Howto: Install auxillary reverse lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How-to: Install auxillary reverse lights **UPDATED WITH SWITCH**

After getting my windows tinted, I realized that it was EXTREMELY difficult to see out my back window at night (street isn't lit well... the lights reflect off the wall and make it hard to see). I looked for solutions, but couldn't find anything that really fit. I saw that you can just throw in a 55w light bulb in the stock location, but it didn't help much and was reported to burn / melt the plastic lens after time. There was a kit made by White Night that gave me an idea.... here's a picture:
2pics.jpg

They wanted $99 for the kit plus some extra wiring harnesses and adapter brackets to make it all work without extra wiring. I could not afford it, but I could pick up some driving lights and do it myself.

I started with Pilot HID-simulated driving lights (in other words: cheap fog lights... anything with 55w dual lights will do) for $19.99. Here's a picture:
pilpl-2055c003.jpg

...and a link

These lights came with the wiring, mounting hardware, and a switch(which I'm not going to use). You will need a few connectors:
Tap splice:
u553302.jpg

Disconnects: (optional... if you want to be able to disconnect the lights in the future)
InsulatedDisconnect.jpg

OR... if you can just get this:

4162.JPG

and use a male disconnect, it is much easier. Otherwise, you will have to create your own disconnect on the splice. Again, the disconnect is optional. you can simply use the tap splice to permanantly splice the wires, if that's what you prefer. I knew I wanted to wire in a switch at a later time and would need the disconnect, so I used it. For sake of this how-to, I will use the disconnect that I used.

Once you have the parts, you will need to find the light green wire that comes out of the factory trailering harness. (should be the one to the middle pins of the harness). For safety sake, test the wire with a continuity tester or a multimeter to make sure you've got the right one. I turned the key to "on", put on the parking brake, and shifted to reverse to test this. ***USE EXTREME CAUTION - THE VEHCILE CAN ROLL OVER YOU IF YOU DO NOT USE THE PARKING BRAKE OR A WHEEL STOP***
After you test the wire to make sure you got the right one, place the open end of the tap splice onto the wire. Stick an un-stripped wire into the closed side (there is a barrier in the middle, so make sure your wire goes through on the right side, or you will not splice the wire correctly) When both wires are in, use pliars to crimp down the metal connector and secure the connector strap across the connector. Strip the other end of the wire you spliced into it and place a female disconnect onto it, and crimp it. This will give you a spliced disconnect. Tuck the new connection back into the wire loom and tape it up with electrical tape to make sure it's secure and safe from the elements. (leave the disconnect hanging out).

Now, it's time to find a ground. There are a few places to find a ground, but I was uncomfortable with using the grounding strap for the fuel filler neck, so I created my own. Using a self-tapping screw (or drill a hole, and use a fine-threaded sheet metal screw) you can attach a new ground to the chassis. I did mine on the driver's side, right behind the bumper / hitch mount. Attach the black wire on the light harness (from the Autozone kit) to your ground. The kit has a small open-end connector on it that can be easily attached to a ground.

At this point, you can add a male connector to the white wire in the cabling kit and plug it into the disconnect if you want, however I would wait until the lights are mounted before connecting power to them.

I chose a spot in the bumper (between two long holes) to mount my lights. I also wanted to aim them a little to the sides to get a better viewing angle. This is not required, however if you do, you will get a better angle. The supplied screws are not meant to mount to metal, so I would not recommend using them. Use a sheet metal screw (3/16 is a good size) that is fine or standard threaded (DO NOT USE COURSE THREADS AS IT WILL NOT SECURE CORRECTLY). Drill your pilot holes (if you're using 3/16 thread screws, I would use 5/32 pilot holes as the bumper is rather thick and WILL bind a screw if the hole is too tight. Mount the lights using the supplied brackets and bolts / lock washers and finger tighten. (I used the middle hole as it let me adjust the lights better) Connect the supplied wiring from the lights to the correct color-matched connectors. If you have not added your male end to the white wire, do so now and plug it into your connector. Test the lights by using the method stated above for turning on your reverse lights. The lights should come on with your reverse lights. If they do not, check fuses, and make sure you have all wires secured and matched up correctly. If they turn on, you're done. You can either tuck the wires up into the bumper and secure them to the wirelooms that go across the back, or if you're like me and wanted the "stock" look, you can buy 10 feet of 3/8" wire loom for about $.99 at a hardware store (read: Home Depot) and make it clean. I zip-tied all the extra wiring together and placed it into the loom, then zip-tied the loom out of the way.

When you're done, your Tahoe should look like this:
Tahoe017.jpg

And the people seeing you back up will see this:
Tahoe019.jpg

For a mere $25-30, you can have as bright of lights as the $99+ systems, and it doesn't require relocating the trailer wiring harness.

