lets talk about washing out trucks for a minute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wash my truck every friday and I want to seek some tips, tricks and other information on proper washing.

I know there is a section down at the bottom for this but no one ever goes in there.

I start by washing my car with a wool wash rag, i have a spray bottle full of car soap and spray it directly on the truck and wash it section by section that way.

I think i might be drying wrong (i do use the sheeting method but that still requires cloth drying) so i use a shammy (spelled wrong i think) to dry the rest of my truck.

Than i clean my windows with stoners window cleaners and armor all everything on my truck that is not pain of glass (tires, gray plastic trim, steps, even the vents)

That about wraps up the exterior, the interior is pretty self explanitroy!

here is a trick i wanted to share, i use a can of compressed air (the stuff used to clean keyboards) to blow the water out of all the nooks and sh*t.

I would like to know everyone elses tricks and tips and opionions on keeping your tahoe/denali/excalade lookin sexy

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use a foam gun. Works great, then scrub. Then MR clean auto dry. Then dry what it missed. then use Megulars (sp) Quik auto detailer. Works great and leaves it SHINY. I do this twice a week on the yukon and corvette, once a week on the rest.

diffrnt

Reaction score
I spray the entire truck off first.

I use a one sponge to wash the truck one section at a time. I use a bucket with car wash soap and I also squirt some car soap on the sponge itself. I like if really soapy. I then rinse that section and move onto another section.

I wash the tires and rims with a different sponge but using the same procedure.

I wash under the rocker panels and the tire wells with yet another sponge using the same technique.

I use Eagle Ones spray on wax and then dry using a chamois and use a microfiber cloth to get rid of any streaks.

I clean the widows with Windex and a microfiber cloth. Wiping the Windex off with one side of the cloth and flipping it to get out the streaks. Oh yeah, I use Rain X also.

For the black trim on my bumper I use Mother’s back to black or something like that.

My muffler tips are stainless steel, so I use Mother’s liquid chrome polish.

Don’t forget to clean the door jambs and the back hatch jambs.

I have an air compressor so I spray out the water in all the little nooks and crannies also.

To fully clean my truck inside and out, takes me about 5 hours not including the engine bay which is a job of its on.

But it is all worth it :)

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I use a one sponge to wash the truck one section at a time. I use a bucket with car wash soap and I also squirt some car soap on the sponge itself. I like if really soapy. I then rinse that section and move onto another section.

I wash under the rocker panels and the tire wells with yet another sponge using the same technique.

I use Eagle Ones spray on wax and then dry using a chamois and use a microfiber cloth to get rid of any streaks.

I clean the widows with Windex and a microfiber cloth. Wiping the Windex off with one side of the cloth and flipping it to get out the streaks. Oh yeah, I use Rain X also.

For the black trim on my bumper I use Mother’s back to black or something like that.

I have an air compressor so I spray out the water in all the little nooks and crannies also.

To fully clean my truck inside and out, takes me about 5 hours not including the engine bay which is a job of its on.

I wash my truck every friday and I want to seek some tips, tricks and other information on proper washing.

I know there is a section down at the bottom for this but no one ever goes in there.

I start by washing my car with a wool wash rag, i have a spray bottle full of car soap and spray it directly on the truck and wash it section by section that way.

I think i might be drying wrong (i do use the sheeting method but that still requires cloth drying) so i use a shammy (spelled wrong i think) to dry the rest of my truck.

Than i clean my windows with stoners window cleaners and armor all everything on my truck that is not pain of glass (tires, gray plastic trim, steps, even the vents)

That about wraps up the exterior, the interior is pretty self explanitroy!

here is a trick i wanted to share, i use a can of compressed air (the stuff used to clean keyboards) to blow the water out of all the nooks and sh*t.

I would like to know everyone elses tricks and tips and opionions on keeping your tahoe/denali/excalade lookin sexy

I Got A Rock:shy:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

oh yes, i never forget the door jambs and hatch jamb... i have so many different rags for all the fine tuning at the end.... i keep hearing about this back on black stuff, i just never gave it a shot because i have gray trim (I have the Z71) and i thought the "back on black" stuff would have a black tint so i never gave it a shot... im gonna pick up the stuff next weekend.

The assclown that owned the truck before me put those nasty black door guards on all the doors and when i pulled them off there was a nasty black tar left and no matter how much goo gone and scrubbing i did, i still couldnt get it 100%.... any ideas anyone?

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three words:

Cobblestone Auto Spa...

LOL... just kidding... well, not really. I'm sure Ty can attest to this, but... here in AZ, it's tough to clean a car between April and October. I always get heat stroke if I thoroughly wash my Tahoe. The last time I cleaned the Tahoe myself, I took a 1300PSI pressure washer to it... and filled my driveway with 1/2" of Northern AZ mud.

I've been washing cars for a LONG time. Usually, I use a top-down approach. I soak the whole car first, then start with the roof, and make my way down to the wheels / tires, section by section, soaping and rinsing each section. I used to use a wool mit, but I now don't have money for it and I use a Meguiars sponge. (I also use the Meguiars Carwash) Then, I use my softest towel and dry it. I would use a chamois, but can't afford it... during the summer, that pretty much ends my car wash experience with a tall glass (32oz) of water and heat stroke... LOL In the winter, I pull it into the garage and clean the windows inside and out with Window Cleaner (haven't found one that really makes me giggle... so I just use generic) and throw some protectant (Meguiars) on the tires and trim. Depending on how dirty my wife and 3 year old make the interior, I usually take my Kirby and a bottle of interior cleaner to the inside, applying a light coat of protectant to the plastics / vinyl.

