Intermittent starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtieguy

Reaction score
:help: okay here is my issue. I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 loaded with the 5.3 Vortec V8. I bought the truck used with about a hundred and fifty thousand miles on it and it is in Immaculate condition. As a matter of fact the third row seats still had the plastic wrap on them from the dealership. I love this truck it runs great very dependable except after about 2 months of owning it I went out one morning to start it and all the dash lights came on the truck did it's self check. I can hear the fuel pump spooling up. everything acted as normal until I turn the key. Upon turning the key the starter did not engage nor did I hear the solenoid. All the lights and everything still working fine the only issue that I saw was no starterrors action . after about four or five tries it started right up without any hesitation. It did not do this again for a few months and then again on one hot Texas afternoon as I was getting off work the same thing happened. This time it did not start for about 10 minutes and then just as if nothing was wrong it started up just fine. This issue has been going on now for over a year. Sometimes it starts just fine, and sometimes it takes a few tries, and sometimes it will not start for hours. This is some type of gremlin because every time I have taken it to the shop no mechanic can replicate the issue. I even had it towed there once after it would not start and as soon as the driver unloaded the truck it started up just fine. it would not replicate the issue for the mechanic. I have just recently took it to the dealership and left it with them for 5 days suggesting all kinds of scenarios to help them replicate the issue after 5 days they could not find a way to make the truck not start. The last time I had the starting problem before I took it to the dealership after 15 minutes of trying to start it I called for Triple-A and as soon as I hung up it started. I have seen on other forms where people have the same issue as me and I have not searched this forum thoroughly to find out if there are people on here that have the same issue so I am writing a post to see if anybody can chime in. Here's what I have done. Replace the starter replace the battery checked all grounds and connections swapped out relays checked neutral safety switch and physically move the truck. I was a mechanic for years so I am knowledgeable of troubleshooting Automotive issues however this one has me stumped along with top ASE certified mechanics at the dealership. The only thing that I can think of at this point is when I had this issue the very last time, my message center told me the battery on my key fob was low. It would still lock and unlock the doors, but only at about two or three feet from the vehicle. I replace the battery in the key fob just before taking it to the dealer. Although I do not think this would be an issue since I have had the truck for 4 years and only change the battery out one time when I replace the case for the key fob. This starting issues seem to happen even after changing out the battery. Again any hope or help and solving this issue would be greatly appreciated and I will buy somebody a steak dinner if they can help me figure this out.

bobby6

Reaction score
sounds somewhat familiar.

It sounds a little like a problem I had w/a 98 Monte Carlo. I changed everything over a period of 4 yrs, and finally, an electric guy told me about this security feature (which I wasn't even aware I had. Question: Does your ignition key have a chip in it? It will be a tiny black thing w/to metal blades sticking out of it at the top of the key shaft. If it does, and if the resistor in the key itself is worn out, you need a new key. If it is worn out, occasionally it will send an error signal to the computer, telling the starter not to work for 4 minutes - then, it'll work fine.

Not sure if this is helpful, but this thing plagued me for almost 5 yrs - and all it was, was the $35 dollar key.

Good luck