instrument cluster problems, RPM, Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royalknight

Reaction score
I have a 05 tahoe, oil gauge started reading incorrectly, worked but wrong pressure. Rpm gauge stared doing the same shortly after the oil pressure issue. oil pressure finally quit all together. changed the pressure sending unit still no good. i believe the next step is to change the BCM? i hate to spend the money if there are some things i can check first. will the BCM fix the rpm and oil pressure issues? any thoughts??

Donut Slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the stepper motors in the gauge cluster that has went bad. Very common problem. There are several places online that can fix them. It requires the cluster to be rebuilt. The new stepper motors will fix the problem. Just google GM instrument cluster rebuilds. Expect to pay around $200 or so.

Magic City Bowtie

Reaction score
It's definitely the stepper motors. My 04 'Hoe just turned 110k miles and the speedo starts to lag every 5th start-up. Known problem with GM trucks from 02-08. If you have less than 70k miles the dealer will do it for you for free, "allegedly". Steppers replaced yourself will be less than $50 if you have the right materials. New gauge cluster is in the high $100s and will require upwards of $300 extra that will be returned when you return your original cluster. The new cluster will need to be programmed with mileage and vin. Then upon receipt and replacement, the old non-functional cluster will be returned for refurbishment. Thus the return of your extra $300. Plenty of how-tos on this site. Best of luck.

royalknight

Reaction score
yep it was the stepper motors. i ordered the stepper motor kit with the new blue LED's off of ebay for $30.00. installed it and looks and works like new. thanks for everyones input.

ZombCJ

Reaction score
stepper motor

yep it was the stepper motors. i ordered the stepper motor kit with the new blue LED's off of ebay for $30.00. installed it and looks and works like new. thanks for everyones input.

I'm having the same problem with the oil pressure gauge on my 06 Hoe. How hard was the install? Do you have any advice on doing it yourself? Any pics, or can you do a write up? Any info would be helpful!

royalknight

Reaction score
Stepper motor/LED's replacement 05 Tahoe

Not difficult at all if you have some mechanical and soldering skills. sorry i did not take any pics.

Disassemble: now let me try to remember how to do this: Do i need to go through the instrument cluster removal? once the cluster is out of the Tahoe, place it face down on the a towel (i did the work on the kitchen bar, good lighting). you will need a couple jeweler common screw drivers and/or scribes, a soldering iron, solder, flux and a solder sucker (to remove the solder from the old stepper motors). gently use the jeweler screw drivers to bend back the plastic tabs (4). then the guts will come away from the outer clear face. if memory serves, you will then have to remove the needles by gently prying them off. i used a 90 degree common screw driver with a tongue depressor under it (against the gauge face) and pried at the stepper motor shaft, they should pop off with just a little force. Now you can remove the circuit board from the face plate by again using the screw drivers to bend back the plastic tabs until the circuit board comes free.

now the fun begins, the stepper motors have four solder joints. you need to heat up each joint and remove the solder from it (use the solder sucker or if you don't have one you can use compressed air to blow the solder it away, careful where it goes it will be hot), could also use a shop vac with a very small tip. after you have removed the solder from all four joints the stepper motor can be removed. if it gives you resistance go back and check that all of the solder is removed, you don't want to break the circuit board!

Stepper motors: position the new stepper motor in the same configuration as the one removed. put a small amount of flux on the pins protruding through the circuit board. heat the pin and add a small amount of solder until it flows around the pin. do this for all four joints. then repeat for the remaining five stepper motors.

LED's: replacing the lights is a little trickier to explain: the original lights are soldered at two points (opposite corners)directly to the circuit board, no pins protruding. so you will have to de-solder the the joints and remove the old light. the new light have two wires (legs), bend them at 90 degrees in opposite directions. again lightly flux the legs and solder them to the spots where the old lights were.

here is the tricky part. the new LED's are directional specific, meaning they will not work if installed backwards. there is no reference (that i could find)for what way to install them, i found this out the hard way. you will need to plug the instrument cluster back into the car and check the light before you put the cluster back together. swap around any lights that do not work.

Reassembly: clean up any flux around the solder joints with Flux remover or rubbing alcohol. flux does a great job of cleaning the joint and making the solder flow, but it can be corrosive if left on the board. put the gauge face and circuit board back together, you may have to re position the new LED's (bend them at angles, they are taller than the old lights) so they clear the "clear plastic" on the gauge face piece. now put the needles back on the stepper motors, you do not need to be perfect on lining them up at their lowest indications, when you turn you vehicle on the gauges calibrate themselves automatically. i put them about in their "zero" positions. press on the center of the needles, you will feel them slide in as you increase pressure. when you do this put your hand on the back of each stepper motor to support it (don't want to break the solder joints or circuit board).

I would temp install the cluster minus the outer plastic face and check everything out before final assembly.

One note on the LED's: because they are taller they are closer to the gauge face plate. so there are areas on the gauges (except RPM) that are brighter than the rest. i did not like this and experimented on re-positioning the LED's several times but i could not fix this. now i just turn down the brightness on the instrument lights and it is less noticeable.

hope this helps let me know if i can add anything else......or if this is overkill:rolleyes:

ZombCJ

Reaction score
Wow, Thanks!!! That's a lot of info but it's great the way you explained it. Not sure if I want to tackle this one or just live with it! But if I try I will definitely keep this thread marked for a reference.

royalknight

Reaction score
Mine started with the oil gauge then progressed to the rpm, i let it go till the rpm totally quit (about a year). sounds like they all start failing around the same age/hours. the new stepper motors are suppose top be improved and last longer, we will see. i may have made it sound more difficult than it is....

"Donut Slayer" gave me some info on a place on the net that you can send your cluster to and they will fix it and send it back. good luck.

bigboykilroy

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember getting a letter from GM saying that they would fix/replace clusters if they exhibit the failures described in this thread.
I believe it started with the 2004 to 2006 clusters and is only good for 7 years or 70,000k miles. Ill look in my records to see if I still have the letter. But mine went bad and I sent it out and had it repaired and the trans temp added.

royalknight

Reaction score
I think you are right, i heard this from another source as well. however i exceeded both of these limits prior to experiencing the cluster problems:(

roycet4

Reaction score
If you can use a soldering iron then you can fit it.

I did the gauge stepper motors and light bulbs on my son's 2004 Tahoe, if you can use a soldering iron, then you can fix the gauge cluster for $30 in parts. There are plenty of video's on youtube showing step by step how to remove the cluster and repair it.

kevin_n

Reaction score
I just had this problem happen to me with the tach. I watched a video on you tube about taking the cluster apart didn't show removing solder to get the stepper motor out. I have a 03 and don't want to spend the money or time to send it out to be fixed. Just nervous about getting the old motor out with out doing damage. How hard was this to do

WarrenH

Reaction score
What if its not the stepper motors. Just changed mine no cigars! What else could it be?

SgtDuckyboy

Reaction score
great post, thanks for info.. I love DIY and always research before I do something new. This is all i need to do it! except now to find the parts!

justinkasey

Reaction score
97 tahoe temp Gauge not working

Hello All!

I have a 97 tahoe 4x4 350 vortex and the temp Gauge only rises 1 tick above 100 when driving. I replaced the temp sensor on the front of the motor, I changed the temp sending unit sensor on the side of the motor ..twice. I ran a lead wire ,to the female connector that the side sensor connects to on the back of the engine, to the negative side of the battery and the gauge jumps to 260. HEEELLLLLPP. What the hell is my issue. Truck has 296,xxx miles on it with the original gauge .