How Do Your Subs Compare?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sorry if this is not the place to post this but I wasnt sure where else to post this question for the EMF Car Audio guys?

What is the difference between the different models?
ZV3
ZV4

Im currently running 2 12" Alpine Type R's in my Tahoe.
Previously I had 8 12" Power Bass in my Scion XB
Previously before that I had a crawl through with 4 12" Power Bass in my Chevy Silverado..

How will yours compete?

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im sorry if this is not the place to post this but I wasnt sure where else to post this question for the EMF Car Audio guys?

What is the difference between the different models?
ZV3
ZV4

Im currently running 2 12" Alpine Type R's in my Tahoe.
Previously I had 8 12" Power Bass in my Scion XB
Previously before that I had a crawl through with 4 12" Power Bass in my Chevy Silverado..

How will yours compete?

Sorry it took so long to reply, I didn't get any notification anything was posted.

The Zv3 and Zv4 are very different in build. The Zv3 is a model being phased out but still available, the Zv4 is replacing it. The Zv4 has a new tooled basket, 50% more excursion, stronger motor, and greater output. The Zv3 in a standard configuration works well for music or SPL applications while the standard Zv4 configuration will do better on low end and best suited on music, not as well on high frequency SPL but can be built for that specifically.

In comparison to your Type R's, they aren't even in the same ballpark. Are you wanting to go back to 2 12's? The Zv4's are 1750 RMS (conservatively rated) so a 3500 would be appropriate to power a pair.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMF Car Audio

No worries on the slight delay in responding to my message.

Do your subs work best in even or odd numbers?

I guess 1 3 5 7

or

2 4 6 8

Sealed or Ported Boxes?

I was thinking about sticking with the 2 12"s but the price of your subs are slightly on the high side. Which im not down grading your subs in anyway.

I also understand when it comes to audio that you pay for what you get. So I think that your subs must be of high quality.

So I was debating on getting 1 of your 12"s and then save up and purchase the 2nd one.

We are in the process of fully building the tahoe to display in our company booths and then we will also try to get it into SEMA this year. The company thats building the truck does a couple of SEMA vehicles each year. They also did my other audio and custom car builds that I mentioned above..

I Love the massive magnets on the subs..

:waytogo:

What type of SPL would I hit with a box built to spec with 2 12" ZV4's and 1 SAZ-3500d V2.

The guy who builds my vehicles for us had an astro van with a wall of 6 15's in it that he used to compete in SPL with.

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No worries on the slight delay in responding to my message.

Do your subs work best in even or odd numbers?

I guess 1 3 5 7

or

2 4 6 8

Sealed or Ported Boxes?

I was thinking about sticking with the 2 12"s but the price of your subs are slightly on the high side. Which im not down grading your subs in anyway.

I also understand when it comes to audio that you pay for what you get. So I think that your subs must be of high quality.

So I was debating on getting 1 of your 12"s and then save up and purchase the 2nd one.

We are in the process of fully building the tahoe to display in our company booths and then we will also try to get it into SEMA this year. The company thats building the truck does a couple of SEMA vehicles each year. They also did my other audio and custom car builds that I mentioned above..

I Love the massive magnets on the subs..

:waytogo:

What type of SPL would I hit with a box built to spec with 2 12" ZV4's and 1 SAZ-3500d V2.

The guy who builds my vehicles for us had an astro van with a wall of 6 15's in it that he used to compete in SPL with.

The number of subs only has 1 bearing, final impedance. All the subs I carry have either dual 1, dual 2, or dual 4 coils. So you could do an odd number, but you'd get an odd impedance at the amp, potentially not optimal. Sealed or ported depends on which driver you're wanting to use. Something like Z's you'd want to do ported.

The Z's are the most expensive sub Sundown makes, the SA's and E's are pretty cheap in comparison to other comparable subs on the market (not that the Z's aren't). The SA12 is the most popular sub by far, and its under $200 shipped. It simply can't be beat in its price point.

As for SPL, you simply can't estimate that. There are far too many variables to even consider guessing.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMF Car Audio

I think I was thinking about looking into getting:

2 12" ZV4's

In a ported box.

Are you an authorized vendor for the company or are you the direct company that manufacturers the subs?

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I think I was thinking about looking into getting:

2 12" ZV4's

In a ported box.

Are you an authorized vendor for the company or are you the direct company that manufacturers the subs?

I'm an authorized dealer of Sundown and Audio Technix, and the manufacturer of the EMF Audio subs. The Zv4's are pre-order till the 15th, then that gets shut off, FYI. You'd wanna order before then.

HeadLightBulbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EMF Audio Subs

That is amazing that your an authorized dealer of Sundown and Audio Technix, and the manufacturer of the EMF Audio subs.

Big Props especially on the EMF Audio Subs. You must be really knowledgable with car audio..

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
That is amazing that your an authorized dealer of Sundown and Audio Technix, and the manufacturer of the EMF Audio subs.

Big Props especially on the EMF Audio Subs. You must be really knowledgable with car audio..

I need to update my sig, I just picked up XS Power as well. I've been in the game a while, competing since 1999. I've been doing R&D for a few companies since 2001 also. All the 8's that have come out of Sundown I've been a big part of development.