Illuminating the Rear Lock/Unlock Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sideburnz

Reaction score
Let me apologize right here from the beginning! I know just about enough about car wiring and electronics to be a danger!

I am working on a 1999 Chevy Tahoe 2DR 2WD! What I am attempting to do is illuminate the power lock/unlock switch located on the right rear C-pillar by using a rear power window switch from a 4DR Tahoe. So far it has been a walk in the park. Plugged in the 4DR switch, it worked to lock/unlock both doors, switched the rocker over to the one with the lock/unlock logo and everything worked perfectly.

The part that I am confused on is how to setup the illumination part of the project. I know on the 4DR switch that pin C is (+) positive and pin G is (-) negative, simple enough. How to run the wiring is where I’m questioning how it should be done. I want the switch to light when the dome lights are on (such as when I unlock the vehicle with keyless entry.) but I would also like the switch to light up when the headlights are on! I know I need to patch into the rear dome light (orange wire) and the wire that turns on the righthand taillight (unsure of wire color!)

I am thinking is that I need to place a diode in the wire running from the dome light so that the system won’t back feed when I turn on the headlights/taillights switch? The light I will be using in the illuminate widow/unlock switch is a “NEOx LED Bulb - High Power Instrument Panel LED - 3mm NEO3-xHP Blue.” If I am correct in thinking that I should use a diode I am completely confused about what diode to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You!