how do i hook up a second battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swndlr2jdg

Reaction score
how would i hook up a second battery for my car audio. i have a 1999 tahoe it used to be the round rock fire chiefs and i wnted to hook up a second battery to my amps but im not sure how to get power to the second battery any advice

woldd90

Reaction score
Depends on where you are going to install the battery and how you want them wired up. I have a Wrangler NW, dual battery kit that installes the second battery in the engine compartment with the switch in the cab. You can then select to run the primary battery only or two batteries together or use one battery to jump off the other. The secondary battery connects to the first and gets charged by the alternator.

The simpelist way to do it is to run a welding cable or a 0 or 1 gage wire from the positive terminal on the primary battery to the positive side of the secondary battery, then ground the negative terminal of the secondary battery to the frame. Then you can connect your audio amps to the second battery. You may want to upgrade your alternator if you are going to use a lot of power.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have a 99 tahoe - than most likely you already have the second battery tray located on the drivers side of the vehicle.. all you need to do, is go to a parts yard, and find the rubber peice that holds the battery in, than go to autozone, get the longest cable you can find.. * i have two top, and side post batteries so, this was easy for me, on the factory battery, if top post, it is very easy to get a top post battery cable, and put it on the postive of the factory battery - if not, than turn the cable around, and make sure you get a top and side for the new batt - the factory already has an exended postive sidepost bolt, just hook the new positive wire to it(if u dont have a top post to hook it too) - and hook the other side to the positive on the new batt (or get the PAC-200 and wire it in) wire the Neg on the new batt to a bolt found around the Power steering pump on the motor - wire your amp in and your good to go

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the second post, forgot to add attachment

here you can see my dual batts

Attachments

• dualbatt.jpg
    dualbatt.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 27

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We really need a Audio section. Just seema like alot of posts latley are audio issues.