If you're good with electrical, you can also wire in a 3-way switch that will allow you to turn them off, turn them on by reverse, and turn them on for utility. That will be my next step. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna stay tuned for the 3-way switch mod. Sounds like a neat setup!

I found the switch... (online, anyways.. haven't actually bought it yet) Now, I just need to figure out where I want to put it! Can't decide if I want to install it in the back (on the outside), in the cargo area or somewhere in-dash. There are benefits and drawbacks to each location. Guess I'll just have to figure it out! To make it look right, I'm going to have to dremel a little... :)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wired it differently than i would have thought. GREAT RIGHT UP THOUGH. I would have thought that you wired them in to the rev lights. Which is what i thought of doing.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wiring them to the reverse lights was an option, however I was a little worried about amperage draw on them (110w @ 12v is just under 10a...), not to mention I didn't see an easy way to find the reverse light wiring... it was much easier to tap into the trailer harness. The trailering harness is meant to have a second set of reverse lights on it, and honestly, I doubt I'll ever use the functionality. That's also why I wanted to wire in a switch to turn them off or fully on if I wanted.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wired it differently than i would have thought. GREAT RIGHT UP THOUGH. I would have thought that you wired them in to the rev lights. Which is what i thought of doing.

Thats what he did, he just found the reverse light wire running to the trailering harnass as opposed to the tail lights. Much easier location to tap into, IMO, and this is probably one of the best mods you can do if you have dark tint - especially tint over privacy glass (which is REALLY dark).

The green wire in the harnass was meant to power reverse lights, right Renegade? Thats what I thought at least, since you get power on that wire only while in reverse...

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what he did, he just found the reverse light wire running to the trailering harnass as opposed to the tail lights. Much easier location to tap into, IMO, and this is probably one of the best mods you can do if you have dark tint - especially tint over privacy glass (which is REALLY dark).

The green wire in the harnass was meant to power reverse lights, right Renegade? Thats what I thought at least, since you get power on that wire only while in reverse...

That is correct. The light green wire carries 12v to the trailer harness... which will activate the reverse lights on a trailer, or I think they may have accessories that run on it (I thought I read there was some sort of braking system for reversing or something to that effect)

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the switch the other day, but still need some more supplies. Hopefully gonna do it this weekend. :)

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the switch in today. It was a bit tougher than I had originally planned, but I really like the functionality! SO... here goes...

What you'll need:
Tahoe047.jpg

Pictured:
  • 3/8" x 10 Wireloom
  • 16ga wire x 25ft (green)
  • 16ga wire x 25ft (red)
  • 3 x 18-14ga disconnects (female)
  • 1 x 18-14ga disconnect (male)
  • 1 x 18-14ga tap splice
  • 1 x On-Off-On switch (rated at least 20a@12v)
  • 1 x piece of cardboard
  • utility knife
  • Dremel w/ cut-off tool
  • Wire strippers / crimpers
  • Pliars

Not Pictured (because I figured it out later...)
  • Drill
  • 1/2" drill bit
  • electrical tape

... AND... no project is complete without....
Tahoe038.jpg

...the 2 1/2 year old jumping around and asking a million questions...

Here's the switch I ended up buying. It's hard to find a good On-Off-On rocker switch for 12v DC applications. I ended up getting this AC application, but the rating is right, I just didn't use 3 of the terminals.
Tahoe025.jpg

Tahoe026.jpg

I looked for the PERFECT spot to put the switch, but couldn't find it... I thought here would be a good place:
Tahoe024.jpg

... but realized that it just felt out of place and that the rear A/C unit was placed in that area. :cryin:

Then, as I was looking around near the fake speaker area... I found the perfect spot... the pillar! There was a hole and everything. Ok, now for the wiring....

There was no magic hole I could go through to get to the outside, so I found I would have to make my own. I took out the taillights using these screws:
Tahoe049.jpg

... and found the perfect place:
Tahoe051.jpg

As the picture shows, I wrapped my wires in the loom and stuffed it through the 1/2" hole I drilled out behind the light. I found that wrapping your wires in the loom first was the easiest way to go. I also had to drill out the 1/2" hole and slide the loom through on the other side to be able to get my 12v power source.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I have my holes drilled, here's the wiring:
Tahoe044.jpg

Green 16ga wire is connected to the disconnect I made in the trailer wiring. (see post above about light green wire... see the connection?;)) Since that was a female disconnect, I added the male disconnect to the end, and tied it in. The red goes straight to the 12v power source. I decided to use the 12v cigarette lighter as a source as it will be rarely used and is 20a fused.
Tahoe048.jpg

