How to replace a tail light backplane. - WARNING - Lots of Pics.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardwarz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WARNING: The pics are high res pics and may take a minute or two to load up.

On my 99 Tahoe (4 door, 4x4) I was having intermittent problems with my blinker. I figured that the problem was the bulb. The rear wasn't blinking. I decided to replace it.

The tools you'll need are:
1/4" nut driver
standard screwdriver
dielectric gel
toolsix1.jpg

To get the tail light housing off the vehicle, there are 2 screws holding it in. Open up the rear hatch and you'll find the two screw holes. Use the 1/4" nut driver to remove these screws.

Upper screw
upperholejp9.jpg

Lower screw
bottomholejf3.jpg

The housing pulls toward the ouside. There are 2 tabs that hold it in place.
removeinstallmn3.jpg

The backplane is held to the housing by 2 screws. These are 1/4". Remove these.
backplaneinstalledaj8.jpg

I went to replace the bulb, but when I tried to pull the bulb out, the bulb started working. I removed the bulb and found the socket like this:
badblinkerplugfullou0.jpg

badblinkerplugzg2.jpg

Once I found out the problem was the backplane, I went to Autozone. I picked up left and right backplanes made by HELP. These ran about $35 for the pair.

I had to use a screw driver to remove the plug that was attached to the backplane.
backplaneplugtc8.jpg

I transfered the light bulbs, making sure to use dielectric gel before seating the bulbs. Before installing the backplane back onto the housing, I made sure I set the gasket in the right place.
gasketfx8.jpg

Installation is exactly the same, but in reverse.

Tip: When screwing the housing back in place, use a piece of paper to hold the screw in place. This will allow you to place and tighten the screw in with little effort.
nutdriverih3.jpg

Screw in the top screw, but do not tighten fully. If it's fully tight, you'll have a hard time getting the bottom screw in. Once both screws are started, then tighten the screws.
Hope this helps.

Hardwarz

Last edited:

Class_D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work Hardwarz!!

I had to do just that when my driverside tail light wasnt working right. tail light would turn on but wouldnt flash when activating turn signal of hazard lights! thought it was a bad flasher, turns out it was a bad backplane/circuit board.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grabbed a pair of them off of a wrecked Suburban at my local pick-a-part for $2 each. They were in like new condition. The owner must have replaced them shortly before he wrapped the thing around a tree. His loss was my gain I guess.

jwpotts0413

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn qlc1964, that hoe is all nigged out...

sry im a redneck

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only two in st.louis with this set up me& and my neigbor.
eye catchers!!!!! red

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-- I bought a new pair of taillights - and instead of having the circuit boards they actually contain a new harness and wirest the lights str8 to the bulbs - whole lot better... never have had a problem since - i'll take a tail-light out and snap some pics of what i mean..