Just a few maintainence questions..2000 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright well ive been having problems with the truck starting on the first try and really bad gas milage..i finally got a chance to look at it tonight..

I replaced the fuel filter..it was so clogged i couldnt hardly blow air through it..i pulled a few plugs..they are Bosch platinum's with 4 electrodes..they were whiteish so they didnt look like they needed to be replaced and at least they had been done once before

1. The FPR pours gas out of the vaccuum hose when i pull it off..im guessing its toast..this would explain my hard starts im hoping and some of the bad MPG since extra gas is going places it shouldnt..there goes $65 bucks

2. The throtle body is pretty damn black..all around the edges of the throttle blade are black as well as the main part of the TB that is around that..i didnt have any cleaner but thats on my list..

3. Air filter is almost too clean.its just a K & N drop in..i cleaned it back at the end of september..ive put about 15k on the truck since then and its as clean as the day i cleaned it..good or bad?

4. I noticed that the shocks in back are huge..are they the expensive ones to replace? there about a soda can thick..when i leave driveways or hit a big bump the rear drivers side thumps..any ideas?

5. Any other ideas? The tranny flhuid is a nice redish color and doesnt smell burnt..everythign else seems in pretty good order..i pulled the brake booster hose off 15 minutes after i shut it off and there was still vaccuum so thats a good sign..I filled the tires to 60 psi..there max is 80..i was ridin on 35 psi so that couldnt help the mpg..any other tricks to these motors? the MAF is new and clean as well..AC Delco

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont know if I can help too much but my air filter is the same way. I will dirve on some dirt roads and check and it will be like I just put it in. As for number 4, do you have the autoride? I do and I know my shocks are pretty thick. If you do and they are hitting bottom your pump may have gone out. Hopefully some people can help with the others!

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
IIRC 2002 was the last model year for the in cabin air filter. If you want to check, loosen about 8 7mm screws on the lower dash closest to the floor. Once you have that removed, remove the 7mm screws that attach the door that houses the cabin air filters.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
Or you can just call an auto parts store and see if one is listed for your model year truck.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just put the new FPR on..very easy to do..just pop the c clip off and it comes right off..pull the old diaphram out and then stick the new FPR back in..getting the clip back on is a pain..i took a vice grips and squeezed on the fpr and the fuel rail to pull it in tight..then got the clip on..

starts instantly now..im so pumped..ive been dealing with the rough starts since i got the thing..64.99 later its good to go..

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fuel pressure regulator. I'd get some fresh plugs in there too the bosch suck balls. Replace the rear shocks when you do the drop.