HELP! Water leaking on front passenger side floor!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nathanbgross

Reaction score
I saw some staining on the carpet of the front passenger floorboard in a used 2004 I bought recently and decided to take a closer look. We had driven about 2 hours in the rain w/ the A/C on the entire time and I noticed the floor was very wet. I pulled the mats out and the carpet up and the pad and metal floorboard were wet. It seemed very concentrated in the middle of the floorboard from the 'hump' almost all the way over to the door but not quite. I noticed a bit of tape in the plastic tubing/pipe that presumably runs along the hump and then under the passenger seat to the rear A/C vents that looked to be covering up a hole/crack. But I honestly could not tell if that is where the leak was coming from, although it seemed to be wet around that, downstream from that, and along the front right area of the floor from there too. So it's possible that could be it but again, I'm not sure. Has anyone else had this type of issue and, if so, what was the cause? I saw mention of the possibility of a drain pipe being off or clogged but could not find that and wasn't sure it would only cause this much water. Would REALLY appreciate all feedback or guidance from anyone(s) who has had this type of issue. Thanks!

CHEVYMANE

Reaction score
It's true the evaporator hose from the a/c box could be clogged or not completely fed into the hole & is leaking water down the side of the console, under the carpet. There should be a tube on both sides of the console. There also could be a chance that one of the drains from the sunroof or under the wiper cowl could be blocked with tree debris & the water is backing up into the car either behind the kickpanels (sunroof leak) or near the blower motor (wiper cowl leak).

bajaoffroad01

Reaction score
Drivers side leak?

Im having a similar problem, I found that my drivers side is leaking from somewhere. I think I can rule out the AC because it happened while my car was off. I had not driven it for a few days, including a day that it poured rain. I got in it the next day and relized that the carpet was a bit wet (only near the step panel), so I removed the panel and looked under the carpet and everything was soaked. but it seemed to be concenrated in the front corner closest to the door. also the sponge behind the plastic firewall cover is soaked.

I cut out the padding from the drivers side yesterday and it is still dripping water today. I am seeing that there are many issues with clogged vents and torn door seals. From what i can see, I have niether of those problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

**It was parked on a hill facing down (if that helps)

aj306

Reaction score
Satalite attenna was loose and leaking on my 03.

raffaelli88

Reaction score
When it would rain i had the same problem with water on my drive side but this also can go for passenger side.... I replaced the weather stripping around the inside part of the door and water problem was FIXED! and it only cost around $35-$45 no need to go to dealer and get charged $300 hope this helps out

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW !! All those are great suggestions... I hope this one also helps look on the passenger side lower coner of the windshield and see if there is a GM logo imprinted on it.. if not chances are its been replaced before and not sealed property when it was replaced.. see this quit a bit

mopdog

Reaction score
I found out mine was leaking just the other day. Kick panals were full of water, both sides. I think its coming from the wire loom for the doors that goes through there, they were kinda out of place and full of garbage. I cleaned them and sealed it up with silicon tonight. I have yet to check it. Anyone else have this problem?

raffaelli88

Reaction score
replace your weather stripping on both doors... it will work.. i thought that water was coming in the rubber boot that attaches from door to truck siliconed it and everything didnt stop leak but also might be part of problem ... im 90 % sure that if you replace weather striping u should b ok

mopdog

Reaction score
Mine was wet on both side kick panels on the inside of the truck, ran down to the floor boards. I hope I got it but now I have to try to get everything dry.

raffaelli88

Reaction score
When you silicone the rubber boots make sure you pull the rubber boot back and seal behind it too.. thats what i didnt

mopdog

Reaction score
I pulled the rubber boot off and cleaned it all up...I put a bunch on the inner sealing surface, put it in the hole then ran a bead around the outside....I hope it works

raffaelli88

Reaction score
let the silicone cure for a few days and then take a hose and if possible have someone hold it and you stay on inside of car to see if the water is coming in.... if that doesnt work replace your weather stripping it cost about $30-$40 for each door

LisaZ

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Solara - but only when parked on a hill - engine facing down. I came to the conclusion it was a drainage issue and made sure the drain holes were clear. Now I park it on a flat area and have had no more problems.

mopdog

Reaction score
It rain all day yesturday and nothing coming in yet. Carpets and padding is still soaked.

PolarBear0612

Reaction score
Mine came after going through 4 blower res. I found the solution from my father in law, retired top engineer for Mercedes believe it or not. Remove the blower and resister from underneath the dash. Make sure you have a good flashlight. Remove the passenger side bolt holding the windshield cove and all the clips holding it in. If you carefully pry up the corner and hold it up with something, pour a bottle of water over the cover and check and see if you see the water pouring in from the top of that 9 inch panel. If so, it needs to be re-sealed. I left mine on and just used some black ATV marine sealer I had in the tool box.

My panel was the same color of the vehicle is can't miss it. Hope it helps someone.

HavasuTahoeZ71

Reaction score
Hey did you ever find the leak? I bought a 2005 Tahoe and it rained pretty hard today. I found out both driver and passenger side floors are soaked

HavasuTahoeZ71

Reaction score
Wet floor on 05 Tahoe

I have read a few of these issues and I found out first hand today... both my driver and passenger side floors are soaked. Does anybody have the remedy? Is it the weatherstripping? Any help will be appreciated

jwoell

Reaction score
Another guy with leakage problems...

You and me both Brotha', my 2002 just started leaking on the front floors. Can't be a problem with any door seal or boot since it started soaking both the passenger side and the drivers side at the exact same time. I can't imagine a drivers side door seal failure causing the passenger side floor to be soaked or vice versa. So the problem has to be something that would leak to both sides at the same time. Any ideas what that could be other than a windshield seal? The windshield was replaced about 4 years ago but this is the first I've seen of any water on the floor. I'm a little surprised at how much water is there too. It's not like the floor is a little damp, it's like the floor is completely soaked and if you press your hand down it squishes out water.

Oh and I should mention that it can't be anything related to A/C condensation either because it just does this when it sits out in the rain and hasn't been driven in a week.

Last edited:

Blatta1999

Reaction score
Similar issues

I am having similar issues of wet floors. I took the time to remove part of the headliner and I disconnected the hose from the sunroof drain. I blew it out and reconnected it and dumped some water and it drained out as it should. Is that the only spot that the sunroof will leak? My next move is to check the cowl under the wipers but I don't know if that will wet both sides of the floor? Looking at the driver door seal on the front top where it bends down it looks to be a little loose. But it seems hard to believe to me that both the driver and passenger door seal would have gone bad. Next check before I replace door seals is the cowl under the windshield wipers. I didn't know if anyone may have any other ideas.