How to get the most out of my Tahoe?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matrix80

Reaction score
I recently bought a Tahoe Premier with every option but the 5.3 model. I even did all the cosmetic upgrades, the wind stuff, tinted windows, $2K 22" tires, etc.

What GM-approved upgrades are worth it? I can do the Brembo brakes, exhaust, and CAI all at my dealer. But that's pumping me a few HP, at most.

I've been looking at ideas like Hennessy, which are very expensive. Worst, it probably kills the warranty. I'm not sure.

Also, the 2021 Tahoe is supposed to be completely redesigned, and of course can pick the "RST" model at that time. I can't do it now, because the negative equity is absurd.

SARNCAN

Reaction score
I recently bought a Tahoe Premier with every option but the 5.3 model. I even did all the cosmetic upgrades, the wind stuff, tinted windows, $2K 22" tires, etc.

What GM-approved upgrades are worth it? I can do the Brembo brakes, exhaust, and CAI all at my dealer. But that's pumping me a few HP, at most.

I've been looking at ideas like Hennessy, which are very expensive. Worst, it probably kills the warranty. I'm not sure.

Also, the 2021 Tahoe is supposed to be completely redesigned, and of course can pick the "RST" model at that time. I can't do it now, because the negative equity is absurd.

- 360 Cameras for me!
You can get front and two side cameras from GM accessories or some online sellers.

- Roof side bars and Thule cargo box.

- LED high beam and fog lights.

- Black front and rear emblem.

- All weather mats.

and more ...

Matrix80

Reaction score
Thanks, I did do the blacked emblems. I'm not sure what I'd use a cargo box for, it is just myself and wife. I'm actually upgrading from a Corvette C6, so this space galore.

You can check out the vehicle at https://imgur.com/1qguZ8r .

I'm more so talking performance enhancements that are worth it. Such as the GM exhaust and Brembo brakes, or a specialty service such as Hennessy that overhauls it.

I have no need for the 360 camera's, and it came with the All-Weather that I actually removed right away for the carpets. I'd actually like to sell those at some point, but they're bulky and not easily shipped.

SARNCAN

Reaction score
Thanks, I did do the blacked emblems. I'm not sure what I'd use a cargo box for, it is just myself and wife. I'm actually upgrading from a Corvette C6, so this space galore.

You can check out the vehicle at https://imgur.com/1qguZ8r .

I'm more so talking performance enhancements that are worth it. Such as the GM exhaust and Brembo brakes, or a specialty service such as Hennessy that overhauls it.

I have no need for the 360 camera's, and it came with the All-Weather that I actually removed right away for the carpets. I'd actually like to sell those at some point, but they're bulky and not easily shipped.

Ok you should have mentioned the Corvette at the first place [emoji28].
The 5.3 premier is good but if I were you and looking for performance, I would definitely pick the 6.2 RST.
Anyways, you can get the K&N air intake filter with some tuning, and for sure either of the Borla or Corsa cat-back exhaust system depends on the sound pitch you like and dB output level. I would go with the Borla, but you will find the Corsa is more like the Corvette output sound (check YouTube).
Brembo break is good, but be ready for the cost $$.
Performance manifolds as a next stage later maybe. * Performance upgrade will definitely kill the warranty if is made outside the dealer shop.

For the 360 cameras, trust me, at some point of time you will need it. It is in the top of my must to do list especially for the front camera.
I have tinted rear tail lights (Vinyl wrap) and that makes difference in the look.

Hennessy have listed their upgrades if you want to take a look (http://hennesseyperformance.com/vehicles/chevrolet-2/tahoe/)

You can also paint the wheels to match RST look since they are the same wheels, and maybe Vinyl wrap all the chromes in black.

baa8964b6504c5af995555e0d552a785.jpg

Last edited:

Matrix80

Reaction score
Thanks, yes the Corvette does put things into perspective :banana-mario: The RST should definitely have been chosen, but missed my opportunity.

I didn't know they were the same wheels? Any recommendations? It looks gloss black/machined face.

The GM exhaust looks to be 1249, maybe worth it if it helps at all with some extra pep and aggressive sound. I'm thinking it'll be tame if it's OEM. I don't think they make it for the Tahoe?, but like the "ATAK" version of Borla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyHwfnAkUXs @ 3:08.

The only "true" upgrade I see is the Brembo system, and that's $2895. Probably worth it to have true braking abilities.

SARNCAN

Reaction score
Thanks, yes the Corvette does put things into perspective :banana-mario: The RST should definitely have been chosen, but missed my opportunity.

I didn't know they were the same wheels? Any recommendations? It looks gloss black/machined face.

The GM exhaust looks to be 1249, maybe worth it if it helps at all with some extra pep and aggressive sound. I'm thinking it'll be tame if it's OEM. I don't think they make it for the Tahoe?, but like the "ATAK" version of Borla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyHwfnAkUXs @ 3:08.

The only "true" upgrade I see is the Brembo system, and that's $2895. Probably worth it to have true braking abilities.

For the Brembo, check the break pad price first, not only the system $$

Borla have three:
-Touring (which the GM accessories has ( sound is low)
- S-type (Best option as mild, no sound when cruising, only when you hit the acceleration pedal)
- ATAK (very aggressive. All the time)

Here is the Corsa (https://youtu.be/G8qVKhhs7GI)

Wheel are the same in term of the shape, but the finishing is different. If you know a good shop they can do it for you.

Last edited: