this point. I want to install headrest monitors at some point in the future. (I've seen some really cool examples of that on this website too.)

Question: Should I have the installer run an RCA/Component wire/plug from the back of the 8120 along the floorboard into the back seat area for the eventual monitors to come later this year? So I won't have to pull the unit out later just to install the monitors? And if so, is that all I need to connect the monitors? An RCA/Component video wire?

Thanks in advance for humoring my question; and any input/advice you may have. And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!!

Nixonride

Reaction score
Your monitors will come with a box that both monitors hook into...that is where the video in and/or video out will be....they usually have 4 wires...red(switched power), yellow(constant power), Green(ebrake), black(ground).....running the RCA's will be nice so you don't have to pull the dash and head unit out....if there is a spot for two RCA's I would run both...then when you get the monitors you can just run the RCA's from the head unit to the box. Then all you need is to run power and ground and your set. I would have him run the RCA's to under the center console though because it is more centeralized and easier to access...just pull up in the cupholders and you have access.

Xclusive

Reaction score
I've been researching for the last couple of weeks and I've decided on the Kenwood DNX8120 In Dash Navigation/DVD Player. I was leaning towards the Pioneer AVICFB900BT but I've seen way too many reviews about issues with that unit. Seen good reviews too, but seems the Kenwood 8120 doesn't have those issues (i.e., boot up times, lock ups, etc.) and it blends solid Garmin-based GPS with quality multimedia and built in Bluetooth, etc.

ANYWAY ... the 8120 plus XM adapters are about all my budget can take at this point. I want to install headrest monitors at some point in the future. (I've seen some really cool examples of that on this website too.)

Question: Should I have the installer run an RCA/Component wire/plug from the back of the 8120 along the floorboard into the back seat area for the eventual monitors to come later this year? So I won't have to pull the unit out later just to install the monitors? And if so, is that all I need to connect the monitors? An RCA/Component video wire?

Thanks in advance for humoring my question; and any input/advice you may have. And Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays!!!

You best bet would be to have them run a video cable and a power wire and leave it underneath your floor carpet in the front passenger area or in the passenger kick panel. I have done numerous installs on these vehicles and i always run extra cabling incase I want to add something else. Its better this way you do not have to keep taking apart the dash to add more cables.