Just tap splice your red wire into the orange wire that goes into the lighter, and you will have a good fused 12v source. The white wire is from the light system that I originally plugged into my spliced disconnect at the trailer wiring harness. It was JUST long enough to reach my location. Once the wiring was in place, I plugged my switch in like this:
Tahoe045.jpg

This switch is meant to work two devices from one source instead of control one device with two sources, it just required reversal of the wiring. The center pin needs to be your device wire (the white one that goes to the lights), then plug the other two into the opposite ends. When the switch is in the middle position, it will disconnect all circuits. When it is in the up position (the red wire) it will turn the lights on with the 12v source. When it is in the down position (the green wire) it will only turn on when power is applied to the reverse lights. I test cut my switch hole in the cardboard, and once it was correct, I transferred it to my plastic panel via utility knife. I then used my dremel to cut it out. Here is the final result:
Tahoe046.jpg

Unfortunately, my wife, child, and dog were all running around in the garage, and I was distracted... it came out a LITTLE crooked, but it works!

So, in the down position... I get:
Tahoe019.jpg

In the middle position... I get:
Tahoe017.jpg

In the up position... I get:
Tahoe.jpg

It took me about 2-2.5 hours with some interruptions and plan changes. Now, I can use my lights without having to have reverse on! :cool:

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE, that is awesome! Great job, and very clever using the cigarette lighter as your fused power source. Very, very cool. Now I just need to get my damn tint done, and I'll have a real use for this...although I'll probably go up to autozone this weekend and get all of the stuff anyway, just so I have an excuse to spend a couple hours in the garage! :D

Having the lights available to use for utility is a great idea, and I'm going camping later next month so it will come in handy. This will definitely be worth the install time, with or without the tint done. Thanks again for the great write up.

Anyone else feel this is sticky worthy? I sure do.

ETA - I know how you feel with the 2 1/2 year old running around - my oldest son turns three in November, and he is ALL OVER THE PLACE when I'm in the garage, lol.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DUDE, that is awesome! Great job, and very clever using the cigarette lighter as your fused power source. Very, very cool. Now I just need to get my damn tint done, and I'll have a real use for this...although I'll probably go up to autozone this weekend and get all of the stuff anyway, just so I have an excuse to spend a couple hours in the garage! :D

Having the lights available to use for utility is a great idea, and I'm going camping later next month so it will come in handy. This will definitely be worth the install time, with or without the tint done. Thanks again for the great write up.

Anyone else feel this is sticky worthy? I sure do.

ETA - I know how you feel with the 2 1/2 year old running around - my oldest son turns three in November, and he is ALL OVER THE PLACE when I'm in the garage, lol.

We're going camping next weekend... that's why I wanted to get this done so soon. I'm a little bummed that the switch is crooked, but I don't have enough of a trim piece to correct it. :(

tekrsq

Reaction score
Nice write up, and nice job. I just wired mine to a switch in the center console. That way I can control them from the driver's seat.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice write up, and nice job. I just wired mine to a switch in the center console. That way I can control them from the driver's seat.

Thanks. That was probably the hardest part... deciding on a location for the switch. I could put it in the dash, but figured that we would mostly be using it if we were back there and needed to turn it on... I even thought about putting a waterproof switch on the other side of the hitch (opposite of the trailer lighting) but thought I'd rather have it protected on the inside... the switch can be placed ANYWHERE... the wiring is what really matters. :)

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're going camping next weekend... that's why I wanted to get this done so soon. I'm a little bummed that the switch is crooked, but I don't have enough of a trim piece to correct it. :(

Meh, details. I know how you feel since I'm a wee bit of a perfectionist myself, but you've got a unique and very neat setup to show off.

I'm thinking of taking this one small step further and running the switch and wiring up to the dash...just gotta find a good place to put it, and determine the best route for the wiring.

I'll probably end up abandoning that idea and just put the switch in the back like you did, but it's neat to think about lol.

tekrsq

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking this one small step further and running the switch and wiring up to the dash...just gotta find a good place to put it, and determine the best route for the wiring.

The wiring you can simply run along the seats, under the door thresholds. There's plenty of room. And there's plenty of places on the dash or center console for the switch.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wiring you can simply run along the seats, under the door thresholds. There's plenty of room. And there's plenty of places on the dash or center console for the switch.

In-dash wouldn't be difficult, you'd just need more wiring to complete the job. You'd have to run your wiring all the way up front. (which would require more wire loom and longer wires) I was looking at a place in the center console next to the bottom storage bin (under the cig lighter on the left) which would have given me ample space to mount the switch and have it up front... but after talking with my wife, we decided a rear-mounted switch would fit our needs better. :) It's a good thing, too... this weekend I wanted to flip them on just to piss someone off... LOL