Help Request: Intermittant Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoesteve666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 K1500 Suburban 5.7

I have intermittent speedometer. It is the only know annoyance t this time. Everything else seems to work fine. Yes, I have monkeyed with the dash a few months back - replaced the fuel gauge.

I also put on an ELM327 and checked the speed sensor when the speedometer was out but the ELM was reporting the speed was sensing fine. HOWEVER, I am not sure from where this sensing is done. I am aware of the speed sensor on the tranny, but is there another source (not GPS-based) from where the speed could be reading?

Assuming no other source, what are my possibilities seeing as the OBD doesnt seem to have an issue?

thks for any help

tahoesteve666

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually I misspoke. The odometer also goes in/out at same time as speedometer. When the speedometer works, it is indicating correct. It is not erratic. So it simply either dies and the reading goes to 0, or it works correctly.

Also, if its the VSS, does someone have a part #?

Similarly, if its the stepper motor, anyone have part # for that?

Last edited: