Hot smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wongs83

Reaction score
I'm having a couple of issues and I don't know if they are related, but a lot of times when I stop and get out of the vehicle immediatly and walk towards the back, I get a hot smell about the rear axle. It's not a hot brake smell, but it's hard to explain exactly.

The other issue I have is the double clunk you can feel driving as well as in the passenger seat, when I take off from a dead start. This is almost immediatily after taking off and within 10-25-ft. The dealership is telling me this is normal and it's just the transfer cases and drive shafts catching up with one another. However I don't remember feeling this 3 months ago but I have it now.

Any similar smells or clunks?

Thanks

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... What exactly does "hot" smell like? ;)

I dunno, but I have no issues like that here. Could be a differential / wheel bearing issue, esp. with that "clunk" you've mentioned. I'd take it to another dealer's service center and have 'em check it for real.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same exact odor........but no side effects. I have no clunks in mine. Dealer is giving you a line of shyt.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I occasionally smell something but I don't notice it until I walk around back to pass side.

I have always associated it with splash up onto exhaust or something because of location.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting -- is that something you guys tend to notice after driving it for a long time (i.e. not after a quick 10 minute trip, but after sitting in traffic or whatever for like an hour)?

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my mothers acadia was new (less than 3k miles) it would have that burning smell. the dealer said it was just the oils and stuff burning off the exhaust. it went away at about 5k miles. we smelled it more in the cold weather than warm tough, and very strong in the garage. just throwing that out there.

Tahoe07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My commute is 15 minutes...hardly any stop lights.

It happens more when it's cold but doesn't have to be wet or rainy to get it.

I've had mine for over 2 years so i'm sure the oils have burned off.

jmor357706

Reaction score
Mine is stinky and clunky as well, 2006 Z71. I can not get the vehicle to act up at the dealer, so I just deal with it. See 2000-2006 forum for "clunk in rear suspension.

frankthetank

Reaction score
I think I had the similar smell you are describing, I took it in to the dealership to have the oil changed and they noticed the transmission gasket had a small leak. The dealership fixed it under warranty and had it the next day. The technician said that it was pretty common on the 2007's, but after replacing the gasket they have not seen the problem. I have not noticed the smell since they replaced the gasket. Just a thought on what it could be.

jperaino

Reaction score
I have an 08 Yukon Denali and occasionally get the exact smell you are describing. The dealer can find nothing wrong.
As far as the bump or clunk upon accelerating, I get it when pulling out. It alomost feels like the suspension is hitting. It happens about 60% of the time upon initial acceleration.

rgh1021

Reaction score
I am having the same problem with the smell, but its more towards the front. I see a lot of people are having a similar issue, but was anyone given a solution?