How to prepare my Yukon to tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jadimon

Reaction score
I'm finding bits and pieces all over the net, but not a definitive answer to a few questions I have regarding the prep I'll require to get my 1995 5.7L 2 door Yukon up to handling about an 8,000lbs all told, trailer.

Questions for the panel:

Do I have a 3:73 or 4:1 read end? (I can't find a website that can tell me from my vin)

Should I have a motor home cam installed?

Which sway bars are the best to install?

Which weight transferring bars are the industries best?

Should I swap out to Rancho gas shocks all the way around?

Do I need a transmission cooler? Which one is the best?

What can I do to better my brakes?

I plan to go from Denver to southern Florida, then stay around Florida, so the terrain should be flat all the way through except the Blue Ridge Mountains.

I want to be prepared as much as possible.

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I have a 3:73 or 4:1 read end? (I can't find a website that can tell me from my vin)

Never done any towing, so I can only help with this one question - you want to look at the RPO codes on the build sheet (usually found glued to the glovebox). The VIN may not tell you. The rear axle codes start with G. You can look them up against this list:

http://www.c2e.info/rpocodes/gmrpocodesGthroughM.html

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
A cam with a profile to provide more low end torque would be good. Swapping cams in the older 5.7s are a snap. A trans cooler is a must, and the bigger the better. I'd replace all the suspension bushings if they are still original. Without performing a major brake upgrade, you can still get better stopping power by adding better pads with a higher friction coefficient. Flush the brake system and refill with fresh DOT 4 fluid. Make sure you check your cooling system also. Make sure the system holds proper pressure, and I'd backflush and refill the entire system. Check all your belts, make sure all your fluids are topped off, and make sure you have a clean air filter and tires are inflated properly before your trip.

jadimon

Reaction score
Thank you

A cam with a profile to provide more low end torque would be good. Swapping cams in the older 5.7s are a snap. A trans cooler is a must, and the bigger the better. I'd replace all the suspension bushings if they are still original. Without performing a major brake upgrade, you can still get better stopping power by adding better pads with a higher friction coefficient. Flush the brake system and refill with fresh DOT 4 fluid. Make sure you check your cooling system also. Make sure the system holds proper pressure, and I'd backflush and refill the entire system. Check all your belts, make sure all your fluids are topped off, and make sure you have a clean air filter and tires are inflated properly before your trip.

I'll take your advice.:)