Lost IPC back lighting after new stereo install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mriley99

Reaction score
I recently installed an aftermarket stereo in my 03 Tahoe. I used the GMOS-04 wiring harness and it wired up nicely. The only issue I have now with the new install is that I have lost the back lighting for my gauges. I cannot see any of my gauges after dark. This seems weird to me since the stereo install was not anywhere near the instrument cluster.

I tried to move wires around behind the stereo to see if there was a loose wire or something and the lights would come on but they didn't. I reinstalled the original stereo to see if the gauge lights would work then and they still did not work.

Is there a fuse for these lights? It doesn't seem possible to me that coincidentally all those lights happen to go out the same time I replaced the stereo. I am sure I am just missing something.

mriley99

Reaction score
I found a wiring schematic of the harness that connects to the instrument cluster. I checked for voltage to the lamps and the voltage is there. This voltage rises and falls with the dimmer switch also so it doesn't look to be a blown fuse.

For a temporary fix, I purchased a flexible strip of LED lights and mounted inside the instrument cluster. I wired the power for the LED's to the wires in the wiring harness for the instrument cluster lights and that works well. I can even dim them with the dimmer switch.

Maybe all those bulbs did burn out?