How many use the hands free calling feature?

How many use the hands free feature?

• Yes I love it, used it from day one!

Votes: 54 41.9%
  • Just started using it, and I like it.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • try it, diden't like it

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Never used it.

Votes: 22 17.1%
  • Never used it and don't plan to.

Votes: 19 14.7%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sk4ravens

Reaction score
How much does the monthly package of minutes cost. I haven't even used my onstar calling feature in my Tahoe even though I still have the free 30 minutes. But in my Jeep Chreokee, it has the bluetooth and that thing is awesome. I probably talk on that a good 200 minutes a month

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like it, but i don't have verizon. It is to expensive to purchase minutes, so I only have some minutes in case that I leave my cellphone home and I need to call somebody, or for when I may not have service through my cellphone aand I need to make a call. I think that if GM decides to offer the oportunity to everyone to integrate onstar with any of the mayor cellphone carrier instead of just Verizon, there would be a lot of people that may opt to purchase a GM vehicle with ONStar to take advantage of the handsfree. Plus that would become an extra and big selling point for some people!

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...for when I may not have service through my cellphone aand I need to make a call. ...

I was very disappointed to find out that the "carphone" does not give you coverage everywhere. I thought I would use it in a known dead spot but I had to no luck, no serivce. Just a heads up don't rely on 100%. I bought the mintues just in case I don't have my "night at the roxberry" phone :mob: . it also made me think what if I get into an accident in a dead spot will on star be able to response? :wow:

The_Yukonator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was very disappointed to find out that the "carphone" does not give you coverage everywhere. I thought I would use it in a known dead spot but I had to no luck, no serivce. Just a heads up don't rely on 100%. I bought the mintues just in case I don't have my "night at the roxberry" phone :mob: . it also made me think what if I get into an accident in a dead spot will on star be able to response? :wow:

I'm not saying that I have OnStar service everywhere but there had been times when I don't have coverage with my cellphone and I was able to use the onstar to make a call. As for the accident in a dead spot you may want carry a flare gun, shoot one round and pray somebody sees it and don't think it's an UFO:smilielol:

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the onstar accident alert system uses a satilite accessable ANYWARE, but the phone uses the same celluare antennas your cell phone uses, just has more power, before the stupid government made us use digital. we had a range from anyware from 20-30 miles from antenna to car using analog, now using digital that range is down to FIVE, that is why your phone coverage is not really that much better than your regular cell phone.

Last edited:

dmargaros

Reaction score

Nala

Reaction score
What I dislike about onstar is You can't get PrePaid minutes at the dealership even though I don't see how increase frequency at the dealerships is a negative. Can't buy minutes without a credit card, I understand if you need the minutes ASAP, but if is going to be a while before you need them there should be other options like the plans. And where I live here in Canada I can't link the minutes to my cell provider. Also you need to call the Tahoe 3 times before it starts ringing. Minutes expire with the subscription every year. No caller ID

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I dislike about onstar is You can't get PrePaid minutes at the dealership even though I don't see how increase frequency at the dealerships is a negative. Can't buy minutes without a credit card, I understand if you need the minutes ASAP, but if is going to be a while before you need them there should be other options like the plans. And where I live here in Canada I can't link the minutes to my cell provider. Also you need to call the Tahoe 3 times before it starts ringing. Minutes expire with the subscription every year. No caller ID

somthings wrong....

mine lets me know everything and i dont need to call three times.

Nala

Reaction score
somthings wrong....

mine lets me know everything and i dont need to call three times.

Do you live in the US or Canada? I live in Canada. Mine isn't linked to a cell provider. So you get caller id? Is it numbers that are stored in your address book, or just any plain jane number? Even when I call the house it doesn't display the number it just says "Private Number".

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you live in the US or Canada? I live in Canada. Mine isn't linked to a cell provider. So you get caller id? Is it numbers that are stored in your address book, or just any plain jane number? Even when I call the house it doesn't display the number it just says "Private Number".

USA, but mine only does stored numbers. but i only give my number out to the people i store. :cool2:

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the hands free. I just buy the minutes from onstar though. It was 200 minutes for $71 I think. I have Verizon but I have the 500 min. family share plan now. To hook the Tahoe to Verizon I'd have to get the 700 minute plan for $10 more a month, then add an additional line for another $10 a month and they make you sign a new Verizon contract for at least a year. So it winds up costing me around $240 more a year. Just didn't think it was worth it. I don't use the phone that much anyway but when u need it, it's very convenient.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I always just hang up and answer a call by using the button that looks like somebody talking, does that not work with yall? I'm addicted to onstar, I use it all the time for traffic and directions. I do not mind paying that bill as much as I use it. I think I use about 150 personal calling minutes a month, I usually just buy the biggest package and it lasts a while. It makes me mad how your minutes expire with the subscription every year, though.

I love Onstar, in fact I want my wife's next car to have it.

Black Dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love Onstar, in fact I want my wife's next car to have it.

Onstar is pretty slick, it's waaay better than the BMW Assist in my wife's 530i. Sometimes I think they could use MY assistance.

And since it looks like this thread is up again, I bought the 100 minutes for the $15 promo start, added to the 30. But I never used it and when I hooked to Verizon it superceded that. They told me to hurry up and use all the minutes or they'll be gone, so I was like what? why don't you hurry up and give me a refund? which I think they actually refunded $45.?. But I got lucky that my company phone is VZ so I just added the line, no cost to me. So far it seems pretty impressive, but it should totally run through the nav screen. Did some autostores but there's still some things I don't know yet. But I do like it, I like it a lot.

ceez

Reaction score
I love it too. I added it to my Verizon plan and use it almost everyday.

JD Larue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i like it but i wish i could dial using hte touch screen insted of voice command, it does not like my voice.

but its cool, but i wish i could answer a call by hitting the button on the wheel as well as end the call.

to answer a call you have to hit the phone button, but to end it you can hit the ear thing on the wheel. why not both. :wow: :mad:

and i dont like the way it rings, i wish it had a real ringer, why does it ringing sound like im makeing the call?

You can answer a call by pressing the mute button on the wheel and end the call by pressing the down arrow on the wheel. (the station selection down arrow).

dknappia

Reaction score
You all should really try the gm lockpick with a bluetooth handsfree kit...It actually uses the onstar system in your truck and worksgreat...all functions on the system work great and the callers on the othr end say the sound is fine...had problems with other systems in the past.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
You all should really try the gm lockpick with a bluetooth handsfree kit...It actually uses the onstar system in your truck and worksgreat...all functions on the system work great and the callers on the othr end say the sound is fine...had problems with other systems in the past.

But why do that,? Onstar is already hands free.