Is the Tahoe a good family car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbyg123

Reaction score
Hey guys. My wife and I had twin boys 8 months ago and I'm investigating our options for a family car/truck/van this Spring 2007. The minivan is probably the most "practical" choice out there right now, but I don't personally like them. Here are my questions:

1) Is the Tahoe refined enough that my wife could live with it as a daily driver?

2) The ability to carry 6-8 people is important to us (occasionally), but so is cargo room. The ONLY thing I like better about the Expedition are the fold flat seats. Are the seats in the Tahoe somewhat easy to remove? Also, when the 3rd row is folded, how much cargo space is there? Pics would be great.

3) We're a pretty short and fit family, so I would think that 3rd row comfort would be OK. How do you guys rate it? I'm the biggest person in our family at a whopping 5'9 185lbs. LOL

4) The biggest reason why I'm leaning towards a large SUV as opposed to a minivan is because I want to "future proof" the purchase and allow us to potentially buy a boat or a small RV down the line. How do you think the 4x4 Tahoe will perform in real world towing?

5) Perhaps more important than anything else, how does the Tahoe work with Children? Does the interior look like it can withstand kid beatings? Is the vehicle comparible to a minivan as far as extended trip comfort is concerned?

6) Lastly, the 4-sp transmission seems (on paper) to be dated when compared to the 6-sp options elsewhere. How smooth is the shifting and do you see a 6-sp option being added to the lineup in 2008?

Thanks in advance guys. I don't expect you to answer all of these questions, but your input is greatly appreciated. It's 12:30AM and I'm in between midnight twin feedings so I apologize for the long winded message. :eek:

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! In a word, yes. The Tahoe is very capable. I have 3 kids and they give the truck a beating daily. Not only is it agile and powerful, but it is constructed thoughtfully and is roomy as hell! I would recommend going to a dealership and checking one out. I have owned all three generations and I will buy a fourth as well. As far as the MPG's, it is acceptable for a big ass SUV. Cheers!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
I drive mine mostly in town and I notice how big it is compared to most SUV's and I love the room, as I can put a bike trailer and my mountain mike inside the Tahoe(haven't got a bike rack yet) and it all fits! I find more to love about this every day!
I hope the GMT 900 body style stays around for a while as it is great!

doo600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Yes, it is a perfect daily driver.
2. Cargo room with the 3rd in place is virtually none. I fold the seats up and there is decent room. I have not yet taken my seats out but I imagine it would be quite roomy. I have also heard these seats are kinda heavy. It would be better with seats that fold flat.
3. 3rd row is great for my 9 year old twins. Adults would be uncomfortable in the third row due to no footwell. The suburban does have the footwell so it's better suited for adults. The boys love it though.
4. My 4x4 Tahoe tows everything. It is rock solid and does just as good of a job as my 97 Suburban. 4 Place snowmobile trialer tows well.
5. The Tahoe I bought has black interior. My wife's minivan has a grey interior and the kids trash it. Her seats have a few stains. My Tahoe Leather seats wipe clean easily and the black always looks clean. The remote control for the DVD, the DVD itself are better quality than the minivan. My twin 9 year olds and my 4 year old have not destroyed it yet. Of course the 4 year old did puke in it the 1st week I had it. That was a great carpet cleaning cost.
6. Transmission functions flawlessly. No problems. Don't know about a 6 speed coming.

Comments. I am very happy with this truck It is elegant and has great features. The folding mirrors are great when parking in a lot. The backup camera and backup assist have saved me more than once. The Navigation is cool and the vehicle looks great from the outside feels comfortable. It's just a blast to drive. The seats not folding is annoying but you get used to it. The built in remote start is great (didn't have to buy it seperate), the power tailgate I wasn't a fan of on my wifes but my trucks works great. 4 Wheel drive is great and when it snows It'll be great. Best vehicle I've bought.

111590.jpg

118589.jpg

118590.jpg

118591.jpg

Last edited:

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tahoe as a family vehicle

I really can't help you much on the family issue. My 2007 LTZ 4x4 gts used pretty much to haul two people and two dogs. I do not like the seating configuration on the new Tahoe as much as I did on my 2002. The seats in the 2002 folded pretty much flat from the back to just behind the front seats (I removed the third row seats the first day I owned the truck and put them back in the day I sold it). The 2007 doesn't work the same way. I removed the third row seats - storage is very limited if you leave them in. If you fold both middle row seats the floor is still not flat and the folded seats take up quite a bit of room. I don't believe the folded seats in the second row can be easily removed.

I have never pulled a trailer with the 2007 yet but I did quite often with the 2002. If you buy a Tahoe and plan on pulling a trailer MAKE SURE you get the 4.10 axle ratio. With the 3.73 gears in my 2007 I find it necessary to downshift when climbing any kind of hill - without the trailer. Both of my Tahoes have been 4 wheel drive. It may be different with the two wheel drive models. I am kicking myself for not getting the lower gearing but I couldn't find a vehicle with the options I wanted that had the 4.10 gears locally and I didn't want to order one.

The Tahoe is a very comfortable riding car. Everyone that rides in mine love it. The seats are also comfortable. If you have kids they will love the rear DVD player. I'v ehad no complaints from the dogs either!

jamescl

Reaction score
In a word yes

I agree with the dislike for minivans. I don't think much of the look, interiors are usuallu decent though. Given the option I would always lean to Chevy Tahoe or Suburban. You get lots of room, nice looking ride and loads of power.

I would agree with pretty much else. The Tahoe is a great truck. I have a 99 Tahoe and it is still running strong. Great room and decent MPG for the size. Mine only has two rows, so I can't really speak to the 3rd row much. I like the new body style though.

I agree with you that fold flat seats would be a good option. Not sure why Chevy has not gone this way yet, seems like everyone else has. With split seats on the third row I would imagine they might be reasonably heavy but not unmanageable.

If you want the cargo and the three rows, it's hard to beat the Suburban.

I have two kids and they have not torn the car up. I have leather seats and like the other poster, messes clean up nicely.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
"I agree with you that fold flat seats would be a good option. Not sure why Chevy has not gone this way yet, seems like everyone else has. With split seats on the third row I would imagine they might be reasonably heavy but not unmanageable."
I was told by a Chevy engineer that ride would suffer as smaller suspension components would be needed to accommodate truly foldable seats and fold flat seats just are not comfortable.

AZ_Tahoe

Reaction score
I'm going to buy the 08 model when they come out. I have been reading on the 6 speed transmission for a few months now. I think it might come out in Spring 2007 I'm not 100% sure. I have two kids 4yr boy and 12yr girl and trust me this Truck is worth the money. The 3rd row seat sold my wife when we were test drive one in Sept 06".

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd row flat seats aren't avaliable because the GMT900's don't have IRS suspension.