Interior Water Leak!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever it rains i get a puddle of rain water in the passenger side floor board. i've tried to track down where its coming from without any luck other than its coming from up behind the dash. its usually enough to fill up part of the floor mat and soak the carpet beside the kick panel.

it isn't coolant, just rain water. anyone else have this problem?

could it be a bad seal on the windshield?

fyremanpat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try taking off the wiper cowl and look inside. Sometimes debris can clog the drain up and cause water to leak in from vents on the firewall. I have seen this on my HOE but have on other vehicles.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn.... thats not what i was wanting to hear... not sure when its gonna get warm enough to seal anything up either...

i have the floor mat rigged up to where it drains on it and then to the door seal... but the carpet is still getting wet.

thanks for the links! looks like i have a spring project as well...

bowtiefreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also try parking the truck on a hill with the drivers door facing down. Doesn't have to be be a big hill or slant but it helps...if the option is out there. That can buy you some time until it gets warm. Look at it like this...soon it won't be raining much and snow never gets in mine.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah well soon enough (hopefully) it'll fit in the new garage and i won't have to worry about it other than at work. :) the more i thought about it the plastic thing under the wipers is actually broke. its dark out now but i wonder if that screw is even there ( the one the leads inside the interior.

bigblackhoe98

Reaction score
I realize this is an old post, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I've had the same problem with my '98 since I bought it. When I first noticed it, it was just wet under my front passenger floor mat. Then it seemed as though the location of the leak changed because the water started puddling up on top of my rubber mat. I popped the hood and realized 2 screws were missing from the plastic wiper cowl so I replaced the screws and siliconed them. This seemed to work for several months and I had no leak...until....

it snowed about 8 inches here the other day (not common here in MS) and I guess as it melted it ran into the truck more than ever!!! I was parked on an up slope and lots of water ran all the way under the back seat. I had to soak the puddle up with a towel and still trying to let it air out. I popped the hood again and realized that there were 2 more screws missing that I didnt see before. I've replaced and siliconed again and I'll know if it solved the problem the next time it rains..or snows.

These screws were obviously left out by the people that replaced the windshield. Anyone with this leak should check to make sure their screws aren't missing.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
still haven't had a chance to even start to deal with mine yet. the hoe has so much ice caked onto it from these past 3 "ice" storms we've had there would be no way to even get the screws into the holes....

but then again its iced over and not leaking... :)

another big thing i found is they tend to leak around the top of the windshield at a body seam that rusts out over time and lets water in.

mtyler7807

Reaction score
I have the same problem. thought it was the heater coil. thanks for this post.