How to clean your fogged headlights cheaply and make them look new again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see this a lot on every forum I am a member of...

I have four cars a 1998 Monte Carlo, 2002 trailblazer (junk), 1998 2 dr tahoe and a 2000 Buick ultra. My wife has a 2012 accent so hers are still nice and clear, but all four of my cars had really bad fogged lights, they are ugly and dangerous! I paid a body shop to clean one at the cost of 150 bucks, I bought the restore kit from my local parts house for the cost of 20-30 bucks, and I had Walmart do it (ha ha) at the cost of 40 bucks all to last 6 months to a week, I did some research and couldn't find a good way to clean them and last or even look any different. I was at a friends house who restores vintage gi joes and he told me about this kit to polish plastic, it's a 3 part kit from the brand novus. I tried it and it worked pretty good however still was foggy so I did some searching and combined a few different techniques from different places and the results are AMAZING.

I started with a spray bottle of water to keep the lenses wet, a bowl with water, some wet/dry sandpaper with 2000, 1500, and 1000 grits, the three stage novus polish kit, 3 very soft microfiber cloths and some paper tape. Total spend was around $15-20 bucks for everything....

Started by cleaning the headlights with water and a paper towel, dried then taped all the painted areas and chrome areas that I didn't want to harm with the sandpaper, then after soaking the sandpaper in the bowl of water for a few minutes I started spraying water on the lens sanding starting with 1000 girt paper, did that for a few minutes in each side, making sure it stayed wet I kept sanding till the milky white water turned clear, then I worked down doing same thing with each grit, 1000, 1500, then 2000. After all that I took the stage 3 polish and with half of one of the cloths I buffed the lights with that per the instructions on bottle, then with the clean side of cloth I buffed clean, then again with the stage 2 bottle and then with the last step which is stage 1 it's the "sealer" I also added meguiars headlight sealer bought at Walmart. It's in a black bottle. Total time about 1 hour to an hour and a half. And the results are the lights are like new, no foggyness and I didn't have to buy new lights! I did all this by hand so I didn't ruin the lights by burning them, it's not hard at all. My 1998 Monte Carlo I did over a year ago and it's still clear as new!

So before you replace your lights save some cash and try restoring them!

I found the novus plastic polish on eBay for 11.00 for all three bottles in the 2oz size which will do several cars. The sandpaper was 2.00-3.00 for the 2000,1500,1000 kit. The meguiars sealer was like 5.00 at Walmart and the microfiber cloths I got at dollar store. Elbow grease was free. Results were priceless... I have done headlights, turn signals, and tail lights all with like new looks and still clear after about a year. Even had a scratch on my sunglasses and I used just the polish without the sandpaper of corse and it polished it right up... This stuff is great!

My tahoe has some really bad tail lights so I will clean them up and post before and after pics for you guys to see. Anyone can do it just do it exactly like what's above and you'll be fine.

Last edited:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Subscribed..... my last few attempts at this failed.... may give this a whirl.... cant wait to see your results.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At the present, so many companies are marketing Headlight Restore Kits, 3M, Meguiars, , and just about every other company out there.

All work to one degree ot another, but some lights can be so far gone, yellowed and hazy, that more agressive methods might be needed, rather than just liquid polishes.

As you suggest, sandpapers of varying coarsenesses. Like any detailing project, always try to use the least agressive method that will get the job done.

Novus Polishes are products I've used for a good many years. Many hobbyists use them for things like the vintage Ludwig Vistalite Plexiglass Drums, it's the perfect product for polishing, and maintaining Acrylic, I use it myself on my VPI Turntable's Black Acrylic Plinth-Base to keep it looking flawless.

Also great on Turntable Dust Covers, Guitar Pickguards, Convertible Windows, Motorcycle Fairings, the list goes on and on.

The one problem can be once you've restored your Headlamps, and Tail Lights, you have of course removed any small remnants of the UV protection of the Lens, and they need some type of coating to somehow replace this protection, and to retain the luster.

There's lots of specific high tech synthetic sealants-coatings available on the market whch are very long lasting, made by companies like CarPro, Optimum, Diamondite, GTechniq, and some others.

Places like AutoGeek, and the sister company Autopia carry such products. I've been a member over at their forum and a totally satisfied customer of thiers since last Oct, and these two places carry a vast array of cutting edge car care products.

I highly recommend these two sites, not only for the products they carry, but for the valuable resource of information from its forum members. Their business is absolutely first rate, and they stand 100% behind every product they sell. Often free shipping, discounts, buy one get one free deals, etc.
Mark

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Updated pics of tail light restore using the wet sanding and novus polish...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 11

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 8

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know why I can only upload on pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like new, no scratches or haziness...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 6

taho3fan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good as new. Will definitely dig this for future reference. Thanks for sharing!

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about pictures of the rest of the truck?

98_2DR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will have some Thursday, adding some tube steps and giving it a good detail.

smokeater13

Reaction score
Great post, I definitely have to do this to all my lights...

side question: is there a way to save a thread like this one for future reference?

smokeater13

Reaction score
"Even had a scratch on my sunglasses and I used just the polish without the sandpaper of corse and it polished it right up... This stuff is great!"

For anybody reading this, I would NOT use this stuff on sunglasses!!!! I did everything the post said to on my headlights and taillights and the results were better than what they were before I did the job so I can't complain there.
I've got an old pair of Oakley polarized lenses that are scratched beyond use laying around so I used the polish on one of them. It turned out HORRIBLE! Now there's a ring around the outside of the lens and I'm not even sure if they're polarized anymore. I work at Sunglass Hut too, so I'll test that part out later. Anyway, all the scratches are still present and the lens looks much worse, so dont use this on a pair of glasses you care about. Luckily, mine were junk lenses anyway.

So, hopefully this post saves someone from messing their glasses up!