HID light dispersion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbrend

Reaction score
Hello,

I installed a 8000k HID kit in my 2007 Tahoe.

It seems like the light that these are giving off are is really spread out and not as focused as the OEM lights. That makes the lights not as 'bright' going down the road.

Is it possible I have the bulbs in wrong. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

AZSCTACO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 things......I suggest you research on how HID light ratings work. 8000K is less bright then the stock bulbs you had.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

4300K is the brightest/whitest bulb you can buy. Also the reason the light is spread out because the stock housing was not designed for HID lighting. I would recommend getting some 5000K-6000K bulbs and I think you'll be more satisfied. Good Luck

tbrend

Reaction score
I started doing some research. That is kind of what I concluding.

Thanks

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 things......I suggest you research on how HID light ratings work. 8000K is less bright then the stock bulbs you had.

http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

4300K is the brightest/whitest bulb you can buy. Also the reason the light is spread out because the stock housing was not designed for HID lighting. I would recommend getting some 5000K-6000K bulbs and I think you'll be more satisfied. Good Luck

+1...................

Most HIDs are 35w bulbs, I have just ordered some 50w HIDs for my bikes. No report yet but the claims are nearly twice as much light as 35w HIDs.

A 50w HID bulb isn't direct replacement to 35w in HID systems. The 50w bulb would require a 50w balast and ignitor.

tbrend

Reaction score
What K do European/Japanese car makers use OEM?

Thanks

tbrend

Reaction score
Is it fair to say the lower the K the brighter the usable light?

hbrbmx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What K do European/Japanese car makers use OEM?

Thanks

I've been thru most Kelvins from 3000K (in fog lights) to 8000K (first set in a bike years ago). The 5000K McCullough kit, I have it in my Yukon, is spot on OEM color.

Just finished replacing a 6000K 35w with a 4300K 50w in this bike. Much brighter and whiter light.........

PA150043.jpg

Mike B

Reaction score
I would personally suggest getting the 4300K HID bulbs. They are what you would find on most other vehicles. The reason why the light "goes everywhere" is because our factory headlamps are not designed for HID's. The only way you can have the "cut off" for an HID is to modify your stock unit and place a projector beam. Basically, this is a DIY. A projector beam are found typically on an Acura TSX or BMW 3 series.

If you do not want to go through the hassle, just live with it unfortunately.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep in mind the only TRUE, hid bulbs are gunna be the ones that are used in factory hids, like ds1 etc, the kits are mimic bulbs, they do work and do the same job, but for the real deal, your gunna need the true OEM bulbs (i know they dont have hids on tahoes, but OEM philips, like what is used on the c6 and acadia/enclave's) or HID lenses OR BOTH If at all possable, i did not want to give up the coin for both, so i bought a 9005 kit for my low beams and true hid lenses from an aftermarket shop around here. no not halagon projectores TRUE HID lenses, look awsome but with halagon bulbs their dim i had them "worked in there" until i get my kit from MIKE , i have to use them.