Just SeaFoamed the Hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bunkleman21

Reaction score
ok; so is there a chance of hurting the vehicle with this stuff or is there only an upside? I am going to do my hoe no matter what but my question is in regards to my dads '94 Silverado with 272k on it. It runs good but you can tell it is getting a little tired. It has never been Seafoamed before and he would like it to last another 14 years. Should I give it a try? It has worked so well for so long that I am worried that doing something to it will make it go kaput. Any opinions?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok; so is there a chance of hurting the vehicle with this stuff or is there only an upside? I am going to do my hoe no matter what but my question is in regards to my dads '94 Silverado with 272k on it. It runs good but you can tell it is getting a little tired. It has never been Seafoamed before and he would like it to last another 14 years. Should I give it a try? It has worked so well for so long that I am worried that doing something to it will make it go kaput. Any opinions?

That should be a smoker!...lol Vids man vids!

I don't think it could hurt. Maybe it will clean some seals too good or something like that...lol

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just let the engine "sip" it in. Don't suck it all in at once.

chaileyk5

Reaction score
Got some questions.

I've got a 2000 hoe with 118k miles on it, just got it about a month ago. I'm pretty sure its got the original plugs and wires on it. I'm not due for another oil change for another 2k or so, but I'm making a trip to Charlotte this weekend (probably about 700 miles round trip).

Should I go ahead and put a can in before I go, or wait till I get a little closer to the oil change?

Caddis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah, do the intake or add a can to a full tank of gas, or both...now. Use it in the crankcase before your next oil change

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got some questions.

I've got a 2000 hoe with 118k miles on it, just got it about a month ago. I'm pretty sure its got the original plugs and wires on it. I'm not due for another oil change for another 2k or so, but I'm making a trip to Charlotte this weekend (probably about 700 miles round trip).

Should I go ahead and put a can in before I go, or wait till I get a little closer to the oil change?

I would be swapping out those wires and plugs first they are only good for a 100k if they are the original ..might do the engine some good :)
you can sea foam the hoe anytime ... some people do it around the time they do an oil change.

Val0412

Reaction score
Ok, just did the seafoam thing (Used the vacuum hose, poured some into the oil filler and the tank) That stuff is pretty cool. LOOOOTs of smoke...

I also used some throttle body cleaner and some MAF cleaner. New plugs and my Tahoe runs great... Except for one little thing... The "Check Engine" light... I pulled the MAF off the Tahoe to clean it and let it dry. Well, My Dumb A$$ went ahead and started the truck without the MAF installed and now my girl is letting me know that wasn't so smart. Is there a secret way to clear that myself... You know, Touch my nose with the index finger of my left hand while holding my right arm straight out palm facing up. With one foot on the ground and my socks on backwards?????

Or will I have to go to autozone and ask them to clear it for me?

Thanks!

bunkleman21

Reaction score
Autozone wont clear codes they will only read them. What they did do for me is sell me a code reader/clearer for $155 but it is a loaner. they sell you the product to clear your code then you return it for a full refund. This is their loophole as I believe it is illegal for them to clear a code.

Val0412

Reaction score
Autozone wont clear codes they will only read them. What they did do for me is sell me a code reader/clearer for $155 but it is a loaner. they sell you the product to clear your code then you return it for a full refund. This is their loophole as I believe it is illegal for them to clear a code.

Thanks! I called them and asked if they could do it. They told me the same thin you just did.

But the good news is it cleared itself. I called a friend and he reminded me that I could just diconnect the battery for about 15 mins and the computer would reboot. Duh! I had forgotten that one... Good news is she's running better and no idiot light.

Thanks for the quick response!

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done it yet, but have read A LOT about it. You are supposed to thoroughly warm up the engine. Sip 1/3-1/2 can in through the hose. Turn the car off if it hasn't died already. Let sit for 10 minutes. Start car again, piss off ALL neighbors. Drive in the higher RPM range until smoke clears. THEN CHANGE OIL!!. It's a solvent not a lubricant, I would get it out immediately.

Val0412

Reaction score
after foaming, is it best to change the oil?

I'd say yes. But the seafoam instructions don't mention changing the oil... But I'm gonna. Just in case any of the loose gunk settles in the oil pan/filter.

I haven't done it yet, but have read A LOT about it. You are supposed to thoroughly warm up the engine. Sip 1/3-1/2 can in through the hose. Turn the car off if it hasn't died already. Let sit for 10 minutes. Start car again, piss off ALL neighbors. Drive in the higher RPM range until smoke clears. THEN CHANGE OIL!!. It's a solvent not a lubricant, I would get it out immediately.

And you can add it directly to the oil and gas. I agree, if you do all that at the same time, you should change the oil after a few days of driving.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go so far as to say that you have to get it out immediately, per se...if it were really that bad for your oil/engine, I don't think they would suggest you put it in the crankcase at all. You want to give the product time to do its job in there and clean things out, however, I also wouldn't suggest that you leave it in there for a full oil change interval, either. I'd say no longer than a week or a couple hundred miles, whatever occurs first. That's just me though.

I used a little less than half a can through my PCV line, and dumped the remainder into the crankcase. I'll drive it around until next week, then change the oil. I might go as far as dropping the pan to see what kind of gunk it loosened up. Not sure if I'll have time to go that far, but I'd like to.

As always, YMMV. I'll let you guys know if I find anything worth noting in the bottom of the pan, if I get to that point.

RIDE N FLY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sea foamed the hoe. no smoke, no poof no nothing. :sad: thought i would have had a little someting.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...what vaccum line did you use, and how long did you let it sit in the block before driving it? How long did you drive it for? You've got an '05 so it's not THAT old, but I'm sure there was still some gunk that could have been loosened up...

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know man, mine smoked like a red necked BBQ, smoked sooooo bad I couldn't even see my next door neighbors house for a solid minute (they were pissed as well as I failed to notice that their windows were opened!!):D Anyways, it took me about 15 seconds for the motor to suck down half of a bottle (gotta do it quick without killing the motor) and then I immediatey shut off the motor for 10 minutes, fired it up and it smoked like a hoopty!! I think I am gonna do it again next weekend, can't hurt things!!