Is the SUV dead?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by LAP TOP GAMER, Apr 22, 2008.

1. LAP TOP GAMER

LAP TOP GAMER Full Access Member

flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
    I gotta wonder watching the news lately and gas over $4 a gallon with no end in sight, oil is near $120 a barrel, auto manufactures are turning to small cars so it sounds like the large SUV will become extinct if these trends continue. Don't look for deals on Hybrids as they are selling and expensive, the Tahoe Hybrid sells for 50K!:eek: I love my Tahoe, but with insane gas prices I have cut back on driving as gas is killing us, we spend almost $600 a month just in gas and most of it is my wife just driving to work. I hope the powers that be realize that they are killing this economy as we personally now avoid malls and restaurants eat at home now, yeah it is starting to hurt. If gas hits $6 a gallon, then I gotta pull out the Bicycle I guess. The problem is our weak dollar and countries like China demanding more gas. we need to make Ethanol from switch grass or something else. I don't see why we aren't exploring for more oil here in the U.S as well. The price of gas and food is starting to get ridicules.

2. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder Full Access Member

thankfully there are ares like here that are still low (OMG i think LOW is below 315 a gallon, look their changeing us) anyway i paid 312 today.

but if gas does get over 5 dollars a gallon here, i will sell my building and put all the stuff at my house, and work from home. only going out when i need to or want to take the boat out.

3. EasyRyder

EasyRyder Full Access Member

im pulling out the bike pretty soon here too.

good thing i only live about 3 miles from work.

4. Rollin Thunder

im not to worried as i have a 98 cadillac deville with a 300 HP NorthStar v-8 that gets 28 MPG. no mods what so ever. :cool2:

5. LAP TOP GAMER

Wow the caddi gets 28MPG!, that's pretty cool.
    I have definitely started slowing down in my driving, no more pretending this thing is a Corvette.

6. Rollin Thunder

i get about 27 highway in the vette, but i dont go on the highway much with it. so im stuck with 13-15 MPG. onetime i even got 9MPG. :D

no but the problem is the caddy is such a clunker nobody could or would daily drive it. atleast is a big tank that would hold up in an accident.

here is a pic from today. i drove it today just to run it. had a bunch of around town driving. i mean ALOOT. all stop and go lights.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2008
  7. LAP TOP GAMER

Yeah but I see it needs premium, that could be expensive.

8. 96ProCompTahoe

96ProCompTahoe Full Access Member

if it comes down to it i'll buy a motorcycle to ride whenever possible...

the 9.5 MPG in my hoe is kicking my ass with gas just hitting $3.69.... and the camaro isn't much better with it well overdue for a tuneup and me driving it like a race car...

9. ugachs24

ugachs24 Full Access Member

These prices are starting to scare me, I paid $3.79 today. I get reimbursed $800 a month for gas from work but that doesn't cover the half of it these days. I don't know what we're going to do, you can't hand these things away right now.

10. JKmotorsports

JKmotorsports tahoeyukonforum.com

It's getting scary and doesn't look like the rising costs are going to slow down anytime soon. I spend almost $200/wk in gas in my Tahoe alone, plus whatever gas my wife puts into her car to commute to and from her job. We decided against buying another full-size suv for her strictly because of the spiking gas prices.

11. LAP TOP GAMER

I wish there were Ethanol stations near me as it is getting to where it might be doable with gas over $4.00 a gallon and it will get a lot higher, I have started keeping my foot out of the gas tank lately, and for the moron tailgating me to get me to speed up, unless you paying my gas bill shut up. Cost co even limits you on how much rice you can buy, so it is effecting food prices too.

12. Rollin Thunder

well lets do the math.

my yukon has a 31 gallon tank. according to the DIC im getting 15 mpg (its really 14.8, but im rounding for ease)

regular today was 312 a gallon, i always fill when the light comes on. so say 30 gallons a fill

thats 93.60 ( no tax) to fill up the kon at 15 MPG that gets me about 420 miles (if i constantly get 15 MPG, some times its lower sometimes its higher, so lets say a max of 390) i travel about 500 miles a week)

the cadi takes premium, which at WAWA today was 3.32 and the cadi has a 18 gallon tank so lets do that math.

about 60 to fill up, plus a range of about 450 miles.

so actully its still much cheaper to fill the cadillac with premium. :thumbsup:

13. Hoebag03

Hoebag03 Full Access Member

im actually lookin to trade in the hoe for a civic. yea i know, blasphamy! but at 36 HW i fvckin need it!

14. Rollin Thunder

dont trade it, just park it and rent a v-4 car. :thumbsup:

15. Hoebag03

Hoebag03 Full Access Member

not all of us have your cash flow RT! i got 2 kiddos to feed! rent a car, this fvckin guy here.....:lol:

16. Rollin Thunder

but your gunna have to do alot of driving to make up for the extra cost at tradeing. :thumbsup:

17. itcantbestephen

itcantbestephen New Member

Yeah, I've actually been considering maybe buying a motorcycle myself. Beats the hell out of carpooling :thumbsup:

18. LAP TOP GAMER

Yeah but you have no protection at all.

19. Rollin Thunder

all you guys need to do is buy a cadillac. i mean 28MPG with a v-8. i mean really, its just that simple. :yesnod:

20. JAGastrock

JAGastrock Full Access Member

I think you have an anomoly. My grandmother has a 99 deville and that sucker gets about 17-18 in town.