HPTuners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around trying to find a tuner that would allow you to control the V4/V8 mode to improve fuel economy. Apparently there is a way. HPTuners sell a do-it-yourself tuning kit which you tweak settings on your PC then transfer them to your vehicle. Their forum has a bunch of posts where guys using GMT900s have modified fuel economy settings. One guy even used the Tow/Haul button to toggle the Fuel Economy on/off. It sounds like this gives you a very large amount of control at the expense of it being super complicated. It sounds like you either have to spend a lot of time learning/tweaking, or trust the guys on there have done their homework and the tunes they post won't blow up your engine.

I thought I'd post on it since a bunch of people have been asking about it.
Has anybody here used an HPTuner?

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking around trying to find a tuner that would allow you to control the V4/V8 mode to improve fuel economy.

Ya may wanna try to contact Ed Gomez @ Mongillo Motors in CT. I realize you're not local to him, but he is a wiz with HP Tuners and he has a Chassis Dyno also to make before and after comparisons. I swear by him as he did a lot of work on my '05 GTO which helped propel it into the mid 11's naturally aspirated. He will spend the time with you on the phone to explain everything. You can use my screen name as a referral if you want to. He will know who I am.
http://www.mongillomotors.com/

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP Tuners is not that difficult to use IF you are computer literate and will take the time to learn it. There are a lot of good tuning resources. I used it to tune my 04 GTO and am planning on using it when I pick up my 03 Tahoe in a few weeks. Be advised you will need a wideband O2 sensor and controller to get the most benefit out of it. I think the total for HP tuners and the wideband was about $900. Of course this assumes you have a laptop as well. You may be better off to take it to a tuner and explain that you'd like an optimization tune for mileage.

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I could figure it out being a programmer by trade, however the chances of not making any mistakes seems slim. I'm just not willing to take that risk at this point. Maybe after I pay it off ;)

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
S

scott_mckinney

I also have a local pro for HPTuners, Severin Fisher @ House of Horsepower, 219-465-1805... You can call him with any questions.