MAACO?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nes881

Reaction score
Has anyone here gotten a Maaco paint job on there tahoes/yukons?
My black paint is looking its age and i just need some minor ding removal and a fresh paint job. I know theres the sayin you get what you paid for but Maaco has been around for awhile so Im sure they must do something decent. Can you guys post any pics if you have gotten a Maaco paint job. Thanks......

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just say no. unless you personally know the painter and know he'll do a good job. just say no.

i heard about there crap jobs on several occasions when i took auto body in vocational a couple years back. we have one around here that supposedly has a painter that does a good job. but in auto body shops you get what you pay for most of the time. (unless they rip you off)

Biggwaukegan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
say no to maaco. dont disrespect the tahoe like that bro. pay the stack and get it done right....

Nes881

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks for the info, I just didnt want a showroom shine or custom paint job I wanted something to just bring back some life to my yukon.

1999HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on ther e pricing packages you get what ya pay for i would take mine to a vocational school before ide go to maaco

sasquatch094

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt even know about taking it to a tech school to be honest. ive seen some sh*tty work done at our tech school. But then ive seen a maaco paint job last 3 yrs and still look good. It all depends who you know in there and everything else. I personally would never do it, but its up to you. The macco by me just went out of business around May, and so i went to the owners house where he held all of the products he had left over (it was at his house since the building was up for sheriffs sale and he couldn't afford the payments on it anymore) , but i went to his house and bought freaking tons of painting supplies for dirt cheap. like masking machines, sand paper, some primer, guns, frame machine, masking tape and everything else for it.

tim@sp

Reaction score
you get "ok" work done at macco... I had a honda done about 5 years ago and you could pick out some bad spots, but you had to get up to the car to see them. I am having mine done there, but I am doing much of the prep/taping work. I am also going to remove whatever i can to make it look as clean as possible. I think I was quoted $500 for base/clear, which is not that bad. They Told me that if i see anything wrong to make sure I tell them and they will fix it.

If I was going for a Show truck... Macco would not be my place of choice... I just want the truck to be shiney and scatch free again.

Nes881

Reaction score
Thanks Tim, I am not looking for a show truck paint job. I just want a new paint job for the tired black paint I have now. Thats not a bad price for a paint job, i have no rust in the truck(that i can see) but i have door dings that need to be massaged out so I wonder how much more they would charge for that. But post some pics when you have your paint job done.....

tim@sp

Reaction score
We have a mobile dent repair guy in the area that does a VERY good job with most dents. Look one up in your area and see what he would charge you. Most of own their own business and work pretty cheap especially if you can get a few cars there for him to do.

Its worth a shot

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A paint job is really only as good as the prep work. It's not terribly difficult to shoot paint on if you are looking for a decent result. If you wanted a show car result, then obviously you would want to pay someone you trust to do it. If you do a good job on all the prep yourself, then take it to maaco to shoot it , you will have good results unless they hired monkeys. I wouldn't have a problem taking my Tahoe there if it needed new paint.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres prep that has to be done in the booth as well before you can shoot the vehicle and if its not done any little spec of dust or and impurity that they didn't get during the final wipe down could cause you problems on your finished product.

I'm not trying to get on anyones case but there is a lot of prep that goes into a vehicle before you can paint it if you want it to last. you won't be able to do all of it yourself if your having it painted at a shop. if your not paying them much to do it, they are probably not paying that painter much to prep and paint the vehicle. especially a large SUV. thats just my $0.02 on the topic. They offer diferent levels of quality IIRC. don't get the cheapest one they offer.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bud had his 74 superbeetle painted by maaco. from what I saw, it wasnt that good of a job. there was overspray inside the engine bay and doors jambs, and I remember a pissy masking job, where you could see the original yellow color around the edges of the windows.
so yeah, maybe make sure you get a few quotes from different paint shops, and ask what they do if your "unsatistied" afterwards. Im sure they can work you through it.

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My bud had his 74 superbeetle painted by maaco. from what I saw, it wasnt that good of a job. there was overspray inside the engine bay and doors jambs, and I remember a pissy masking job, where you could see the original yellow color around the edges of the windows.
so yeah, maybe make sure you get a few quotes from different paint shops, and ask what they do if your "unsatistied" afterwards. Im sure they can work you through it.

That's why I said if you do all the prep work yourself (which includes masking) you can get a decent result from maaco. I definitely would not let them prep it though.

I've had reputable shops mess up a paint job too. Good suggestion to see what their customer satisfaction policies are.