2-3 times a year, I give 'em a hand wax. I usually apply with an applicator sponge and remove / shine with my 10" orbital waxer. I keep a terry cloth on hand for places the waxer can't reach. I also have a high-speed buffer if needed, however my pads are like REALLY old and I need to get another one. I plan to throw some rubbing compound and some polishing compound on the 'hoe in the future... I've got some hard water spots that need to be buffed out... :confused:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I've got some hard water spots that need to be buffed out... :confused:

hey just a quick little fix for those water spots... go get the cheapest white vinigar you can find at the gorcery store and with your softest rag rub that vinigar into those water spots... its will do wonders for them, than wash the truck as normal. It wont be the magic cure all but it should make them much less visible.

RenegadeTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey just a quick little fix for those water spots... go get the cheapest white vinigar you can find at the gorcery store and with your softest rag rub that vinigar into those water spots... its will do wonders for them, than wash the truck as normal. It wont be the magic cure all but it should make them much less visible.

Cool... I'll have to try that. They're not easily seen now... but it's enough to bug me. LOL. I actually think I have some white vinegar... my wife is pregnant and doesn't like to use chemicals to clean... so she made a chem-free cleaning solution... it's got vinegar in it... I'm sure I can find some around here somewhere.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would just regular white wine work??? or does the vinigar do somthing??

I have crap white wine, but no white wine vinigar, and i have those same hard water spots where my sprinker decided to turn it self on at 6 p.m. insted of 6 a.m. :cryin:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I have crap white wine, but no white wine vinigar, and i have those same hard water spots where my sprinker decided to turn it self on at 6 p.m. insted of 6 a.m. :cryin:

not white wine vinigar... the cheapest white vinigar you can buy (basicly not apple cider, wine or other types)

Huck

Reaction score
I use a waterless cleaner on mine. Takes longer to clean, but it looks nice.

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
not white wine vinigar... the cheapest white vinigar you can buy (basicly not apple cider, wine or other types)

Ah you mean VINEGAR?!? :smilielol::gy:

I have a bottle fo the distilled white vinegar to get off any stray wax on the cladding.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Foam gun and all kinds of other stuff I bought from Chris at glimmerglassdetailing.com. He runs specials for the members on www.gmfullsize.com, foam gun is fvcking money cuts wash time in half and works great on 120Lb King Shepherds too.

tast101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to foam it let, the foam soak in for a min, Poorboys soap is the best and it smells great, Top down method. I sheet the water off and pat my truck dry. I have a compressor but never pulled it out. Gonna do a full detail again in a little while, it's that time again. I got my stuff from autogeek.net and chris @ glassglimmerdetailing.com.

diffrnt

Reaction score
The assclown that owned the truck before me put those nasty black door guards on all the doors and when i pulled them off there was a nasty black tar left and no matter how much goo gone and scrubbing i did, i still couldnt get it 100%.... any ideas anyone?

Try using Lift off 2. I think it was someone on this forum that recommended it. I used it to get the adhesive off after I remove the pinstripes from my truck. I got it at Home Depot.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The reason for the vinegar is the acid content, it disolves the hard water deposits, so for that reason, I don't see why other types of vinegar would't do the same. Afte you made the volcano in school did you ever float a raw egg in vinegar untill the entire shell was gone and you had a rubber egg? Yeah, that's what the vinegar is doing to the hard water deposit. I would imagine you'd need to re-wax after that approach. I have some spots on my 'Ho too but I don't think I want to use vinegar on it, I'll just wait until I have the time and motivation to get out the Meguair's dual action cleaner/polisher and my buffer, and, since winter is going to hit soon enough here in Eastern Idaho, that won't be unil June.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reason for the vinegar is the acid content, it disolves the hard water deposits, so for that reason, I don't see why other types of vinegar would't do the same. Afte you made the volcano in school did you ever float a raw egg in vinegar untill the entire shell was gone and you had a rubber egg? Yeah, that's what the vinegar is doing to the hard water deposit. I would imagine you'd need to re-wax after that approach. I have some spots on my 'Ho too but I don't think I want to use vinegar on it, I'll just wait until I have the time and motivation to get out the Meguair's dual action cleaner/polisher and my buffer, and, since winter is going to hit soon enough here in Eastern Idaho, that won't be unil June.

a little over dramatic dont you think? vinegar is not at all harmfull to your vehicle... it might strip the wax some but so does washing your car so i wouldnt worry much

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little over dramatic dont you think? vinegar is not at all harmfull to your vehicle... it might strip the wax some but so does washing your car so i wouldnt worry much

Not at all, just stating the facts, vinegar IS a mild acid, that's why it takes days to eat off the egg shell not minutes. I'm sure as long as a person rinsed it well, and re-waxed, which I said in my post, they'd be okay. My process of a cleaner/polish will strip the wax too so I'm not saying my way is any better or less work. Just 'splaining why you need vinegar not wine and what I would choose to do. I've used diluted vinegar on my windows when I was out of windex so it's not like I'm phobic about it.