Lowering Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tah0e02

Reaction score
I was wondering what are some of the ways to lower a 2002 chevrolet tahoe lt 2wd? I keep hearing about this Mcguaghy's lowering kit but i cannot find it :cool2: for my year make a model. Anyone know where to purchase it ? Also im thinking of getting 22's, how many inches do some of your recommed to drop the hoe to for a clean look and reasonable ride?

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the Eibach Truck Pro 2" Lowering kit for the rear of my Tahoe. I may end up getting the front kit down the road but I'll make that decision once I have the coils installed. I was originally looking at the McGaughy leveling kit but the price was right on the Eibach kit. I couldn't pass them up for $118..

Here's some info on the McGaughy kits. With a 2WD, you have more options. The 2/3 will look good but if you want it lower, you can go with the 3/5.

tah0e02

Reaction score
I just ordered the Eibach Truck Pro 2" Lowering kit for the rear of my Tahoe. I may end up getting the front kit down the road but I'll make that decision once I have the coils installed. I was originally looking at the McGaughy leveling kit but the price was right on the Eibach kit. I couldn't pass them up for $118..

Here's some info on the McGaughy kits. With a 2WD, you have more options. The 2/3 will look good but if you want it lower, you can go with the 3/5.

why do you want to lower the back but not the front ?

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are re-indexed keys that lower the front of your truck approx 2". We installed keys in mine and it brought the front down noticeably. IIRC, Boostaholic has stock keys out of a 3/4 ton truck and it dropped his a little over 3"

tah0e02

Reaction score
Do you think they make them for the rear also ? And also from your guys's opinion what is the best thing to do (1) use torsion keys for the front and rear or (2) use the McGaughy lowering kit ?

06tahoez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't go the torsion key route in the back since you only have them in the front, coils are in the rear. It really depends on the look you want. If you want a slammed look then you want a lowering kit (keys and coils, McGaughy, Belltech, Eibach etc) but if you just want to level the rear to meet the front you can go with lowering coils only.

The nice thing is there are a few different options, you get to pick the one that best suits your desired results.

tah0e02

Reaction score
oooo now i get it thanks for clearing that all up;) i think i am prolly going to go with the full kit. Im going to search forum to see if i can find any 2002 tahoes with 2/3 drop or 3/5.... i like how JKmotorsports tahoe looks but im not looking to put 24" rims on my hoe prolly just 22" they are much cheaper. Ohh yeah and has anyone tried the Ground force brand ?

Last edited:

Alex33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2/3 on mine over some 20s, nothing too crazy since I still wanted a truck I wasn't afraid to drive. I haven't tried ground force for tahoes/yukons, but I am familiar with them from my S10 days and they make an excellent quality product. I would recommend them to anyone.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
If you're looking to go more than a couple inches, it would be very wise to use a kit that replaces the stock spindles. When you adjust the front suspension with the keys, you also change the camber and have to get it re-aligned. You can get back within spec if you only go about a couple inches. Anymore than that, you'll run out of adjustment range on the camber plates and you'll be stuck with negative camber, which will quickly wear the insides of your front tires. Dropped spindles on the other hand, doesn't require any change in the actual geometry of the suspension, so ride quality and alignment are kept in check.
To answer your question about Groundforce; I've used them once in one of my Z28s. Ride quality and the quality of the product seemed no different than the Eibach sportline kits I've always used otherwise on my autox cars. Haven't used their kits for anything other than that, but I'm sure if the quality was there in that kit, it'll be there in the rest of their line.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and a buddy have over 3" of drop from stock 3/4 ton chevy keys with no issues with alignment. My truck drives just like it did stock but handles way better. I honestly don't know how much drop mine got up front but comparing fender heights with another stock denali I was 4" lower all around. Spindles or some djm lowers
CA2000L-3.jpg

are a much better choice but I'm somehow an exception to the rule. Buy some shorter shocks, stock purple keys, and some 3" coils out back
stock:
IMG00193.jpg

dropped:
IMG00280.jpg

Or go with a 3/5 or 4/5 drop like JK and it will look dope as fu*k :thumbsup:

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and a buddy have over 3" of drop from stock 3/4 ton chevy keys with no issues with alignment. My truck drives just like it did stock but handles way better. I honestly don't know how much drop mine got up front but comparing fender heights with another stock denali I was 4" lower all around. Spindles or some djm lowers
CA2000L-3.jpg

are a much better choice but I'm somehow an exception to the rule. Buy some shorter shocks, stock purple keys, and some 3" coils out back
stock:
IMG00193.jpg

dropped:
IMG00280.jpg

Or go with a 3/5 or 4/5 drop like JK and it will look dope as fu*k :thumbsup:
Damn your Denali looks sick. I'm normally into lifting trucks, but your Denali really makes me want to lower my Hoe.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Me and a buddy have over 3" of drop from stock 3/4 ton chevy keys with no issues with alignment...

That's cool. I wonder if there are different stock camber plates available for different models:confused2: . I know I dropped a little less than 3" the first time and I had no room left to add a few needed degrees of camber adjustment.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah all these chevys are different, my brother's dmax rode like a dream with a leveling kit and 33s but some trucks ride like bricks. Mine being an 02 I'm guessing the springs are soft and the 6.0 puts more weight on the front end, or I'm just talking out my ass and I lucked out on my truck. You can buy adjustable eccentrics for these trucks tho.

nimo_253

Reaction score
Same question but different rim size... I have a 02' Z71 Tahoe I'll be picking up some 26s, what is a resonable drop? Thinking of getting a set of Eibachs.

My tahoe is gonna look murdered out like that yukon/denali in the previous post...

tah0e02

Reaction score
If you're looking to go more than a couple inches, it would be very wise to use a kit that replaces the stock spindles. When you adjust the front suspension with the keys, you also change the camber and have to get it re-aligned. You can get back within spec if you only go about a couple inches. Anymore than that, you'll run out of adjustment range on the camber plates and you'll be stuck with negative camber, which will quickly wear the insides of your front tires. Dropped spindles on the other hand, doesn't require any change in the actual geometry of the suspension, so ride quality and alignment are kept in check.
To answer your question about Groundforce; I've used them once in one of my Z28s. Ride quality and the quality of the product seemed no different than the Eibach sportline kits I've always used otherwise on my autox cars. Haven't used their kits for anything other than that, but I'm sure if the quality was there in that kit, it'll be there in the rest of their line.

Thanks for clearing that up for me, i dont want to mess with the geomtry of my tahoe.

ayeplussjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McGaughy Drop Kits

I'm thinking of doing the 2/3 drop on my '06 hoe, but the McGaughy kit I wanted to use requires 17" wheels or higher. The only problem with that is in the winter time I put my 16" stocks back on to take snowboard trips in Lake Tahoe. Are there any kits out there that will work with 16" wheels? I wanted to use spindles instead of the keys base on what JKMotorsports said. Any suggestions?

tah0e02

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing the 2/3 drop on my '06 hoe, but the McGaughy kit I wanted to use requires 17" wheels or higher. The only problem with that is in the winter time I put my 16" stocks back on to take snowboard trips in Lake Tahoe. Are there any kits out there that will work with 16" wheels? I wanted to use spindles instead of the keys base on what JKMotorsports said. Any suggestions?

yeah right now im riding on my 16" stocks also but maybe it would still work on the 16"s i dont see why one inch would matter :susel: hehe