LS1,2... engine swap into Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d15bastard

Reaction score
Has anyone ever been involved with, or done a swap of this kind?

I have an 04 tahoe and would like throw an LS1 or 2 in it. From what I have read, its pretty much a drop in.

Just looking for some feed back from someone that has done one.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you mean the vette ls2 , dude if your gunna spend the money might as well get a c6, i asked about that months ago and was told its not just a swap, and that it sould be about 50k to change the engine compartment and upgrade the drive train so it does not get ripped to shreds. :thumbsup:

d15bastard

Reaction score
50k? hmm, kinda outta my price range. Okay, whats the typical swap for these.

Before I get flamed, I should probably search some more. But I havent come across anything yet.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50k? hmm, kinda outta my price range. Okay, whats the typical swap for these.

Before I get flamed, I should probably search some more. But I havent come across anything yet.

dont worry enless there are some people i have not met here, you should not get flamed,

but the engine your looking at about 10-15 and then all the modifications, i would get a high preformance gm motor built for the hoe insted of the vette, probably save you 20-30k a 572 would be sick :Chevy:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Well whatever you decide to do, you'll need to keep the drivetrain in mind. The 4l60E trans is a good unit, but can only handle up to 360 ft·lb of engine torque. An LSx swap would be bad@ss, but you're looking at tons of money not only for the engine itself, but the harness and pcm, and upgraded drivetrain. You can pull the 5.3 and bore it, put in a more aggressive profile cam, new intake manifold, port/polish the heads, higher ratio rockers, re-tune the pcm, etc, etc, and come out cheaper than a LSx swap and have TONS of hp and tq. Swapping the 4L60E for a 4L80E will hold up better to more power.
Or you can just add a $500 N20 system for an extra 150+ hp:D

tahoebigah

Reaction score
you could swap in a 6.0l and you can use your existing accessories and connectors and plus it is a cheap swap. All you have to do is a find a long block.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
you could swap in a 6.0l and you can use your existing accessories and connectors and plus it is a cheap swap. All you have to do is a find a long block.

True. You can even just bore your existing block to a 6.0l. The 5.3 and the 6.0 share the same stroke, just different bore sizes.

importmd

Reaction score
if you want to build a motor i would go to the book store and buy the book called "How to build high performance chevy LS1/LS6 V8s" it by SA design. very helpfull book. they talk alot about the Vortec motors 4.8 5.3 and 6.0. the vortec motors are pretty much the same as the LS series just cast iron block. I plan on building a 6.0 for my Tahoe. You can get the LQ4 engine for 1,500 bucks, LQ9 is twice that.

Last edited:

energ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would just like to remind EVERYONE HERE SAYING A 4L60E will not hold the power of an LS1 that the 4L60E is the trans the comes in the AUTOMATIC vettes and f-body cars...

if you would like you can get a set of LS1/2/ or 6 heads and bolt them up, along with an intake manifold and TB setup from an LS engine as well

most guys with an lsx car that want to run forced induction swap their block out for the cast iron found in our trucks and use the LS heads

radkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are better off modifying the 5.3 rather than replacing it. Both from a cost standpoint and performance. The 5.3 produces more of a flat torque band useful for heavy vehicles whereas the LS1 and LS2 are more high HP motors with a peakier (is that a word?) torque curve and a focus on higher RPM hp.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
i would just like to remind EVERYONE HERE SAYING A 4L60E will not hold the power of an LS1 that the 4L60E is the trans the comes in the AUTOMATIC vettes and f-body cars...

ya but the fbodies and vette dont have a GVW of over 6000 lbs! ;)

This is why the tranny needs to be upgraded. It's much less stress trying to move a 3200 lb car than a 6000+ lb truck. You don't neccesarily have to replace the entire trans, but at least overhaul it with hardened internals and better clutches/bands.

bparker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:iagree:
This is why the tranny needs to be upgraded. It's much less stress trying to move a 3200 lb car than a 6000+ lb truck. You don't neccesarily have to replace the entire trans, but at least overhaul it with hardened internals and better clutches/bands.

sixty9fordkiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can make a mean engine out of a 5.3. To make a long story short, stay with your 5.3 and work it. If you have a high milage 5.3 then get a complete rebuild kit with higher compression pistons but if its not too high and not abused, you can get a re-ring kit and buy/install higher compression pistons so you can make use of parts designed for LS1/2/6 engines. Then you can cam, CAI, stall converter, shift kit, underdrive, and install some AFR heads for and LS1/LS6 engine . Then get the computer tuned with your choice of tuner (LS1 edit will probably work best) headers and then get a custom true dual exhaust (2.5") and gear for your rear end (4.11) and that should be good to go. If you need to go faster than that then you need to get a vette or some psychiatric counseling, because youd be sick in the head if you wanna go faster than that on a heavy ride that should be running a solid low 14 to high 13 second 1/4 mile by the time you've completed installing that setup (mid to low 13's if you put a 150HP squeeze on it)....on 24s! :D. Id say youd spend about $3000 ($3500ish if you want the shot of NOS too) on this entire set up but thats still less than what it would cost you to buy and LS1 or 6 and and then the harness on top of that! The LS1 and LS6 would also require the additional mods i described to get it to run as good as this setup i just mentioned for the 5.3L because the computer tuning, gears, CAI, cam, stall converter, underdrive, AFRs (or your choice of heads), and exhaust is something you'd still have to do to them as well. Whew....try saying all that in one breath!

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5.3 can make just as much power with some mods and still be a good truck motor for towing and such. You'll need to drop about 9k into the motor and trans. I'd recommend a trick performance turbo kit with an intercooler and ls6 cam:
trickturbo.jpg

http://www.trickperformanceproducts.com/turbo_frontpage_intro.htm
And some trans work from flt, guys really know their stuff:
4L60ELevel4.jpg

http://finishlinetrans.com/store/index.php?cPath=1_22
Find a good tuner and you'll be laying down 500whp/600wtq with great reliability and better mileage if you stay off the skinny pedal.