LATCH...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, most people with kids knows what LATCH is. It's the cool little anchor points in the rear seats for car seats. Most vehicles 2001+ have LATCH. So, my '03 has LATCH on the 2nd row passenger and middle seat, but not the driver side seat. Does anyone know why that is and if it's available to be installed?

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Interesting...I have it in both my captains seats.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...I have it in both my captains seats.

Sorry, should have been more clear... bench seat. :thumbsup:

I kinda wish we would have gotten captain's chairs, but I'm glad we didn't get leather (AZ summers suck with leather...)

Both the '05 and '03 we looked at had the same thing... we're about to have another kid... and have the one on the driver's side right now with just the seatbelt, but we both feel better having LATCH...

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah totally understood your post, just saying that I have it on the seat right behind the drivers, so not sure of why you wouldnt on yours.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah totally understood your post, just saying that I have it on the seat right behind the drivers, so not sure of why you wouldnt on yours.

Ah, I thought you were rubbing it in that you have Captain's, but I didn't. :gy:

It just doesn't make sense... they just... don't have 'em...

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kind of like that on our '07 Yukon XL except with the tether anchors in the third row. They only put two anchors and the owner's manual says you can put the child seat either in the center or on the side but not have both connected to same anchor. It would have simply made more sense to put 3 anchors there for the three seats.

I doesn't make sense not to have LATCH available on both the passenger and driver sides.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doesn't make sense not to have LATCH available on both the passenger and driver sides.

That's what I'm saying... why have it on passenger side and not driver side? I wasn't planning on having the seats in the center AND side... but I would love to have one on each side (that way I don't have to mess with 3rd row yet)

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new style Tahoes don't have them either. A post on chevroletforum.com had this as the reason......

If you have the bench seat then you get top anchors at all three seating positions but lower anchors at only the center and passenger side seat, the center row buckets have lower and top anchors in each seat.
The front passenger seat and 3rd row seating have no LATCH anchors because it simply is not safe to have small children in these positions.

The reason for the lack of lower anchors directly behind the driver seat is safety, the seat is a 60/40 design with the larger part being towards the driver side, in high speed crash tests with two child seats attached via the LATCH system to this portion of the seat the loads can be so great that the seat frame can fail.
If you must use the seat directly behind the driver use a top tether and the seatbelt shoulder harness to attach it and if done correctly it is safe and will distribute crash impact G forces in a manner that will not cause the seat frame and attachment points to fail. The 2nd row center position is by far the safest place to put a single child.

tac53lpd

Reaction score
The center is definetly the safest place. We just installed the car seat base in our 05 Yukon. We wanted it in the middle anyway. During a side impact crash it puts the child further away from the impact point. I am a police officer and work on the traffic unit. I have seen a couple of crashes where someone would have been killed had they been sitting in the passenger seat. The door panel was nearly touching the center console.

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to say safety first but you beat me.. also, the little rope u pull to lift the seat is located in that position.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting coversation... my Honda CR-V had 60/40 with all 3 seats available via LATCH. My Isuzu Rodeo had it as well, I believe. Maybe because the Tahoe is wider?

Stargazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the center position is safest but please don't make parents like me with 5 kids feel bad because there are only 2 center seats available and we end up having to choose who to sacrifice first! :eek2:

;)

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the center position is safest but please don't make parents like me with 5 kids feel bad because there are only 2 center seats available and we end up having to choose who to sacrifice first! :eek2:

;)

Ah, don't feel bad... I have 1 kid and I keep her on the side... it's easier... when I have 2 kids... I'll have one on each side... it's just the way it is.... the SAFEST place is middle center... however that doesn't mean that the other positions aren't safe... if someone hits you from the passenger-side, the safest place would be the driver's side...

oomindwarpoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, don't feel bad... I have 1 kid and I keep her on the side... it's easier... when I have 2 kids... I'll have one on each side... it's just the way it is.... the SAFEST place is middle center... however that doesn't mean that the other positions aren't safe... if someone hits you from the passenger-side, the safest place would be the driver's side...

I remember watching some safety video and thats actually the least safe spot, because you will fly across the rest of the truck and theres more of an impact...?

The safest is the back seat in the middle because theres more area to collapsearound it.. you have something like a 85% chance of survival.

Gordo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats crazy I use the latch in the middle also and mine doenst have the latch on the driver side rear bench seat but I use both the seat belt and the latch make sure thats on tight so it dont go nowhere.