how many quarts of oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to change the oil in my girlfriends 6.2l Denali... how many quarts? I bought 6 quarts but want to make sure it doesnt need more

RIZZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say 7 to be safe...

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since you already bought 6 qts after you install the filter add 5 qts of oil

start the motor for 30 seconds to get the oil into the new filter and shut it off

wait 5 mintues for oil to drain back to the pan and recheck the oil level

If the oil level is still low add the extra qt and make a note for the next oil change if its 5 or 6.;)

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea it was 6... thanks for the help with the lame question guys

GM Fan

Reaction score
I have had two oil changes at my dealer and both times my dip stick is over the high mark by about a quart. I have the 5.3l engine. Should I worry?

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had two oil changes at my dealer and both times my dip stick is over the high mark by about a quart. I have the 5.3l engine. Should I worry?

Sure its bad, the risk is that the crankshaft hits the oil level, causing hydraulic shock and for which its not designed. And of course if the level is really high it starts getting into the piston area.

Bring her back to the dealer and have them drain some oil out of it.

GM Fan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I took out almost a quart. Using the dip stick, it now is at the normal level. The dealer where I took it to appears that they didn't lube the only two zert fittings either. Because the grease was full of road grime. I went ahead and greased them myself.
I was getting tired of doing my own oil changes but now I'm having second thoughts.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I changed my own I trusted the manual and dumped in 6 qts.. When I checked the dip stick I found to my amazement that I had the same problem. The dip stick said it was a quart too high. I went to the dealer and asked them if the manual was wrong or was the dipstick wrong. They didn't have an answer. They told me it wouldn't be a problem though. I drove it like that for 6000K.

The next time I took it in and let the dealer change it. I told them to only put in 5 1/2 qts.. So what do they do? They put in the whole 6 qts. so once again it was too high. Again they told me it's not a problem. I now have 13,000 K and so far it hasn't been a problem. At least I don't think I have a problem. I asked the same question your asking and several guys on this site also said it shouldn't be a problem. And some said it would be.

The moral of the story I guess is if you ask 10 people a question you'll get 10 different answers. The only way to really make sure it's right is to do it yourself and put in 5 then check the level as 07Suburban says. (But how do we know for sure that we can trust the dipstick? Or if we should believe the manual and put in 6 as it says? I don't know the answer!!)

Kipuka

Reaction score
My 2008 Tahoe takes 6 and reads slightly above full.
Ive always done my own oil changes on every car I have owned since 1976 (22 cars). I find it satisfying to know i did it and did it right. At times like mid winter i have gone to a lube place, always found they spilled and didnt clean, didnt tighten, and even found them in the back seat for no reason at all. Also their oil dirtied and burned faster. Cheap oil and cheap (Fram) filters offered there, and to go to a decent oil and filter they charged too much.
Latest ratings puts Valvoline or Castrol and Mobil One or K&N filters top rated. I heard K&N is made from the same MFG as Mobil One.
My sons 2009 Honda Fit cant clear the ramps and we dont want to jack it up, so his car has to go to a lube shop. But they will use your oil and filter, but wont give a discount to use it. Tried to build a 2x12 board ramp but the distance btwn front and back is too small. I digress.