Lift Type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a question about different kinds of lifts available. I have heard of the body lift and the other one, springs/shocks i guess?? Im looking for a 3 to 4 inch lift and want everything to work good because I dont have or need a show truck. I just saw a 2500 HD the other day with a 6+ inch lift and myabe 300 pounds of dirt in the back and it was sagging like crazy. I dont want that, I want it to be useable instead of for show. Thanks for all the help!

2001 Tahoe LT Autoride

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look on the left side of the forum for the 4wheelparts.com link and go from there. I can see you need to do a bit of reading and searching. No worries, we all started at the same point :D

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good, thanks! Ive got some things down but im not too mechanically capable i guess you could say. thanks again! ill start doin some research tonight

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your not too mechanically inclined i would suggest going to a respectable 4x4 place that does good installs and you know your not getting ripped off. but another good idea is to write down prices on all the kits you look at whether it be a body lift or a suspension by procomp, fabtech, rancho,superlift ect, ect. just get a good idea and its always a good idea to check with us what people want to charge you do it. i cant really give you a idea on how much it would cost because ive always done lifts myself. but they did want about 2200 to do a 6" on my fathers 350. :eek::eek2:

mattjames07

Reaction score
Hey I am new here and I dont want to hijack your thread but I am also interested in lifting my new (to me) 2000 Tahoe. I purchased it a couple of days ago and already have a laundry list of questions...

I have noticed on here people with Autoride what is that cause I couldnt find anything in my manual about it?

I would like to lift it about 2", 3" max is there anything I should be aware of that will effect anything major?

What is the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift?

Is there a lift kit that will make the front end level with so it doesnt have that little slant to it?

With a 2-3" lift how big of tires/rims will I be able to fix on the hoe?

I think that is it for now, thanks for the help?

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i might be able to help on a few of your questions mattjames but I also have some of the same questions you have:) Autoride is a suspension leveling unit for the rear suspension. It levels the ride out if you put a trailer or other heavy load on. If you have it you should hear a buzzing by your rear drivers side tire every time you start it up.

Dont know much about lifting but I think that a body lift is more more show, again dont quote me on that. And there are leveling kits available, I just dont know what kind are good.

As for your other questions, hopefully somebody can answer them for you!! Welcome to the forum, its a great place and I am sure you will learn alot!

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a question about different kinds of lifts available. I have heard of the body lift and the other one, springs/shocks i guess?? Im looking for a 3 to 4 inch lift and want everything to work good because I dont have or need a show truck. I just saw a 2500 HD the other day with a 6+ inch lift and myabe 300 pounds of dirt in the back and it was sagging like crazy. I dont want that, I want it to be useable instead of for show. Thanks for all the help!

2001 Tahoe LT Autoride

You can't go wrong with a Rancho lift and Rancho 9000XL Shocks. 4wheelparts.com is okay but they tend to push ProComp on you, at least the ones in AZ do.

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I am new here and I dont want to hijack your thread but I am also interested in lifting my new (to me) 2000 Tahoe. I purchased it a couple of days ago and already have a laundry list of questions...

I have noticed on here people with Autoride what is that cause I couldnt find anything in my manual about it?

I would like to lift it about 2", 3" max is there anything I should be aware of that will effect anything major?

What is the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift?

Is there a lift kit that will make the front end level with so it doesnt have that little slant to it?

With a 2-3" lift how big of tires/rims will I be able to fix on the hoe?

I think that is it for now, thanks for the help?

If you want 2-3" a body lift would be ideal and they are not all show, they are just as effective as a suspension lift. there is nothing wrong with a body lift, most people look down on them because they spend all this loot on a 12" suspension lift and frown upon $300 for a body lift cause they spent all their money already. :ktoe:

to get rid of the rake(front end slant) you can crank the front torsion bars on the front which is simple.

im pretty sure you can fit 33"s of a 3" lift.

btw a body lift obviously puts larger spacers between the body and frame thus lifting it. a suspension lift is either a drop or spindle drop. fabtech and some others just give you taller spindles which bumps the trackwidth out and makes it look goofy for one and also puts your cvs at a higher angle. though those are easier to install the full drops are better since you retain your stock cv angle height.

mattjames07

Reaction score
If you want 2-3" a body lift would be ideal and they are not all show, they are just as effective as a suspension lift. there is nothing wrong with a body lift, most people look down on them because they spend all this loot on a 12" suspension lift and frown upon $300 for a body lift cause they spent all their money already. :ktoe:

to get rid of the rake(front end slant) you can crank the front torsion bars on the front which is simple.

im pretty sure you can fit 33"s of a 3" lift.

btw a body lift obviously puts larger spacers between the body and frame thus lifting it. a suspension lift is either a drop or spindle drop. fabtech and some others just give you taller spindles which bumps the trackwidth out and makes it look goofy for one and also puts your cvs at a higher angle. though those are easier to install the full drops are better since you retain your stock cv angle height.

Hey thanks for the info I appreciate it. I have decided to lift it by replacing the keys. I found a place here in GA that will do it for $250 including the alignement:eek2:. I am going to keep the original rim size (16") and then throw some 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on some aftermarket rims I picked out. Hopefully everything comes out good I will post some pics as soon as its done hopefully I can get it in the shop next week.

Again thanks for the explanations!!!